Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
19 month old son with bad anger

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

19 month old son with bad anger

i need help really bad i have a 19 month old that gets really bad anger he will hit and kick me throw things at me and kick my stomach with me being pregnant and then he will kick and hit his baby cousin that i babysit i have tried everything i pay alot of attention to him and all and he still acts like this everyone has a feeling that he has got out of hand what do i do please help me
Oh goodness and not even two yet!  You sound like you have your hands full and baby number two will soon be here.  

What is tough about this age is that a lot of little guys have quite limited speech.  They act out what they can't say.  They also have immature little emotions and don't handle things very well.  That is universal to all little kids so don't feel alone.  Some act out more than others but all go through growing pains in emotional development.

So, a couple of things that might help.  Like I said, your little one is such a young age that any parenting technique will get more and more effective as he gets older.  AND, it is important to remember that when we are trying to change behavior that it takes a bit of time.  It can take a full 3 weeks before you see any change so whatever parenting technique you try, keep at it for a good while before deciding it isn't working.

I think what helped me in those early years was a "mama's not playing attitude" when it came to bad behavior.  I've never spanked my kids and try not to yell at them, so that is not what I mean.  I'm talking more about being firm and following through with what I say.  I also had a natural consequence approach.  If my child throws a toy, that toy would be taken away immediately.  If my child throws a fit in the grocery store, I would pick them up, leave my full cart and leave the store.  (had to do this two times----------  kids hate it and following through is important and effective).  I stay very calm myself---------  if I escalate and get upset, so do the kids.  You are the parent, you are the boss and you just stay calm knowing that.  

Now, go to the library and check out a book called "hands are not for hitting".  It is a good book to read to him.  Then talk about his emotions with him "you look mad"  "tell mommy why you are mad, use your words".  And if he hits, that is a time out.  Time outs for little guys of 19 m onths are tricky.  I found taking the valued item was more effective such as a blankie.  I didn't take it for long but the blankie went into time out.  Do this every time he hits.  I think that unless he is a giant, pregnant or not you can hold his harm as he strikes out to hit you.  I'd grab it gently and say "no hit".  Keep it simple.  

One other thing, kids of that age sometimes have too much energy for their own good and it comes out as behavior problems.  Get him into some physical activity.  Take him somewhere every day so that he can run, jump, swing, climb, slide, roll, etc.  Do it around the house in the forms of games.  The more the better.  There is a direct link with behavior.

Good luck and hang in there.  They do eventually grow up!
Oh wow... my DD started her terrible twos early too.... I think its the "speech" that gets him frustrated... Keep your calm, its hard, but in the end its worth it.