Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
19month old twins behavior
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

19month old twins behavior

My twin girls are always whinny and fussy,at home and in daycare. Their teacher told me that everyday they fall out and crys for about 10mins when they cant get what they want or dont get their way, they have been going to this daycare for a month now,even when i drop them off every morning they cry and fall out like its their first day at the daycare. they dont fall out at home because i will spank them when they do..but its like they do it where they know they can get away w/ it. or if they are w/ other family members.

i really dont know what to do because i dont want them to get removed from the daycare because of their behavior. should i take them to a therapist or what???? thanks in advance!!!
Related Discussions
18 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
134578_tn?1383690151
I'd look into a parenting class and look at your ways of interacting with the girls overall.
Blank
i dont have a problem w/ interacting w/ them at all,we play and interact everyday so i dont need any parenting classes i know for sure.
Blank
134578_tn?1383690151
Honey, I was reacting to the fact that you spank them.
Blank
ok well its nothing wrong w/ spanking your child!
Blank
134578_tn?1383690151
OK, well, I will try this once, but if all it does is make you yell at me, I won't come back.  Spanking is a good way to make your girls whiny and fussy.  Please read the following, which is from the American Academy of Pediatrics, the most respected authority on raising children in this country and probably one of the most respected in the world.  I think that you are telling me that your parenting is perfect and you therefore do not need any parenting class, but the fact that you did not know this about spanking makes me feel there might be some teeny tiny thing here or there that you also do not know about parenting, and that possibly if you took a parenting class you would be able to unravel why your kids are always whiny and fussy.  Here is from the American Academy of Pediatrics:

PHYSICAL PUNISHMENT

Parents often ask, "Should I spank my child?"

Many parents occasionally lose their patience or, in anger or fear, may spank their youngster. For instance, if a child runs out into the street, a parent may sweep the child up and, in a moment of anxiety for the child's well-being, spank her to emphasize the parent's sense of urgency or worry.

Spanking may relieve a parent's frustration for the moment and extinguish the undesirable behavior for a brief time. But it is the least effective way to discipline.

It is harmful emotionally to both parent and child. Not only can it result in physical harm, but it teaches children that violence is an acceptable way to discipline or express anger. While stopping the behavior temporarily, it does not teach alternative behavior. It also interferes with the development of trust, a sense of security, and effective communication. (Spanking often becomes the method of communication.) It also may cause emotional pain and resentment.

WHERE WE STAND

The American Academy of Pediatrics strongly opposes striking a child. If the spanking is spontaneous, parents should later explain calmly why they did it, the specific behavior that provoked it, and how angry they felt. They might apologize to their child for their loss of control, because that usually helps the youngster understand and accept the spanking.  
Blank
Most kids are fussy at that age, they sound like normal toddlers to me. Im not going to say its "wrong" to spank bc its not up to me to tell you so. I myself have given a spank here and there (on the behind) to my kid, some people think its cruel and its not. Thats how the majority of the world is raised and most people are decent human beings.

Well frankly to me those that never "spank" are the parents with the crazy five yr olds stomping and yelling when they dont get their way -- in a public place.
Blank
Thx u soo much for the POSITIVE response..and u are sooo right,she's makin it seem like I'm abusing my kids,I'm not a perfect parent but I know my parenting skills are good,where I don't need classes.in the bible it even says its ok to spank ur kids. It will not hurt them if anything it will teach them and make them learn to obey. Yeah I guess they will grow out of it by time they turn 2..thxs again!!

Blank
I don't care if u come back or not,but don't post any comments or articles on my post telling me about my parenting skills and how to dicipline my kids..u would be the parent in public w/ ur child  acting out kickin and screaming b/c u don't spank your child...
Blank
13167_tn?1327197724
This is typical of small children who are spanked.  

When they are away from the possibility of  physical violence,  they misbehave.

Blank
13167_tn?1327197724
Okay,  Mochame,  I just read through the entire thread.

You're not getting this,  at all.

Small children who are controlled through pain don't learn to behave.  They only learn to behave with the person who will cause them pain.

When they are in an environment where no one will hurt them,  they behave horribly.

You don't seem to want to understand and absorb this,  but it's true.

You can absorb it now,  or absorb it in years down the road.  Spanking your children will make them behave in situations where they will be spanked,  and will make them cut loose in situations where they aren't afraid of violence.

In 20 years,  you'll get this if you don't get it now.
Blank
You are not a bad parent but rearing children can be tricky.  I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old.  My partner believes in spanking and i do not think it is effective.  I agree with Rockrose, my kids are dead scared of their father but not me.  It is a good thing that they spend more time with me as they could easily get out of hand especially the boy.  He is been spanked so much that he finds it difficult to just follow simple instructions without force( i have learnt to be patient-even when I don't feel like it).  I reason with him and i understand that it is not easy to reason with 19 month old tots.  When my son was 19 months I used to explain to him and just ignore him until he gets to his senses.  Good Luck.  Bad parents do not seek advice from parenting websites.
Blank
707563_tn?1395081210
Let's not debate the spanking this any longer - Mochame has certainly heard your views.  If you'd like to offer advice about the day care situation, that's fine, but leave it to that topic.

Emily
Blank
thank you... good grief!!!......ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blank
127529_tn?1331844380
The thing is that the problem with the daycare situation is a direct result of the way this poster disciplines her children at home (rightly or wrongly, who am I to say?), as no daycare provider would spank some one else's children both the parents and the daycare provider need to be using the same kinds of methods to discipline the children; time outs are a good example of a non physical way of disciplining a young child and can be used in both a home and daycare situation with good results.
Blank
You are  so right! And about us and the daycare using the same method, I was thinking the samething once  b4..thxs for ur help
Blank
127529_tn?1331844380
Look up nanny Jo Frost, timeout. She has excellent advice on discipline that can work both at home and with the daycare.
Blank
377493_tn?1356505749
When there is a problem with a young child, such as acting out, I am a big believer in talking to an expert.  Just as I would take my son to see a Dr. if he was physically ill, I would probably take him to a child physcologist if he was acting out in an inappropriate fashion. Young children cannot properly communicate what is going on with them, and there may be more to this then meets the eye.  If my son was doing this in daycare, and not at home, I would be a bit concerned.  Maybe have a professional take a look and see if there is anything more to this that you need to be concerned about.  

Blank
Ok thanks again for the positive feedback,I will look into both ;)
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...