Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
1st post in this forum..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

1st post in this forum..

How busy or empty is this forum.
my daughter is 2 & a half. she wont tell me she needs to go toilet b4 she wees... she likes to run of and hide to have a poo... so i dont no how to start potty training... she just wees wherever she is then goes 'o no wee' then goes to the bathroom and sits on loo... ?
Hi there!  This forum is really fairly quiet, but we have some great regular contributors who are happy to share their own personal experiences.

Potty training comes up a lot around here.  I actually talked to my own Pediatrician about it at my son's last check up as he hasn't shown any interest at all either, and he just turned 3 last week.  I'll share with you what she told me.

The first thing to remember is that there is a pretty large range of normal for when toddlers will potty train.  We all hear the stories of the barely turned 2 year old, but in reality, for most kids it's usually around 3 or so.  Lots of kids though are closer to 4, and they are all normal.

Toddlers have very little control in their lives.  So how much they eat, when they fall asleep and when they use the bathroom are some of the few things they can control.  They are at an age where they are trying so hard to be independent.  So the best thing to do in most cases with potty training is to not push or prod, or even coax.  It's just like eating...the more we bug them to eat more, the more they resist.  Keep the potty handy and visible.  Show her what it's for. And let her watch you use the "big girl" potty.  Let her know she can use it whenever she is ready.  But don't push or bring it up all the time.  My son came out of the blue the other day and told me had to go pee.  I asked him if he wanted to use the big boy potty and he said yes.  I think the fact that it was his idea was what prompted it, as opposed to me always asking him.  He still isn't consistent, but it's a start.  She'll use it when she is ready.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you :)