Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
2 1/2 year old sick,runny nose,congested and not eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

ok so our daughter Cheyenne is 2 1/2 and has been sick...i thought it was just a cold but seems to be getting worse..9not that i wanted her too but i like to see if it was gonna go away on it's on or not) as a mom sometimes kids just get runny nose's soo i figured that's what it was...well this has been goning on for a week!  all started last thursday now today is feb. 4th..soo for a week now she had a stuffy nose that turned to a runny nose with fever no hight than 100.F..then it turned to her not eating! she will eat here an there but nothing like she was b4 being sick! i am literally sick to my stomach!  we recently had a new addition but she love her baby brother dearly! alway's helps mommy an all an always gives him kisses on forehead..what is going on? is this not wanting to eat normal? now tomorrow we will going to the doctors office bout the whole fever thing an such cuz it is scareing me! pleas help me asap!
It is normal for toddler's to eat a  lot on day and then just basically stop eating the next.  It has to do with their growth spurts.  Also, the fever under 100 isn't necessairly a huge concern.  Fever is the body's natural way to fight infection.  Does she have all her molars in yet??  Both my girls run fever and have stuffy, runny noses when they're cutting teeth, this would also explain the lack of eating if they're hurting.
i kinda figured it was normal for the not eating thing an all...I am pretty sure that she has all her moalrs!  but i am not 100% sure on that!.....but the thing that get's me is it's been a whole darn week now!  i am soo upset, scared, and beasically sick to my stomach thinking.worring bout her!..the runny nose thing and all that has now turned for the worse in my eyes where she will cough an gasp for air...i had whooping cough when i was 14 an in 7th grade soo i am hopeing she does not have that! ughh is scares me..
She should have already had her vaccination for whooping cough, it's part of the DTaP shot.  Unless, you aren't vaccinating her.  Try not to worry.You're going to the doctor today, right??  Sometimes it just takes their little bodies longer to get over viruses than it does us...Keep me updated on what you find out...
yes she has had that vaccine...well we went to the doctors yesterday! and they tested her for strep..that was neg. thank god...and no whooping cough..just a really bad cold...the doctor perscribed her some syrup...that covers her runny nose an all that..which is working like a charm..she is now eating an acting herself again..just trying to get her to take it is the hard part...it smells bitter an she doesn't like the way it taste! grr..so i put it in her drink today...i had too it..she needed her med..was that wrong of me to do?  
btw thanks for being here for me!
That's great news. Most the time on medicine they still absorb well with juice or water.  Also, if you ask your pharmacist there are certain meds they can mix with a flavor that's more appeasing to a toddler. Alot of times they can just "water" it down with a neutral flavor as well.  It would definately be worth a call to the pharmacy to check it out.  If she stops taking it all together check with doc for a different med.  I know mine has taken the Histinex-HC for that type of thing and it worked great.  They flavored it with grape!!
Side Note- Mine's been running fever of 102.7 since this morning. :(  It finally broke about an hour ago, thank God. I guess it's that time of year...(at least here in OK)
yeah it is!..not that i'm trying to sound like i don't care or anything..but i am sick now! ughh  it hit me hard lastnight..our son 2 months was up at 1am an 5;30am that is also the same time cheyenne got up and we have been up since...she took her meds the smorning no question asked!...anywho..she wont stop coughing..
sorry to hear about your little one..glad the fever broke!  that get's scarey when it gets high!...
well i think we are gonna try to lay down we are both yawning...talk to you later
keep me updated on your little one!
Well, we've finally kept the fever under 102.1, so that's a plus.  It's starting to drop down to about 99 with medicine now.  Uck...that's awful, looks like you're soon going to have a houseful of sickies.  Well, hope you all fell better soon...
I am glad that your little one's fever is under control!  Cheyenne's coughing is horriable...she wakes up in the middle of the night with really bad coughing spells..ugh no wonder i am beat..her brother wakes up at 1am an then again at 4am to nurse soo my sleep isn't there like it was a week ago...he was sleeping for 7hrs straight..ughh
yeah pretty soon i think i am gonna get sick too..my sore throat is from going out side with the dog and sleeping in the cold..hubby is the one who started all this sickness!
well anyway's glad to hear from ya!  hope your little one get's better soon!
honey is natural antibiotic..try green tea mama with lemon and honey