Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
2 year old problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

2 year old problems

I have a 27 month old son that will not liaten to anyone for anything. Recently he has been very whinny for no reason he pitches fits every time he is told no. He hits himself and or hits his head on the ground. I cannot get him to stay n the bed when i put him down, time outs dont work neither do spankings or taking away toys or tv. He also refuses ro talk but is perfectly able i no this because he slips up sometimes and talk just fine. He is mean to the pets and 95 % of the time he thinks he punishments are funny! Please help
You've got to get him some real exercise, til he is really tired, and more sleep.
I agree..more physical activity and more sleep. cut out sugar..and I mean all unnecessary sugar. no more juice, make sure snacks aren't just fruit or sugary snacks...

and the biggest thing to remember is...2 is a really tough age. they're old enough to want to be independent and explore the world, but communication skills are still poor, no matter how well he might speak. so try to take a breath and put yourself in his shoes and figure out WHY he's getting so upset...if you can solve the problem and help him calm down, it's much better than just punishing him. it's good to begin introducing discipline at this age, i absolutely think it's vital. but it also doesn't mean much to him yet...so don't get set on the idea that discipline isn't working. it won't, at 2...it won't work for awhile. just keep at it...calm things down, don't escalate quickly (toddlers will get louder and more upset if you react loudly to their tantrums which are normal and necessary)..and just hang in there.

2-4 can be a rough ride but they emerge from the other side as pretty cool little humans with a lot of surprising gifts to share :).
Agree with 100% of what is said above.  I have a very strong willed 3 year old and I understand, trust me.

Excercise is huge. My son is a completely different child on the rare day he doesn't get fresh air exercise. We are out twice a day, rain or shine (and I live in a very cold Canadian climate...we just bundle up).

Discipline is also important.  I use the Love and Logic guide...I encourage you to read it.  As soon as my son acts up, my reaction is "Oh, that is so sad. I was having so much fun playing with you.  Now you need some quiet time in your room".  And off to his room, door closed he goes. No warning, and no opportunity to argue.  First couple of times he flipped out, and I mean lost his mind mad.  Now, as soon as I do that, on the way to his room he says "I want to say sorry".  It works that well.  The key is no warning, no chances, just pick him up and off to his room.  No yelling, no hitting, no getting upset on your part.  Calm and cool, and do it with empathy, hence the "that is so sad, I was having so much fun playing with you" and off he goes.

Do read the book, it really changed how I handle things, and for the better.  It works.

Best of luck.