Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
2 year old vomiting at night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Viewing 201-228 comments:
oh i almost forgot not only has he benn throwing up but his diarrhea has been getting watery And watery each n everyday
Just wanted to share my experience with this...

My two year old started vomiting each night (10-20 minutes after falling off to sleep) and was perfectly normal during the day. After numerous visits to the paed, numerous tests and various medications - nothing could be found. This went on for about 7-8weeks...an absolutely normal child during the day, then one or two vomiting sessions as soon as she sleeps (this even started happening during her daytime naps).

Then, after about 7-8 weeks, it started slowing down (now she wouldn't vomit during EVERY nap and maybe only every 2nd or 3rd day). Then a week or two later it stopped completely and she could just go to sleep in peace again (it reached a point where she did not want to sleep cos she knew that the vomiting would start when she fell off).

It was extremely scary as a parent to watch her going through this all that time and not be able to do anything about it.

Also note : For a while we thought that nuts could have triggered it as she had just started eating nuts a short while before this started...then we obviously stopped the nuts totally after a few weeks of this happening. However, we started giving her nuts again a few weeks after her vomiting stopped and the vomiting never start again...so we ruled that out....but a friend told me that it still could have been the nuts. Introducing it too early to a child sometimes causes swelling in the airway and this makes it hard for the child to breathe when they sleep.

I still don't know if that was the cause or not...just grateful that it has stopped!
http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes/disorders/cyclic_vomiting_syndrome_cvs_1.html

I've read through many of these posts and thought this article might be of interest to those dealing with this issue.  
please dont give your kids pop to fix this. the sugar is bad and carbonation is bad too, robbing your blood of oxygen. Most all of the post have the winter in common, meaning heaters are running like my daughters is as well. she is up puking. i think parasites have a lot to do with he vomiting.
My daughter is almost 3 years old, and I'm so tired of her throwing up almost every night she coughs and then she starts throwing up, I mean I don't even sleep bc she has a lot of problems breathing, the dr. Gave her some asthma and even a mask for her to breath thru but nothing works! I need help I even took her to the ER and nothing seems to help!!!!!
my 18 month old son has been having the same problem but he also just got over RSV. so i thought it might be that so i took him to the doctor and they said it was the stomach flu but he has been vomiting for the past month or so but only at night im just soo worried... he is on the breathing treatments and all idk what to do...
My 5 year old daughter was just released from the hospital on December 8th after a similar illness.  She started throwing up on November 29th, but only from late afternoon until bedtime.  She would throw up so much that she would be exhausted and crash hard.  She would sleep all night, then wake up and be her normal self. She went to school and was fine. She would come home fine, and then as if someone flicked a switch, she would be very sick again.  Never accompanied by fever, cough, loss of appetite, or any other flu-like symptoms, just vomiting. She was taken to the ER on December 5th.  They tried gravol and advil and nothing worked. They tried an anti-nausea medication used for chemo patients and post surgery patients, for the most part it worked. She didn't vomit everyday, but she is still getting sick about every other afternoon. We were told that it might possibly be CVS, similar to migraines, but affecting the stomach instead. So either CVS or a very bad virus? I am getting worried, anyone have any answers?
My son 3 years has been throwing up for almost 2 weeks , he had a flu before and after that start throwing up just night time and normal in the morning !! I live in Michigan and please if any body found the solution please post here
My daughter did that and it was strep
Zoro,

My daughter is 3 and had the flu or some virus then had started throwing up only at night. I gave her benadryl per the doctor. 1 teaspoon at bedtime and she stopped. I did that for a few days and she then slept without it fine. This was a month ago. She has had a little bit of a runny nose the past few days and the lining of her nose is swollen. The doctor said it is a post nasal drip that is causing it because she threw up again yesterday. I am going to try the humidifier in her room because I read it helps break up the mucus and then I will take her back off the benadryl. I also noticed it seems to help to keep her from getting too hot. The benadryl is a short term fix but I know it is from the heat. Hope it passes soon and hope this helps someone.
This is no solution, but it may help mitigate some of the less extreme cases.

http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts/B_EXTRANET_HEALTH_INFORMATION-FlexMember-Show_Public_HFFY_1105110080980.html

good luck.  I'm going through this right now.  Worried as can be, but hopeful.
DIABETES
Thanks to all who post there stories. My two year old son has just chucked up again for the 5th time tonight..this has never happened...will be taking him to the docs tomorrow.not a great time as his birthday is in two days :(
my 3 year old has been throwing up randomly for 3 weeks now everyday but mostly at night...i am very worried i have made an appt but they keep telling me it is the flu.
thank you for posting. seems like you are one of the few who could get to the bottom of the problem. i do think it's gastroenterology's thing. my son has been vomiting for the last week and a half and i do not know where to turn, except pediatrics who tells me the same, very annoying: "just a virus, wait it over....."
OMG - girl, u just descibed EXACTLY what i'm goin thru with my 2 and a half yr old daughter, except it just started a week or so ago.... Now, i know this tread is a few yrs old, but i came across it trying to figure out WTH is going on with my babygirl - no mom wants to see their child violently vomiting , especially when there is no explination! and like many of the other parent's comments, she ha NO  other symptoms. all i can figure is it could b sinus related? - only because she's had a runny nose & cough since winter started! its just so strange - she's totally normal, and bam- outa nowhere she crys and says her tummy hurts and she puking everywhere b4 she even gets all the words out - i mean, throwing up so much that she dry heaves at the end for awhile, and then shes perfectly fine within mintues! and its mostly mucus too - hardly anything that resembles food (sorry, ew - i know...) Her dr hasnt been much help either... im curious to know of your outcome with your child - did u (or anyone else that reads this!) ever get a solid answer from your dr?  please give me a happy ending here...?
Update: I felt that i should let know what helped my son to stop vomiting. He did exactly that all of us describe here-throws up only at night, couple hours after he goes to sleep, throws up all undigested food. And at all other times he is fine, except that his nose was very stuffed.  So he was vomiting every night for seven straight nights, he also had diarrhea sometimes, he was complaining that his stomach hurt. It was so hard to go through this, especially when we didn't know why. Dr just told us Pedilyte, BRAT diet, and liquids..... I read every single post in this thread and noted that some of the parents were leading that problem to sinus..... So i decided i will start from here and bought Benadryl Sinus and Allergy for children. I was giving My 3,5 y.o. son 5ml right before i put him to bed.... IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just Tuesday night he was throwing up and had diarrhea  and didn't sleep till 5 a.m. because his belly hurted again, and Wednesday at 8 p.m. I tried to give Benadryl and was waiting to see if he is going to wake up by 10 p.m. throwing up again, before i even could run to his room or not...And he didn't!!!!!! So i was giving him Benadryl every night before bed for 7 days and stopped.... I was scared that he might start vomit again and he didn't. Thanks to all who wrote about it because i tried and it helped us! Now he started coughing though a lot. Now i went and bought coughing syrup, because I am so afraid that coughing so hard he will throw up again.
I hope all of you not sleeping worrying parents will find some solution for your kids.
This thread is crazy I can't believe it has been going back and forth for so long with really no answers. My son is 3 years old and a happy healthy young man. 2 1/2 weeks ago he started waking up in the middle of the night, vomitting, diarreah (diarrhea) and then going back to sleep usually waking up in the morning with more diarreah (diarrhea) then completely fine ALL DAY. We admitted him to the hospital on Monday of this week (it is now Wednesday). All of his blood tests came back normal, his bacterial checks in his stool came back normal (ruling out samenella or ecoli). He had an x-ray and a catscan which also came back normal. They did give him some Zantac (acid reflux meds) last night and he didn't vomit. HOWEVER I am not sure if that is what kept him from vomitting because throught these 2 1/2 weeks there was a few nights where he didnt vomit and I thought he was better until it started again. I am typing this FROM our hospital room and we are STILL waiting on stool sample results. They think it could be rotovirus however if it was this virus why is he showing no fever? Why is he ONLY vomitting in the middle of the night? None of it makes sense to me and I have never heard anything like this. His stool smells like death and I have never smelled any stool like it before in my life. We are really hoping to get some answers soon. I will update if we get any information but after reading this post I am scared this will never go away.
Adding to my watch list.
WOW....can't believe so many parents are going through the same thing! My almost 3 year old(next month) has been vomiting only at night for the past 4 weeks. She stopped for about a week and just started again last night. She also complains of a stomach ache and has loose stools. I don't get it. I'm so afraid that she will choke on her vomit since she does it without even waking up now. I took her to the dr a few weeks ago, they did a CT scan, urinalysis and strep throat test....all negative. I don't know what to do anymore. It doesn't seem normal at all. She is completely fine during the day...well for the most part. She does seem a little run down now and her appetite has now decreased, i think she is tired from being up vomiting and she's losing nutrients so she's weak. i just don't know what to do anymore....is it even worth taking her to the dr again??? Anyone ever get any results back besides post nasal drip?
My son is 3.5.  He has been vomiting at night for the last 7 months.  It started out that he would vomit several times an hour for a few hours, at intervals of 2 weeks apart.  This happened 6-7 times.  Then it spaced out to vomiting once at night, only every 4-6 weeks.  The pediatrician suggested probiotics, which he has been on for several months.  Maybe that's why it has decreased??  

We finally got a referral to a GI.  He goes next week.  

He has many food allergies, but we are careful with his diet, and I know he isn't being exposed to any of his known allergens.  He has started preschool this year.  Perhaps there is an environmental allergen in the building.  Not sure.  

He had chronic diarrhea from the age of 1-3.  The doctors never found a real answer, but it did eventually stop.  And at 2.5, he did have a week where his abdomen got hard and distended every night, and then he would vomit.  But that only lasted for a week.  We did see a GI then, but it had stopped by that point, so he cleared him with no testing.  
I would also like to add that when my son vomits, it isn't caused by coughing.  He wakes up from a deep sleep, he screams for a minute, then vomits.  We clean him up, then he falls back asleep and is fine the next day.  It is usually quite a lot of vomit that comes up, but no bile.  
My daughter is almost 2, and she has been throwing up at night for 5 weeks now.  There has only been two days during the past 5 weeks that she has thrown up during the day.  She also often has diarrhea during the night or early morning.  We have had blood tests, urine tests, stool cultures for bacteria, ova and parasite stool cultures, CT scans of her head, and X-Ray of her belly.  Everything has come back negative so far, but we still don't have any answers.  We have been referred to a Pediatric GI doctor, but just found out that it is going to take almost 10 weeks to get it to see him.  I can't wait and allow this to continue for 10 more weeks!!!  She has been completely off of dairy, on probiotics, and zantac for about two weeks, and the problem continues on!  I'm so frustrated that we can't figure this out and help our poor baby get healthy!
This may help.  My son is 2 1/2 and he had severe acid reflux when he was a baby, got through the upper GI and he was placed on two meds  one to help, one to heal the damage made by the reflux.  He now has pretty bad allergies (though not as severe as my daughter) and he is also teething.  Yes, teething at 2 1/2.  Teething can bring on acid reflux because of the constant swallowing which can then irritate the acid and then cause vomiting which then irritates it even more.  Put this along with allergies and you will have a throwing up, coughing kid.  Currently my son is on Clariten in the am and Singular at night.  I HIGHLY recommend the dual doses per day (my pediatrician is awesome).  The dripping has to stop so that they don't throw up.  My daughter who has severe allergies would get other illnesses because she always seemed to have a nasty cold she couldn't shake (it was allergies).  She hasn't been sick in 6 months (big difference) and is on Publix's liquid allergy meds (same ingredient as Zyrtec, but cheaper).  She is also on a nasal spray, daily inhaler and eyedrops (certain times of year).  
I have read through this post several times over the last few months.  My nearly 3 year old has had bought after bought of vomiting without fever etc and generally during the day seems totally normal.  Finally today the doctor sent us for a chest X-ray and the diagnosis was a relief.  Full bowels with no air between.  Generally when they look at the bowels there is pockets of air between the fecal matter but, for him there wasn't any which means he is really constipated.  I was surprised because he had gone poop twice yesterday and wouldn't have guessed that was the issue.  When it is full there is nowhere for the food to go so it sits mostly undigested perhaps not even within the stomach and eventually comes back up.  Makes sense.  Doc prescribed Miralax and we will see how it goes... literally!
Hello I know this is a very old post.. I'm having a problem with my 2yrs old son and I don t know what to do!!! I need help advice!!! He is throwing up at early morning. Throws up food. Should I stop giving him milk at nIghts?? Please help me!! He has been doing this for a week now. I'm so scared.
Any news about your son condition?
Is everything fine? My son also have the same syntoms. :(

Al the best
My 18 month old is doing the same thing, going on day 8 of vomiting once every night! He is a happy baby during the day! has a good appetite. I am so exhausted i don't8. know what to do! his DR. keeps saying its viral, I think it's time to get very temperamental and demand they do other tests! this cant be good on him!
If it is viral, it's not uncommon for the vomiting to last this long.  I know it's scary, but this happens a lot.  The key is keeping him very hydrated using products like pedialight.  You can also always ask for a second opinion if you believe there is more to it than a virus.  My son had a virus around a year old that literally lasted months.  His weight dropped and it was so scary.  However, he is now almost 3 and just fine.  It did eventually run it's course.  Hang in there!
Hi my daughter is 3 and 4 months and has been vomiting  every single night, she starts coughing and that leads to vomit.  When she's done, she is very upset and crying.  99% of the case she calls us telling us she will vomit, unless she is in deep sleep.  Our paediatrician keeps telling me its a virus, but it's been going on for way too long, basically since she was a baby when started solid foods.
Well, virus' can actually last that long.  My son caught something called rotavirus when he was about a year old, and it lasted on and off for 9 months.  So it is possible that it is a virus, and her immune system being so immature, she isn't fighting it off quickly.

I also would be asking about the coughing as a trigger.  I am actually babysitting a neighbors child tonight, and he was very upset from the moment mommy left.  I just couldn't settle him or distract him.  He was crying quite hard, started coughing and threw up.  I called his mother, and she said when he gets upset or coughs, he will throw up.  I hadn't had this experience before, but I guess some small children do this.

If this were me, I would ask for the Pediatrician to take a stool sample for testing.  That is what I did as I was so worried about the lengthy virus my son had.  In our case it confirmed rotavirus, and although nothing could be done except let it run it's course, it was reassuring to me to have a solid answer.  It's a non evasive test that can confirm or rule out a virus.  I think after 3 months, you are right in wanting further investigation.  I think sometimes Dr.'s need to be reminded that as mothers, we are not going to be patted on the head and sent away.  If you are not comfortable with the current diagnosis, request further investigation or seek a second opinion.  I hope she feels better soon!
Hiya,
My daughter use to vomit all the time. it was sleep apnea caused by massive tonsils. we had everything checked as they thought it was her stomach. She use to wake up, cry in the night and be sick. If she cried when she fell she would be sick. i think it was the gasp of air as she started to cry made her tonsils hit the back of her throat and set off her gag reflex.
If anyone has un explained vomiting you must go and get there tonsils looked at. They do a sleep study to see if they are stopping breathing while asleep. If they are that is what causes them to wake up with a start and be sick. It isnt dangerous and they wont stop breathing and die but if it continues it can cause damage. once my daughters tonsils were removed it was like having a new girl. never been sick since and its now been a year. she was sometimes sick 3 times a day/night and we use to think it was her milk. i hope that is of some help to people. im rubbish at explaining things. x
In case anyone looks at this lately- it might be a form of hypoglycemia. I have a skinny three year old who would vomit in the middle of the night and then would be fine. I was told that ketotic hypoglycemia is common in kids up to five and is often misdiagnosed. You replenish your energy at night and without sufficient food intake, vomiting can occur. Young kids haven't developed the night fasting ability and need a healthy snack before bed, making sure they don't go more than 10 hours without food.
This worked for our little girl- and saves us spending time and money on unnecessary tests.
Mommies: Nothing is worse than this helpless feeling  my 3 yr old has been vomiting off and on for two weeks thought flu bug but i know its not. She eats good and plays fine. She projectile vomits out of the blue all tests came back good. No fever no diarrhea. She was on zantac as a baby bc she did this for reflux  but giving her first dose of it tonite after she was fine all night after vomiting at her sitters today she threw up all over and all her food!!! There is something called cyclic vomiting syndrome check it out online bc im having my doc do research tomoro on it   sounds just like my lil babydoll:( ♥ best of luck to us all!  
Hello, just curious if you found a reason for this - my daughter is doing the exact same thing!
hi, wondering if you found anything out about this? my daughter is doing the same thing.  thank you!
This is completely killing me, the same is happening to my son, he started off with a stomach bug, which we both had, but i was fine after 24 hours, now he seems to be throwing up just the once but nightly, he went 48 hours without being sick but its started again, he did have a viral throat infection and is being sick after coughing, called the emergency out of hours tonight and they believe its him trying to attention seek and get into our bed?! hes 2 years and 8 months old. Its so draining and devastating to see, completely fine during the day and then sick as a dog during the night. Im scared to fall asleep in case he wakes up crying, its just slowly sucking the life out of me. They made me feel like i was half lying about his symptoms when i called tonight, im so relived to find im not the only one who is going through this. I just want my baby boy back, because i know its scaring him and he isnt getting a full nights sleep.
x
hopefully we get some answers soon! we are going on 2 weeks of this and it continues.  2 times we went 48 hours w/o her throwing up but she did have some diahrea those days.  i'm scared, exhausted, etc.!
hello ~ just want to folllow up here as when i was researching this it seemed severals had encountered this but no one came back to post resolutions.  after 15 nights my daughter seems to have "outgrown" this.  we've had 2 good nights.  we are having her sleep on a wedge pillow but her diahrhea has disappeared so i feel like she is back to good.  guess it was just a very strange stomach bug....
My 2 yr old grand son has been throwing up at night; right after drifting off to sleep for the last couple of months. He does occasionally do this during the evenings also; but rarely. I think it happens at night because his esophagus/flap is relaxed and he has acid reflux. He is going to the doctor next week. He was very colicky as an infant and was, in fact, prescribed Previcid/Zantac. I believe he needs it now!

I was having BAD reflux a year ago about every night. The kind that makes you think you are going to throw up in the bed. Well, I started drinking lactose-free milk and have not had ONE episode since! Simple!
Here is your answer, why your kid vomit.

Watch what you feed your kids at dinner. Food that contains
MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE(MSG) will make your little kid
sick and throw up every night until he develope resistance to
them or else you will see him throw up everytime he eats food
that have MSG in them. Going to see a doctor won't do any good
if its cause by MSG, most doctor can't test for MSG side effects.
Unless you have a saint doctor, but I doubt it.

If you don't want to see your kid suffer vomiting,
dont feed him MSG'ed food. It will make your life
and his much easier.
My 5 year old has been experiencing the same thing! She started throwing up  and having diarreah (diarrhea) 9 days ago. She has NO other symptoms. She only throws up in the middle of the night and always around the same time(between 2-4am).  During the day she is active and energetic and has no complaints.... She eats fine all day long...The vomitting is aggressive but intermittent. She throws up two days in a row and then won't throw up the next night.  At first I thought it was a stomach bug, but it doesn't seem like a bug should last this long and manifiest in this way....Thinking it might be a post nasal drip ....I have no idea but I am really worried. We are seeing her pediatrican tonight. I will post an update. Good luck to everyone.
M 5  year old is going through the same thing.  Did your Ped have any suggestions?  It is frustrating to me that I can't get her in to the doc until Friday at the earliest unless I take her to the ER.  
Day 20 of night vomiting and day diarrhea. One trip to the ER, one trip (and countless phone calls) with my pediatrician and tomorrow we are going for a second visit to the pediatric gastroenterologist. Everyone (all of the drs) say "viral" or "acid reflux". All I know is that my 2 yr, 10 month old son is withering away to just skin and bones. As soon as I feel as though we have this beat (a night or two without vomiting or diarrhea)...it then seems to hit him even harder the next time. I am BEYOND frustrated. I am a single mom and I haven't been able to work for 2 weeks. I cannot lose my job because these drs can't properly diagnose and treat my son. He is not a "wait and see" experiment. He is my baby, my precious baby boy and I want answers now!

Allergies?
Flu mist (administered 3 weeks earlier)?
Something worse?

I just don't know! Any follow up from the prior posters would be amazing! Does it just go away? Please help!!!!!
Hi ,I am just wondering if you were ever able to resolve or identify the cause of this symptoms my little guy is going thorough the same thing and has had almost every test done and they all come back negative- CT scan, xray, blood work.  Dr are stumped any info would be appreciated.
MJR
MJR
My daughter , age 4, started having these issues about a 3 months ago.  We went through all the normal questions, medications, thoughts.  
She would only throw up at night, she doesn't take naps.  It seemed to me it would start happening about the time she started to doze off.  It took a couple of months and a few different doctors...it was decided that she has some kind of mild allergy but nothing showed up on the allergy test.  The doctor said the test checks for a LOT of the common allergies and she may be allergic to an uncommon one.  So when she lays down, her sinus drains and that causes her to throw up.  
They gave her an allergy medication and she has gone 2 weeks now without throwing up at night.  Thank goodness.  I hope this trend continues and I hope this helps someone else.
Viewing 201-228 comments: