2 year old vomiting at night
My daughter is two years old and this past Sunday she woke up vomiting. At the time we thought that most likely she had gotten into some bad food because her Father had picked her up a chicken tenders kids meal late that night when the place was about to close. Well she fell back to sleep that morning and when she woke back up she was fine. She was playing and running and laughing all day. She even rode a carousel! Well that night (Sunday)while she was sleeping she threw up again. She also threw up when she woke up that morning. When I say she's throwing up I'm not just talking about a small amount like spit up she is throwing up a lot. Well after she threw up that first time monday morning she was fine again all day and just as happy as could be. Again on monday night and Tuesday morning she threw up again.
I have been nursing my daughter every since she was born and I'm wondering if there is any way possible that somehow my milk is making her sick. She nurses a little during the day still but mostly at night because she sleeps in the same bed with me. She uses it to go back to sleep when she wakes up and to fall asleep in the first place. I don't think that it is the chicken anymore because it seems like that would keep her sick all day and not just at night. Thanks for any help you can give.
My daughter is almost 2, and she has been throwing up at night for 5 weeks now.  There has only been two days during the past 5 weeks that she has thrown up during the day.  She also often has diarrhea during the night or early morning.  We have had blood tests, urine tests, stool cultures for bacteria, ova and parasite stool cultures, CT scans of her head, and X-Ray of her belly.  Everything has come back negative so far, but we still don't have any answers.  We have been referred to a Pediatric GI doctor, but just found out that it is going to take almost 10 weeks to get it to see him.  I can't wait and allow this to continue for 10 more weeks!!!  She has been completely off of dairy, on probiotics, and zantac for about two weeks, and the problem continues on!  I'm so frustrated that we can't figure this out and help our poor baby get healthy!
This may help.  My son is 2 1/2 and he had severe acid reflux when he was a baby, got through the upper GI and he was placed on two meds  one to help, one to heal the damage made by the reflux.  He now has pretty bad allergies (though not as severe as my daughter) and he is also teething.  Yes, teething at 2 1/2.  Teething can bring on acid reflux because of the constant swallowing which can then irritate the acid and then cause vomiting which then irritates it even more.  Put this along with allergies and you will have a throwing up, coughing kid.  Currently my son is on Clariten in the am and Singular at night.  I HIGHLY recommend the dual doses per day (my pediatrician is awesome).  The dripping has to stop so that they don't throw up.  My daughter who has severe allergies would get other illnesses because she always seemed to have a nasty cold she couldn't shake (it was allergies).  She hasn't been sick in 6 months (big difference) and is on Publix's liquid allergy meds (same ingredient as Zyrtec, but cheaper).  She is also on a nasal spray, daily inhaler and eyedrops (certain times of year).  
I have read through this post several times over the last few months.  My nearly 3 year old has had bought after bought of vomiting without fever etc and generally during the day seems totally normal.  Finally today the doctor sent us for a chest X-ray and the diagnosis was a relief.  Full bowels with no air between.  Generally when they look at the bowels there is pockets of air between the fecal matter but, for him there wasn't any which means he is really constipated.  I was surprised because he had gone poop twice yesterday and wouldn't have guessed that was the issue.  When it is full there is nowhere for the food to go so it sits mostly undigested perhaps not even within the stomach and eventually comes back up.  Makes sense.  Doc prescribed Miralax and we will see how it goes... literally!
Hello I know this is a very old post.. I'm having a problem with my 2yrs old son and I don t know what to do!!! I need help advice!!! He is throwing up at early morning. Throws up food. Should I stop giving him milk at nIghts?? Please help me!! He has been doing this for a week now. I'm so scared.
Any news about your son condition?
Is everything fine? My son also have the same syntoms. :(

Al the best
My 18 month old is doing the same thing, going on day 8 of vomiting once every night! He is a happy baby during the day! has a good appetite. I am so exhausted i don't8. know what to do! his DR. keeps saying its viral, I think it's time to get very temperamental and demand they do other tests! this cant be good on him!
If it is viral, it's not uncommon for the vomiting to last this long.  I know it's scary, but this happens a lot.  The key is keeping him very hydrated using products like pedialight.  You can also always ask for a second opinion if you believe there is more to it than a virus.  My son had a virus around a year old that literally lasted months.  His weight dropped and it was so scary.  However, he is now almost 3 and just fine.  It did eventually run it's course.  Hang in there!
Hi my daughter is 3 and 4 months and has been vomiting  every single night, she starts coughing and that leads to vomit.  When she's done, she is very upset and crying.  99% of the case she calls us telling us she will vomit, unless she is in deep sleep.  Our paediatrician keeps telling me its a virus, but it's been going on for way too long, basically since she was a baby when started solid foods.
Well, virus' can actually last that long.  My son caught something called rotavirus when he was about a year old, and it lasted on and off for 9 months.  So it is possible that it is a virus, and her immune system being so immature, she isn't fighting it off quickly.

I also would be asking about the coughing as a trigger.  I am actually babysitting a neighbors child tonight, and he was very upset from the moment mommy left.  I just couldn't settle him or distract him.  He was crying quite hard, started coughing and threw up.  I called his mother, and she said when he gets upset or coughs, he will throw up.  I hadn't had this experience before, but I guess some small children do this.

If this were me, I would ask for the Pediatrician to take a stool sample for testing.  That is what I did as I was so worried about the lengthy virus my son had.  In our case it confirmed rotavirus, and although nothing could be done except let it run it's course, it was reassuring to me to have a solid answer.  It's a non evasive test that can confirm or rule out a virus.  I think after 3 months, you are right in wanting further investigation.  I think sometimes Dr.'s need to be reminded that as mothers, we are not going to be patted on the head and sent away.  If you are not comfortable with the current diagnosis, request further investigation or seek a second opinion.  I hope she feels better soon!
Hiya,
My daughter use to vomit all the time. it was sleep apnea caused by massive tonsils. we had everything checked as they thought it was her stomach. She use to wake up, cry in the night and be sick. If she cried when she fell she would be sick. i think it was the gasp of air as she started to cry made her tonsils hit the back of her throat and set off her gag reflex.
If anyone has un explained vomiting you must go and get there tonsils looked at. They do a sleep study to see if they are stopping breathing while asleep. If they are that is what causes them to wake up with a start and be sick. It isnt dangerous and they wont stop breathing and die but if it continues it can cause damage. once my daughters tonsils were removed it was like having a new girl. never been sick since and its now been a year. she was sometimes sick 3 times a day/night and we use to think it was her milk. i hope that is of some help to people. im rubbish at explaining things. x
In case anyone looks at this lately- it might be a form of hypoglycemia. I have a skinny three year old who would vomit in the middle of the night and then would be fine. I was told that ketotic hypoglycemia is common in kids up to five and is often misdiagnosed. You replenish your energy at night and without sufficient food intake, vomiting can occur. Young kids haven't developed the night fasting ability and need a healthy snack before bed, making sure they don't go more than 10 hours without food.
This worked for our little girl- and saves us spending time and money on unnecessary tests.
Mommies: Nothing is worse than this helpless feeling  my 3 yr old has been vomiting off and on for two weeks thought flu bug but i know its not. She eats good and plays fine. She projectile vomits out of the blue all tests came back good. No fever no diarrhea. She was on zantac as a baby bc she did this for reflux  but giving her first dose of it tonite after she was fine all night after vomiting at her sitters today she threw up all over and all her food!!! There is something called cyclic vomiting syndrome check it out online bc im having my doc do research tomoro on it   sounds just like my lil babydoll:( ♥ best of luck to us all!  
Hello, just curious if you found a reason for this - my daughter is doing the exact same thing!
hi, wondering if you found anything out about this? my daughter is doing the same thing.  thank you!
This is completely killing me, the same is happening to my son, he started off with a stomach bug, which we both had, but i was fine after 24 hours, now he seems to be throwing up just the once but nightly, he went 48 hours without being sick but its started again, he did have a viral throat infection and is being sick after coughing, called the emergency out of hours tonight and they believe its him trying to attention seek and get into our bed?! hes 2 years and 8 months old. Its so draining and devastating to see, completely fine during the day and then sick as a dog during the night. Im scared to fall asleep in case he wakes up crying, its just slowly sucking the life out of me. They made me feel like i was half lying about his symptoms when i called tonight, im so relived to find im not the only one who is going through this. I just want my baby boy back, because i know its scaring him and he isnt getting a full nights sleep.
x
hopefully we get some answers soon! we are going on 2 weeks of this and it continues.  2 times we went 48 hours w/o her throwing up but she did have some diahrea those days.  i'm scared, exhausted, etc.!
hello ~ just want to folllow up here as when i was researching this it seemed severals had encountered this but no one came back to post resolutions.  after 15 nights my daughter seems to have "outgrown" this.  we've had 2 good nights.  we are having her sleep on a wedge pillow but her diahrhea has disappeared so i feel like she is back to good.  guess it was just a very strange stomach bug....
My 2 yr old grand son has been throwing up at night; right after drifting off to sleep for the last couple of months. He does occasionally do this during the evenings also; but rarely. I think it happens at night because his esophagus/flap is relaxed and he has acid reflux. He is going to the doctor next week. He was very colicky as an infant and was, in fact, prescribed Previcid/Zantac. I believe he needs it now!

I was having BAD reflux a year ago about every night. The kind that makes you think you are going to throw up in the bed. Well, I started drinking lactose-free milk and have not had ONE episode since! Simple!
Here is your answer, why your kid vomit.

Watch what you feed your kids at dinner. Food that contains
MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE(MSG) will make your little kid
sick and throw up every night until he develope resistance to
them or else you will see him throw up everytime he eats food
that have MSG in them. Going to see a doctor won't do any good
if its cause by MSG, most doctor can't test for MSG side effects.
Unless you have a saint doctor, but I doubt it.

If you don't want to see your kid suffer vomiting,
dont feed him MSG'ed food. It will make your life
and his much easier.
My 5 year old has been experiencing the same thing! She started throwing up  and having diarreah 9 days ago. She has NO other symptoms. She only throws up in the middle of the night and always around the same time(between 2-4am).  During the day she is active and energetic and has no complaints.... She eats fine all day long...The vomitting is aggressive but intermittent. She throws up two days in a row and then won't throw up the next night.  At first I thought it was a stomach bug, but it doesn't seem like a bug should last this long and manifiest in this way....Thinking it might be a post nasal drip ....I have no idea but I am really worried. We are seeing her pediatrican tonight. I will post an update. Good luck to everyone.
M 5  year old is going through the same thing.  Did your Ped have any suggestions?  It is frustrating to me that I can't get her in to the doc until Friday at the earliest unless I take her to the ER.  
Day 20 of night vomiting and day diarrhea. One trip to the ER, one trip (and countless phone calls) with my pediatrician and tomorrow we are going for a second visit to the pediatric gastroenterologist. Everyone (all of the drs) say "viral" or "acid reflux". All I know is that my 2 yr, 10 month old son is withering away to just skin and bones. As soon as I feel as though we have this beat (a night or two without vomiting or diarrhea)...it then seems to hit him even harder the next time. I am BEYOND frustrated. I am a single mom and I haven't been able to work for 2 weeks. I cannot lose my job because these drs can't properly diagnose and treat my son. He is not a "wait and see" experiment. He is my baby, my precious baby boy and I want answers now!

Allergies?
Flu mist (administered 3 weeks earlier)?
Something worse?

I just don't know! Any follow up from the prior posters would be amazing! Does it just go away? Please help!!!!!
Hi ,I am just wondering if you were ever able to resolve or identify the cause of this symptoms my little guy is going thorough the same thing and has had almost every test done and they all come back negative- CT scan, xray, blood work.  Dr are stumped any info would be appreciated.
MJR
MJR
My daughter , age 4, started having these issues about a 3 months ago.  We went through all the normal questions, medications, thoughts.  
She would only throw up at night, she doesn't take naps.  It seemed to me it would start happening about the time she started to doze off.  It took a couple of months and a few different doctors...it was decided that she has some kind of mild allergy but nothing showed up on the allergy test.  The doctor said the test checks for a LOT of the common allergies and she may be allergic to an uncommon one.  So when she lays down, her sinus drains and that causes her to throw up.  
They gave her an allergy medication and she has gone 2 weeks now without throwing up at night.  Thank goodness.  I hope this trend continues and I hope this helps someone else.
2 year old throwing up at night and some mornings plays a lot but still throwing up dr keeps saying it the flue no fever has cough and running nose but just puks up not from coughing eather please any coments to help us get threw this thanks
How did this stop?
my son is 2 yrs old is still on bottle eats little solids but has 3 eggs with milk microwaved eats over the day. he has been trowing up for over 12months now when he cant get his own way and starts crying . and at night sometimes no fever, healthy otherwise he does have a cough now though we have been to the doctor we are going again on saturday only day child doctor is here . we live in thailand so investigative medicine seems to be non event have looked at simular problems and will talk to doctor but most know everything but know nothing hope someone can help with advice thanks
on what basis do consider my post spam it is a genuine post as i live in thailand
Mine does this as well. He's almost three but if he gets upset he will throw up. But most people that cry and scream  will do the same.  At night is my issue, he'll start a very slight cough then vomits everything back up. And I mean everything, then drinks a cup of milk and he's fine until the next bedtime. No fever, no pain, hasn't slowed him down any. His weight hasn't changed but it's difficult to tell since he's growing taller. Keep us posted about what you find out.
My daughter was just diagnosed with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. Google it!!!
Google symptoms of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome!
CYCLIC VOMITING SYNDROME!!! GOOGLE IT!
EVERYONE EVERYONE. Please google Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome.... My daughter was just diagnosed with this and it goes undetected in my children because it mimics flu symptoms. My daughter was having cycles of waking up in the early morning hours and just randomly throwing up. She would do this for 5 days in a row. Have diarrhea for a week then go back to normal. then 3 weeks later it would start up again. She was perfectly fine during the day. All allergy and gluten tests came back normal. Took her to a GI doc and he diagnosed her with this... I had never heard of this but she fits all the symptoms... Hope this helps some of you!!!  
I'm 11 ive had this for about 7 weeks and I started pukeing in the day to. hope this helps and I don't have a fever either.
Hello supermommyme

My son is almost 5 and he is experiencing the exact symptoms you mentioned with the diarreah and vommiting, but then being fine all day.  I was wondering what you found out and how things are going for you now.  I know your post was from a long time ago, but never saw your update.

Thanks,

Luke
Hello

My son is almost 5 and he is experiencing the exact symptoms you mentioned with the diarreah and vommiting, but being fine all day. I know your post was from a long time ago but I was wondering if you had any updates youy could share.

Thanks,

Luke
Oh my gosh, my 2 yr old daughter has been going through a similar situation described by many parents here: happy during the day, vomits at night but no fever and goes back to sleep just fine. I found this article and I think this will help most parents
http://drbenkim.com/often-overlooked-cause-vomiting.htm

I really hope it helps! I have yet to try it, but I think it will help.
My 3year old son us going through the same. He even has the runny stomach, he refuses the food and sometimes he has a big belly, before even feeding him.
My son has been vomiting in the middle of the night too. I'm pretty freaked out since he often sleeps on his back. He doesn't wake up before, during, or after. It has been going on for about a week now, although there were three nights with no vomiting. This morning he seemed fatigued and a bit pale. After breakfast he was back to his normal self. He still has a decent appetite, although the past 2 days have been a bit less than normal. I plan on taking him to see his Dr. in the morning. I'll share what I learn if we get any answers. I appreciate all the comments, although scary, I'm glad most of the diagnosis were acid reflux or sinus issues.
Might be low sugar! Check into that
Did you figure anything out with this?  Both of my children are going through must of what is being described here.  I'd like to hear someone was able to get a little help.
My little brother is nearly two years old and has been vomiting every night for five months now. Our Dr. we go to has done little to help up figure out the problem. I've been reading through the comments and am not sure what to do.
He will start coughing in his sleep, or awake during the day at times, and vomit. Other than than he'll be fine the entire day. He has regular bowel movements and eats just fine, but when he starts to coughing too hard he'll puke.
our Dr. thought it might be drainage from his sinus, but I don't think it would last 5 MONTHS. My poor folks are exhausted and at their wits end. HELP.
I have 3 boys, twin 3yr olds & a 4 year old.  have been dealing with vomitting, diarreah, fevers and intense pain with my twins since they were about 3months. Here is
Our Story~
Another night of fever's BUT ️Dex & Finn's "puke monster" finally has a Name . CVS (Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome). As I lay next to them , both with fevers because I KNOW that what comes I Just wanted to share:
Another night of fever's BUT ️Dex & Finn's "puke monster" finally has a Name . CVS (Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome". I feel relief because as I lay next to them tonight both with fevers, I KNOW that what comes next is not in my head. I'm not making up their pain, screams or coma like states. One DR. Said that my lack of sleep could be be exaggerating their symptoms. Another said " your not washing their bottles properly"  Everyone came back with the same diagnosis..."it's a virus"
NO IT'S NOT! I never felt heard. I didn't talk much about it to others because I wanted to be a "good" mom. I didn't want to be judged. I didn't want another person to tell me what I was doing wrong. I didn't want another friend to tell me "pull up your big girl panties, this is motherhood". I retreated. Cried alone at night. The ER visits started & Then all the tests...Blood work, upper/lower GI's, colonoscopies, X-Rays and ultra sounds, always coming back clear. Once I walked out of a barium test with Finn and I heard a technician whisper...those poor boys. She's making them sick.
I FELT SICK. I felt guilty, helpless & hopeless all at once. I felt alone & I felt scared. Then finally when I didn't know how much more I could take, how much longer I could see them in pain...someone LISTENED to me. They HEARD me.Dex had the worst episode he's ever had, He vomited over 18 times in just a few hours...he started to seize. I didn't know what to do so I drove him 3 hours to the Children's Hospital. They said they COULDNT do anything except hydrate & stabilize him. That was not good enough! I checked both of them in every morning until the head of GI came to see us...FINALLY someone sat down and HEARD ME! They had  another procedure done & biopsies then Dr. Riley called me & I heard him say "you are not crazy". They have CVS. I was so relieved that someone heard me & that their "puke monster" had a name.Then it hit me this past weekend...There is NO cure! This really may rob them of their childhood.  I want to tell them they can run around, get excited, go to parties, eat whatever-wherever-whenever they want. I CANT! The best I can do is ❤️them. Make nights like tonight as comfortable for them as possible. Sing to them. Rub their little legs & pray that this "episode" will be shorter than the last. CVS is REAL & it HURTS! I want to make it better. I want to make them "normal". I want to take their pain away. What I don't want to do is keep this a secret anymore...CVS has been ruling out lives and I AM ANGRY tonight!!! But as I write this I am finding a little hope in knowing we are not alone anymore.
Wow that's powerful!!dont stop :)
This just really touched me as I am going through the same thing with my little girl. It has been 30 days now and I have been back and forth to hospitals and doctors. It's a virus they tell me. I actually googled CVS on my own last night and it really does sound like this.

I am exhausted and so upset that my baby is going through this. I feel like a terrible mom for not being more aggressive and getting more opinions sooner.

Thank you for your post. I hope your babies are doing better.
I'm really glad I'm not alone with all of this, last  Wednesday after bedtime my 2 1/2 year old son started vomiting I figured it was just a bug and took care of him and didn't think much of it, the next day he was fine I thought we were done with the problem and Thursday night no puke! Friday he was completely normal then nighttime came he fell asleep and woke up vomiting again we were up all night it was miserable for him I took him to the doctor on Saturday just to tell me "it's going around" and again Saturday night everything was good all day today he was completely normal now Sunday night we are back to puking all night and it's not a little puke I'm talking projectile vomiting and then horrible dry heaving all night! He has no symptoms other than bright green  diarrhea and the vomiting that seems to be set to clockwork every other night no fever he's not  lethargic he actually asks to eat and drink, I'm at my wits end with this I hate not knowing how to help my boy it's only been a week and I'm reading stories on here that have been going on for months :/ has anybody found a legitimate answer to this strange problem?
Did this ever get resolved? My son's symptoms are identical.
Katie- whereabouts do you live? My daughter also has this?!
Hi, my son is almost 3 and is experiencing these symptoms for the second time first time was about a year ago I took him to Drs and kept getting told since he wasn't actively sick there wasn't much they could do so told me it could be acid reflux so I gave him a little shot of good ol pepto seems to do the trick after a couple days of a little shot of pepto before bed it stopped and didn't happen again for almost a year. Not a permanent solution but a couldn't hurt to try solution hope it helps you.
Any answers my child is going threw the same thing the dr didnt do much checkin of him just wrote it off as the stomac bug but I know for a fact it is not it has been almost seven days my son is going down hill I have never seen his ribs before I cant sleep the Drs wont or are to incompetent to help any answers would help so I can sound like I have a clue instead of an irate parent I am concerned for his life children can not loose this much weight and not eat he has had the retroviruses and that was way different there is kind of a pattern loosing my mind cant sleep afraid hes gonna choke on his own vomit all these same symptoms and no drs help the parents whats the use of the dr if we go to them and have to ask others whats going on please help me the next dr that writes it off as a bug is gonna get hurt and hurt bad
Has anyone called the fire department to check for carbon monoxide poisoning?  A small amount would affect small children this way but an adult wouldn't feel anything.