2 year old vomiting at night
My daughter is two years old and this past Sunday she woke up vomiting. At the time we thought that most likely she had gotten into some bad food because her Father had picked her up a chicken tenders kids meal late that night when the place was about to close. Well she fell back to sleep that morning and when she woke back up she was fine. She was playing and running and laughing all day. She even rode a carousel! Well that night (Sunday)while she was sleeping she threw up again. She also threw up when she woke up that morning. When I say she's throwing up I'm not just talking about a small amount like spit up she is throwing up a lot. Well after she threw up that first time monday morning she was fine again all day and just as happy as could be. Again on monday night and Tuesday morning she threw up again.
I have been nursing my daughter every since she was born and I'm wondering if there is any way possible that somehow my milk is making her sick. She nurses a little during the day still but mostly at night because she sleeps in the same bed with me. She uses it to go back to sleep when she wakes up and to fall asleep in the first place. I don't think that it is the chicken anymore because it seems like that would keep her sick all day and not just at night. Thanks for any help you can give.
my three year old daughter also has the same problem , it seems to be a repetitive patter. I have been told by two different pediatricians over a period of time that its asthma and allergies. She has never been given any blood work or an allergy test. She has been given the brat diet about one third of her life, and sent home with some liquid claratin every time. I cannot watch her go through another night like this. I fear she is going to drown in the throw up or suffocate when shes cough so hard she can't catch her breath. I appreciate you sharing your story .  
Thanks for responding...in a way it makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone.  I called the dr. yesterday and she said to give her a plain dinner, keep her propped up and call her on Monday if she doesn't get any better.  Well, I did everything she said, but I had been doing it the past few nights anyway, and she threw up again. Same as every night, about an hour and a half into sleep.  She was coughing so hard she couldn't breathe (just like your daughter), but the weird thing is that my eldest daughter who is 27 months, has had a fever the past two days with no other symptoms.  She is acting like her normal self except she's running a steady fever of 102.  I have been giving her motrin, and the fever does go down for a couple of hours, but it just comes right back.  I'm sure you can imagine how difficult the past few nights have been for their father and I.  I usually always know what's wrong with my girls, but this time I am absolutely clueless.
My daughter will be 2 years old next month and she has just started the same symptoms as all of the postings on this page. I am in search for some answers, I am really scared that something very bad is going on with the constant vomitting. It started out with an upper respiratory infection that I found out from the doctor. Now my daughter around 2 every morning will wake up screaming and crying and throwing up everything in her stomach. She will either throw up 2 or 3 times or for more than an hour. Every night it continues to happen and we are exhausted from no sleep having to care for my ill child. There has to be some answeres. I went back to the doctor and questioned what she was diagnosed with and she said it was probably the drainage and as long as she is eating and drinking she will be fine. Well I am sorry but a small child throwing up every night is not ok and now she will barely eat but I have no problems with her taking fluids. When she was a infant she did have reflux problems but grew out of them and nothing like this at all. There is a huge differance between spitting up as an infant and throwing up everything in your stomach. I hope and pray that all of our children with the same symptoms will be ok and someone can help us get our children better. I do not want this to continue for months like some of the postings. HELP!
Did you ever resolve your son's vomiting? I ask because my 8 year old seems to have a very similar problem. He has vomited once a night once a week for about a month now, with no other symptoms. He also had reflux as a baby and doesn't drink milk now, although does eat some cheese and yogurt. I took him to the doctor, but he doesn't think its anything serious. Not sure if this could be a gluten, wheat, dairy allergy, or something like an ulcer? We all are desperate to find a cure. Please let me know if you have found anything to work. Thanks!
My son is almost 7 years old now, but we had this problem when he was younger.  We went through this ordeal every night for months, you could almost set a clock by him. I spent many countless nights in the E.R. and many more in the hospital after he had lost so much weight. Finally his doctors sent him to a G.I. specialist. We had all kinds of test done. What we found out is that it was in fact reflux. When reflux comes up in your throught it will make you cough, and then you gag and throw up. Sometimes they don't cough at all. My suggestion is to have him brought to a specialist but in the meantime elevate the head  of his bed at night and give a bland diet not likely to cause heartburn.
My friends daughter is 1 1/2 years old and she just starting vomiting once per day in the morning and after finished vomiting she can't walk (becomes paralyzed). This morning she couldn't even sit up. She is in the hospital they ran every test imaginable and found nothing. Now she is going to CHOP. Anyone ever hear of this???
My 2 year old son has had vomiting at night for almost 2 weeks. He has lost almost 3 kilos and has had a few bouts of diarrhea. He is not dehydrated. He was tested for celiac's and it came back negative. We had an x-ray of his chest to rule out pneumonia and one of his abdomen to rule out a foreign object that may have been swallowed. We also had urine samples done. All came back negative and clear. I finally rang our naturopath who suggested it was wheat/gluten. We are now on a 'detox diet' of fruit and vegies and a couple of rice cakes with a prescription of adult probiotics. we are waiting on two other  medicines  in the post, one is sodical (sodium phosphate)and the other  is zbm (zinc bio mineral). We went back to the gp today and I took the posts here from KERRILK as her story matched ours so closely. he agreed that gluten intolerance appeared to be the cause. We now have to wait and see what happens. Hope this helps other struggling parents who are exhausted from night vomiting and worried about their children.  Thank you so much to everyone who has posted on here. It has been such a relief to find some answers, particularly thanks to Kerrilk.
My 3 yr old boy has been throwing up only at night for a week now and I took him to the emergency room last night because I have had enough and I am scared. It was brutal; They had to give him an IV and take bood and CT scan to make sure nothing was pressing on any nerves to make him vomit, X-rays and the worst was when they gave him the catheter to get urine sample. This all happened at 2am and now it's 1:28pm and he still wont pee. They were able to rule out any bacterial infections and inflamation so that made me happy but they still don't know what it is. He said maybe GERD because at night the body relaxes and he just gets acid relux. I don't know but I hope it stops.
my daughter is 2 1/2 years old and has been vomiting for like a year now test always come back negetive its just a flu or sinus infection but now it is getting worse she wont eat breakfast in the morning because that is the worst time she will throw up when she sees food in the morning afternoon she will eat but not alot and she will gag and somtimes throw up Dinner time she will usually eat alot more after she gets the first bite in her mouth she is fine and eats all her food but...... then comes night time the worst of  all she gets her bottle for bed(yes she is still taking the bottle she was breastfed for 2 years and that was the only thing i could get her take to wean her off and now she wont let go of the bottle) but anyways she sleeps for a little bit then here come..
Projectile Vomiting everywhere she is getting a little better about telling me when she has to throw up but i know somthing is wrong we have no insurance due to her dad just got laid of due to the economy his whole company is on freeze so that means barely no money and no insurance does anyone have any idea what the problem could be my daughter should not be vomiting like this also she has no syptoms before or after vomiting like fevers or saying her stomach hurts it just happens im confused and dont know what to do. Ps i live in Florida
I stumbled across this thread a couple of weeks back as my 2 1/2 year old started vomiting a night and was doing so almost every night for 3 weeks.  Similar symptoms to others on here in that she was fine through the day and eating no problem but then sick through the night.

Anyhow she was booked in already to get her Tonsils and Adenoids out (HUGE tonsils, plus snoring and sleep apnea were the reasoning for doing this) and they were happy to go ahead with the op even though she had been vomiting.

Long and short is that although it was a little scary having her operated on so young it was the best thing we have done for her to date.  No more snoring or apneas, appetite improved hugely and no vomiting at night.  I'm in the UK so lucky enough to have this done on the NHS and the whole experience was excellent.  I'd recommend all parents to have a look at their child's tonsils if they have symptoms like we had.  We had sleeping, eating and breathing issues with our one since birth really and it was only the startting of snoring earlier this year that prompted us to go to the docs and start the investigation process.

hope this helps anyone out there
I'm a mom of 4 girls (10, 4 1/2, 2 1/2, 10 mos) The only flu bugs I ever remember were the 24 - 48 hour ones where you are miserably sick then it's gone. Well I'm searching on here because now I find myself in sort of the same situation as most on here....except a little different. It started with my 4 year old a few weeks ago (she goes to daycare 1 day a week) She threw up (half awake) in her bed...we cleaned her up and she was great all day....then the next morning she had a drink of water and threw up again. A week later she had a day and half of watery diarrhea.(That whole week she had not much appetite but  that was the end of the story for her. Now my 2 1/2 year old right around the same time my 4 year old had diarrhea.....threw up at the supper table on a Thursday night. She went to bed had 1 episode of diarrhea the next day and was great (ate great too). 4 days later (Monday night) had a sore belly & threw up at night again....next day....1 episode of diarrhea. 4 days later (last night - Friday) Sore belly & threw up and now this morning the diarrhea! I'm at a loss for what in the world this is? My baby (10 mos) hasn't had anything but she is breastfed and that protects from stomach bugs. My 10 year old felt off for 1 day (achey, sore throat) and I felt off for one day (achey, sore belly) Other than that it seems to be my 2 year old that is having the weird symptoms. She was breast fed for the first 16 mos. And she suffers from nut & milk allergies....so she has soy milk - but not very often. I'm planning on calling the doctor Monday and get her checked out as I am worried that this is something other than a bug. It really reminds me of an allergy reaction but it's hitting right when everyone else felt off. I'm just confused!!!
my daughter recently turned two and since the day she was born she has vomited alot and mostly at night. when i take her to the emergency room or to the pediatrician they say that nothing is wrong with her. when she was less than 24 hrs old they pumped her stomach because of the vomiting and now they tell me that nothing is wrong. i'm not sure why she does it but, if anyone tells you that your child is doing it for attention please dont listen. the best advice that i can give is to watch your child closely and figure it out on your own because in my experience the doctors aren't much help.
I have a two year old little girl who over the past 3-4 months has been having issues with vomiting very first thing in the morning.  This does not occur everyday or even every week.  It typically happens once every month.  But each time she has an 'episode' they are all identical.  She wakes typically between 5-6am, beings to cry, says 'tummy' and with that, vomits.  The vomit never contains food, it's a thick, clear saliva-looking substance, then once my daughter vomits all that out, she beings to vomit bile.  She vomits roughly every 15-20 minutes for several hours before she is completely done.  But once she is done, she seems to be a normal, happy 2 year old.  My daughter has had a past with infant acid reflux and was on liquid Zantac which was adminsitered 3 times per day from about the age of 4 months to 14 months.  The doctors told me that she should eventually grow out of it.  Now, as I said earlier, we've been experiencing this new problem for the last few months.  I'm not sure if this new problem is in any way related to the acid reflux problem she had in the past, but I intend to find out.  I spoke with my daughter's pediatrician this morning and they will be doing a CAT scan on my daughter this coming Friday.  The doc explained that they are doing this to rule out and potential problems with pressure on her brain.  They will be looking for everything from pressure due to fluids to tumors (which is my worst fear).  I didn't know that early morning vomiting can be a sign of pressure to the brain, but my doc clued me in this morning.  It's only Tuesday, so meanwhile, the doc ordered me to administer the Zantac to my daughter at bedtime at least, if not even more throughout the day.  I am praying it has nothing to do with anything neurological.  Waiting to get those results from the CAT scan will seem like an eternity.  I wish I had gone to medical school : (
lcoh
Hi Icoh, My son (almost 7yo) has not had any night time vomiting since June this year - yippee.  Looking at the similarities of all these posts it looks like there are possible links with 1) reflux as a baby and 2) intolerances say with wheat or dairy.  I can't rule out either one with Tim, or it may be a combination.  I have wondered if the problem is worse when he goes to bed soon after dinner. I am sure at times even during the day he has suffered from reflux on occasion. Have you had any luck?

To: ciara1234
I don’t understand the American health system, but could it be worth while emailing/contacting medical centres and universities with Gastroenterology Departments, or Gastroenterology research around the world?  If you get one person interested in responding it may be of help.

To: Worriedmomof4girls
Sounds viral as it would be very coincidental for all 4 girls of different ages to sick one after another otherwise. Have your girls improved?
my daughter is 16 months old and for the last month she has vomited about 6 times but only at night.  The first time I thought it was because she was crying in her crib (we were trying a little tough love and not letting her get out just comfort her).  Anyway the next time was Thanksgiving night so I thought she ate to much.  Now I am wondering is it something more.  She used to have reflux as a newborn but outgrew it.  She sleeps with her mattress crib raised and doesn't have any milk past 8 (she goes to bed at 9).  When she does get sick it is only once and then she is fine.  The one time she fell asleep while my husband was rocking her and then woke up and vomited in his arms.  Any ideas???  Should I be concerned???  

Thanks!!!!
My daughter is experiencing this night vomiting too.  Fine during the day (but decreased appetite) and then up at night.  I am thinking it is environmental.  The last time she had unexplained vomiting it was when my sister moved in an brought her cat.  Also, her sister who sleeps in the same room, is perfectly fine. So now to restart her on her Allegra and give her room another good cleaning.  Also on hold for the doctor now, so will let everyone know if they come up with anything good.  Unfortunately, I'm a stomach flu expert, also had kidney and bladder infections, so I know it isn't those things.
My 3 1/2 y/o son is having many of the same symptoms as many of you have described.  After reading many of your blogs, it has helped me to notice more of the details that I may have been overlooking.  My son has sever allergies and I am beginning a three-year treatment process to treat his allergies and improve his immune system to fight these allergies.  His vomitting did not start at a time when his allergies were acting up and he had drainage, so I have to rule out drainage in his stomach - altough I have experienced that before too with him.  Over the past two months, he has complained of several headaches and had many flu like syptoms.  He complained of headaches when he didn't have other flu like symptoms too.  Then on Christmas day he ran a 102 fever for about 36 to 48 hours.  During the night of the 29th, he vomitted.  He did awake and we got him cleaned up and he then vomitted two more times.  This has happened for three nights in a row, didn't happen for one night, and then happened again last night.  Except last night he did not awake while he vomitted and slept in it for quite some time before he awoke.  I am not totally convinced that the fever and vomitting were related.  I have also noticed that he has been snoring.  I am extremely apprehensive about taking him to his pediatrician because I don't want to "try out medications" - I want testing and I want answers.  
I've read through everyone's notes and have concerns of a different nature.  My 17-month old threw up in her sleep 3 nights ago the same night my husband came home with a nasty stomach flu.  We attributed it to the flu.  Then she was fine the next day, insatiable almost, and boom, at night, around 9pm, threw up again, and again after we changed her.  Ditto yesterday and today.  She seems to have no loss of appetite whatsoever, and we've been trying to reduce her intake in case her stomach is just getting too full.

Then we realized she had been on Amoxicillin (sp?) for an ear infection, and her dosage ended the day before she started vomitting.  She's also had watery stools, 3 times today....we think she may just need to replenish her stomach and intestinal flora and started her on live-culture yoghurt with every meal.  She's going to her GP tomorrow all the same, but I thought I'd share  in case any one else is in a similar situation.  

It still could all be the flu as DH is still experiencing the bowel side of things.
I'm really concerned for all of our children.. I know that some of the comments were made a year ago but my child has many of these same symptoms... My 2 year old daughter was born preemie and weighed just one little pound at birth.. she was diagnosed with asthma, allergies and acid reflux.. besides that a seemingly normal child.. now for the past week she has been vomitting, sporatic diarrhea and now fevers of over 101.. the docs suggest the brat diet and lots of gatorade.. i've tried this and nothing yet.. I'm concerned it could be something else.. don't know what else to do.. she asks me for food but yet the docs say no normal eating just like toast and things.. but she wants cereal, chicken and the works.. I don't want to tell her no but I also don't want her to keep getting sick.. now she is becoming somewhat lethargic.. not all the way knocked down but still not as active as usual and falls asleep very easily now.. ugh.. i'm really nervous.. any advice is greatly appreciated..
My 21 months old daughter has been throwing mostly at night for the past three days.  The doctor told us that they have had a lot of kids come in with the same symptom.  They think that there is some kind of virus going around.  The doctor recommended that I feed my daughter very little at a time and dont feed anything right before she goes to bed which seems to be working.  But my dd is very tired all the time and has been sleeping a lot during the day time.

One thing I have figured out is the reason they cough (sounds more like fake cough) right before vomitting is because they are feeling nauseated but confuse it with cough.  I always keep a bowl ready when this happens.  Hope this helps and also hope that all our kids beat this bug and start feeling better soon.