2 year old vomiting at night
My daughter is two years old and this past Sunday she woke up vomiting. At the time we thought that most likely she had gotten into some bad food because her Father had picked her up a chicken tenders kids meal late that night when the place was about to close. Well she fell back to sleep that morning and when she woke back up she was fine. She was playing and running and laughing all day. She even rode a carousel! Well that night (Sunday)while she was sleeping she threw up again. She also threw up when she woke up that morning. When I say she's throwing up I'm not just talking about a small amount like spit up she is throwing up a lot. Well after she threw up that first time monday morning she was fine again all day and just as happy as could be. Again on monday night and Tuesday morning she threw up again.
I have been nursing my daughter every since she was born and I'm wondering if there is any way possible that somehow my milk is making her sick. She nurses a little during the day still but mostly at night because she sleeps in the same bed with me. She uses it to go back to sleep when she wakes up and to fall asleep in the first place. I don't think that it is the chicken anymore because it seems like that would keep her sick all day and not just at night. Thanks for any help you can give.
Could she possibly be having any drainage from her sinus? I know when I have it draining into my stomach, I throw up when I wake up in the morning. Just a thought. I wouldn't think your breast milk would be doing it, actually I would think that it would help her. Hopefully she gets better.
Mandi
10-20-04

I just stumbled across your posting. I have a two year old daughter who has vomited for the past three nights. She is perfectly fine during the day. I thought maybe her sinuses were draining and causing her to gag since she was lying on her back, but last night she was lying on her stomach. I am not breastfeeding her. She hasn't been breastfeed in almost 2 years. If you have found anything out about your child I would love to know. Thanks.
My 2 1/2 year old has been throwing up alot. she has thrown up 4 times in the past 3 weeks and we know it is not the flu because I have a daycare and no one is catching this. She had a UTI and a upper respitory infection this past week and she is on an antibiotic so I thought this would take care of the problem but 5 days on the med. she is still doing this. Should I have the doctor do further tests on her?? I'm more concerned now because she hasnt been wanting to eat. She never was breast feed and I did take fertility to finally conceive her. I guess Im just tring to say Im just as concerned as this other mom. Please I f you find help let me know.
hello, my son is going to be three next month and experiencing the same thing please send me information on anything that can help me. i'm only 22 years old and no longer know what to do. my son has been experiencing this for 7 days now. he is not breastfed. and was wondering what it could be. i want to take him to the emergency room, like hid doctor is telling me to do, but with him fine durring the day, they're going to look at me like im crazy. thank you
Hi, i don't a  child yet but i watched my younger sister who just turned three a little while ago she had gone through that too for a long time before i could convince her mother (my stepmother) to take her to the emergency room. she had seen her doctor and the doctor told her the same thing. so would just like to say it's probley a good idea to take them to the emergency room and tell them whats happening and if they look at you like your crazy go all mother on them start getting angry and yeah you understand i hope they all get better.. best of luck
My 2 1/2 year old dd has been doing the same thing for a week now. only at night or in the morning. i took her in to the pediatrician on friday and they said it is "going around" (here anyways) they said it was viral. so there was no medicine. the first 4 days she has diarrea. she has been sipping on pedialite and it on the "b.r.a.t" diet. (bananas,rice,applesauce,toast) that is what my doc said to do. so far no vomiting today or tonight. good luck everybody!
My 14 month old son has been doing this for almost 2 months>>>pukes at night after he's been laying down for a few hours then wakes up coughing and pukes alot everywhere!  He has been on 3 different antibiotics and still does it< they thought maybe drainage took xrays on chest and sinus's and said sinus looked hazey but could be because he was crying during xray..he is now on the same antibiotic he was on at first and still pukes at night. He is fine all day sometimes pukes in morning...if anyone has any idea what this could be please let me know
Ugh, it is awful to hear all of these comments, but then again it is nice to know I am not alone.  My 2 year old daughter has been throwing up for about 2 months now.  At first it was only at night or first thing in the morning and then she started doing it at random times during the day as well.  For about 2 weeks she was throwing up at least 3 times a day.  I took her to the doctor and mentioned that I was concerned because she had reflux when she was a baby so they put her back on the reflux medication.  They also gave her medicine for asthma and allergies because she was throwing up when she was coughing so they thought it might be due to asthma.  She was still throwing up on all of the medicines so we tried taking her off milk since I was lactose intolerant when I was a child.  That didn't work either.  She recently had an UGI w/barium swallow and they said everything was normal.  The next step is the Gastroenterologist.  She isn't throwing up as frequently now, but I took her off all of the medicines since they weren't helping and it was torture trying to get her to take them.  She throws up about once a week now and just as some said it's not just a little.  She projectile vomits all over the place!!!!  I didn't think her little tummy could even hold that much.  Someone please help!!!  I don't want to see her suffer anymore and the laundry pile doesn't stop!!!
It has been confirmed from my pediatrician here in VA that there is a very bad strain of stomach flu going around.  Any milk products will make your child ill with this virus.  I had to put my daugther on Soy Milk for the past 2 weeks (yes for two weeks is what my doc told me to do) Heck, I thought I was pregnant again as I vomited about 40 times in one day.  It is a bizarre flu....my daughter was sick then 4 days later I got really ill.  She was also sick a lot at night--but on and off.  This bug still has my stomach upset 5 days later .  It is in every state now
I have a 3 yr old.. she started vomiting tuesday night, i thought it was from the dinner i made.  I put her to sleep and 20 minutes later she is projectile vomiting everywhere!  Gave her a bath, she calmed down chnaged into jammies then vomited again in my bed!  she kept vomiting until it was all green bile! I rushed her to the er. The doc looked at her vomit (i brought the bucket) he said bile was normal. He gave a drug caled Zofran used for nausea and vomiting in cancer patients. Well it worked, she was jumping up and down on her hospital bed.  Weds she was fina all day back to herself, thursday morning she was fine too. I put her to bed and bam she vomits again!! fine friday morning, vomits again fri night.  saturday morning shes fine, playing all day. Put her to bed Saturday nignt and she vomits again! Doc said it is a stomach flu that is going around, but somehow i think something else may be wrong. Somebody please help...PS we live in FL
Saturday my daughter had a cold (runny nose) and on Sunday after she ate lunch, she threw up and felt fine afterwards then Sunday night after dinner she did the same thing.  Monday morning she woke up, still runny nose and cough but felt ok during the day.  Tuesday morning around 3am she started coughing and woke up, I layed her back down and she ended up throwing up.  We clean everything up and lay her down and 30 minutes later she does it again without coughing.  We clean up again and 10 minutes later she starts whining and throws up again, by this time she doesn't have anything else to throw up.  Yoou could tell the day before she wasn't feeling herself because she didn't eat like she normally does.  Well, Tuesday she is playing and everything seems ok, still not a big appetite except at lunchtime.  I'm thinking she is getting better but  that night she starts coughing while sleeping and throws up..not much since she didn't eat much supper.  Wednesday she is actually running, playing, eating like normal and then Thursday morning at 3am she coughs and throws up.  We clean her up and lay her back down and she starts whining like she knows more is coming and sure enough she throws up and this time I can hear it gurgling in her belly as it comes up.
At first I thought it was mucus that was making her throw up but now I don't know.  A week prior to this she was running a fever and I took her to the doctor and she had a mild ear infection.  They gave her antibotics so I was surprised that she ended up with a cold a week later while she was still on the medicine and now that she is off of it she has a cold with the vomiting.  I am so worried that something more serious it going on but then I read all of the other post and I feel a little better that my child is not the only one. I am going to take her back to the doctor in the morning.
my two-and-a-half yr. old is throwing up at night.  i guess my daughters case may not be as severe as some others but is still alarming.  Sunday night my daughter threw up a little in her sleep she never woke up and i didn't realize it until morning - talk about feeling guilty.  The next morning she was totally normal.  Playing, eating, lots of energy the whole works. The next day she started to come down with something (sneezing coughing  and green mucus) so i took her to see the Doc.  Doc said her and her baby sis had the same thing just a plain cold- no meds, just rest, stay hydrated, use a humidifier you know the drill.  Anyways things were rocking along and a couple days later i checked on my daughter about two hours after i put her to bed and once again she threw up in her sleep.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be?  p.s. baby sister is not throwing up.  I was thinking two possibilitis  1. drainage making her sick to her stomach or 2. a low grade fever from her cold making cows milk (o.k.it was really ice cream but a dairy product none the less) go sour in her stomach.    
The doctor could be right.  However, if it persists for more than a week or two, it should be checked out further.

It could be just post-nasal drip.  It could be GERD (acid reflux disease).  There are tests that can confirm or rule it out.

Tonight's Discovery Health Channel episode of Mystery Diagnosis has a case of a child vomiting in her sleep (without waking up).  It happened for over 3 months.  The child was fine otherwise during the day.  For a long time, no one could figure out what was wrong. It slowly got worse (happened every night, then multiple time a night) until eventually, the child had one such episode, after which her words were slurred and she drooled for several minutes.  That sent them to a neurologist.

Dr Aviva Bojko (neurologist) did continuous EEG monitoring and observation while the child slept.  Through this, they determined that the child had epileptic seizures.  Depending on the area of the brain affected, subtle seizures can manifest as a skin tic, a slurring, or even vomiting.  This MD said this child was the only person under her care in which the seizures caused night vomiting.

Very rare, but the bottom line is, if it doesn't get better, don't give up until you find a doctor that believes you.
My child (2 1/2) has vomitted 21 times in the past four weeks.  Sometimes multiple times per day, sometimes 3 days without vomitting.  Started with strep throat, was put on antibiotics, then got a virus on top of strep, put on different antibiotic, ran temps, was put on albuterol nebulizer and xoponex inhaler, got rash/hives. is very odd. I've been to the dr and the ER multiple times, I keep being told it is a virus.  I even went the the allergist with my son, he has no allergies that we can determine, was put on a nasal spray for allergies anyway, and is still vomitting!  He appears to vomit everything he ate that day, and sometimes the day before. He has lost weight (about 2lbs, 36 down to 34 lbs), is actually starting to get constipated, still has multiple wet diapers a day.  I have changed his diet from day to day and he still vomits!  He has vomitted twice in the night without waking - which is really scary!!!:(

Anyone an answer on this I would appreciate hearing out what you find!
I have a 4 year old son who has been showing the same symptoms as many of the other children here. It started about 2 weeks ago when he woke up in the middle of the night and vomited in his sleep only to wake up not feeling well. The next day he was fine so I figured it had to be something he ate so I threw away a lot of the foods he ate that day passing his illness of as a reaction to something he ate.
However his vomiting started again the other night. Same time of night as the last time. The next day he felt fine. And then Again last night. Every time he is waking up at 2:30 at night and vomits but proceeds to fell fine with no signs of sickness during the day. My thoughts are dietary allergy or some sort of post nasal drip as I also have a 2 year old who has not at all been effected. Although I'm not a doctor and cant assume otherwise. If this "illness" continues to occur then I will proceed to either the ER and or my family doctor. But I am still very concerned. If anyone can share any thoughts of why this may be happening I would greatly appreciate your input!
Canadian Momma of Two
My 8 year old daughter is having the same problem with vomiting episodes through the night.  She is able to go back to sleep after she vomits, and it does not happen every night.  It has happened 5 times over the past 4 weeks.  She seems fine during the day.  With no additional symptoms.
Like many of you I am trying to search for answers and have run across ideas ranging from yeast and gluten products to viral infections.

She is usually a healthy girl, but this winter she has had strep throat twice and the flu as well.  But those don't seem to be related to the vomiting episodes.  I am going to continue searching the food sensitivity since my daughter seems to vomit at the same time each night, and it is largely undigested food. (with enough time having passed since a meal that it seems like an unusually large amount.)

I would appreciate any additional information any of you find.  and will post more information as we explore the possibile reasons.
My fifteen month old has started doing this and we have heard everything from it's a virus, it's another virus, to GERD.  He was previously on Nexium as an infant so they put him back on that.  Today he saw his GI doctor and she said it may be that his bowels are full thus causing everything to back up....if a laxative doesn't help in addition to the Nexium, she said that night and morning vomiting are indicative of a nuerological problem and we will have to do an MRI.  Of course, I am worried sick over this...has anyone else heard this opinion?
I am a twenty one year old mother and my son is 2 1/2 years old and he as been experiencing the same symptoms as everyone else children. He's vomiting uncontrollably and it scares me. The doctor said it was a virus and perscribed me the generic brand of Zofran. I personally do not think it is a virus because it has occured to long. Everytime I touch his throat he starts to gag. I just want to know what is going on with my little boy and I appreciate any feedback. Thank You concern mother in Alabama.
thank you for all your comments!

Our son has been vomiting at night and we were so worried that I looked on the internet and found this thread. He also has a heavy cold of some kind. Reading through many of your comments we are wondering if he  has some kind of stomach flu, and that this bug reacts badly to milk. This would make sense  because, thinking about it,... it isn't just the night he vomits, he also vomits when he has his nap... and basically we think it might be the milk.,,, we give it to him, he settles down, the bug reacts with it and causes him to vomit. We will try a period without milk.

thanks again.
My 21/2 year old started with runny stools (not diarrhea just runny) and then started vomiting at night (2:30 a.m. every night) bright as a button after.  My sister (who has lived a long time in Africa) listened to the symptoms (vomiting, very smelly runny stools) and said I should get him checked for parasites (very common apparently).  Took him to the doctor who prescribe him something to get "the good bacteria" back into his system because with all the vomiting and runny stools he has flushed all the good ones out (makes sense).  Starting prescription tonight will let you know.  Dr. said if this doesn't work they will have to run blood tests.
We recently dealt with this same thing (2 year old vomiting at night, with no other symptoms).  One doctor said it was a virus that was going around, another said it was a result of our daughter's coughing at night (which he thought was allergy related and suggested we giver her Benadryl).  We decided to give her an antihistamine before going to bed to clear her up.  Worked like a charm.
My son vomited almost every night at the same time from 3months old to 2 years and 9 months - by then he weighed only 18lbs and spent most of his time in different hospitals undergoing every test imaginable. He became very very ill. First thing girls, listen to your maternal instincts very carefully and work on getting the feeling from your child if the problem is mechanical (like his tonsils are big and getting in the way of his airways when lying down) or bacterial (tummy bug or some sort?) or emotional (needs crib brought back to your bedside where you can hold his hand and reassure him all night until things improve); chemical (sometimes if they vomit a lot they need rehydration salts to rebalance the system otherwise the body gets in the 'vomiting habit'); alergic etc. Doctors can help you better when you help them because you know the child best.   I discovered myself through research that my child had a magnesium absorbton problem which was solved by administering a multi vitamin supplement (containing safe levels of magnesium and zinc amongst other vitamins and minerals) which rebalanced his body and the vomiting stopped with 3 days. When he regained some weight he had his tonsils removed and pretty much immediately began to improve all round.  He's now 9 years old, tall strong, clever and sporty!!  Don't give up - no matter how bad things get, it will get better.
My 9 year old daughter has also been vomiting in her sleep. It's been happening for several years but is now happening more often, about once a month, and  now twice in past 8 days.  She has no other symptoms and  feels fine the next morning.  It always happens about an hour after she goes to bed.  She recently had a CT scan which was normal, but found a sinus infection. She is now on antibiotics for this.  My feeling is it has nothing to do with a sinus infection; it's been happening for too long.    After reading about the Discovery Channnel Mystery Diagnosis, I think that's my daughter. The other night we noticed she shook in her sleep for a couple seconds and then vomited.  She woke up after getting sick, but doesn't always.   We have an appt. with a gastroenerologist to rule out GERD and a neurologist. It is so helpful to hear about other parents dealing with the same issues, sometimes you feel like the doctors think you're crazy!
My 3 year old seems to do exactly what most of you are talking about... vomit at night and then fine the next day.  So I started thinking about what was happening before bed, and what was different about bed time and nap time.  The only thing that I came up with was tooth brushing.  My son is pretty good about spitting out the "suds", but he still swallows some.  Personally swallowing toothpaste is one of my least favorite things.  So I've started putting the tiniest bit of all natural toothpaste on his brush.  So far so good, although it was never a regular thing with him..  It sounds too easy, but I figure it might be worth a try.  Hope this helps... both my child and your!
I'm unfortunately in the same situation.  My 4 year old has been throwing up every night around the same time for about a week. She wakes up feeling great and goes about her day. I'm taking her to the doctor tomorrow. Any other info please let me know!
My 2 year old has been doing the same thing... fine all day... coughing at night and then throwing up. I am wondering if it's her 2 year molars coming in, causing her to drool etc. It is very odd, yet comforting:) in some ways to see a whole bunch of posts on this though.

Anyone with upadates from the posts from a month or so agao would be appreciated. Has it resolved itself and did you find the cause?

Dae
My son has now been to the allergist, been given a nasal allergy spray, and had neurological tests, blood draws and stool samples.  All these provided no answers as to why he was vomitting.  In fact, we had to stop the allergy spray since he would gag and sometimes vomit -defeating  the reason we put him on the meds.  There was also no reduction in the number of vomits per week on the meds then off.  The blood tests came back that he did not have celiac disease, that he did not have an inflamation (SEDS test), with an only slightly elevated white blood cell count - no big infection.  So we were told to talk to the allergist again.  In the mean time, when we heard that it might be celiac disease, we took him off gluten products (except for the 2 days before and the day of the blood test to get a good read).  This has cured his vomitting.  Unfortunately, he is now having diarrhea all the time.  The ped dr then did a blood allergy test on him for foods and found he was NOT allergic to wheat, but maybe allergic three different milk proteins and cheese molds.  We did a gluten free diet, and have continued on it with a lot of success.  It is very difficult, since it seems that all premade food items taste aweful, and we have to make everything from scratch.  The payoff so far is no vomitting.  We are now testing out the milk allergy, i.e. no dairy for a while, to see if this clears the diarrhea up.  We will be repeating trial runs of wheat and milk to see if he is really sensitive/allergic or if it was just a virus.

As an added note, a friend of a friend had their two year old doing the vomitting thing and found out he had ulcers - cured by antibiotics.  My doctor would not perform the test since the insurance company would look down on this for a toddler!  I'll be fighting that battle tomorrow!
My son is now 25 years old and his vomiting periods started much later in his life (teens) but there is a condition called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome that I read about on the following web site: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/cvs/index.htm
My son would wake up in the morning and vomit and sometimes feel better after, sometimes not.  It was preventing him from keeping a job (always calling in "sick") and we couldn't figure out what was wrong with him.  So I just 'googled' chronic vomiting and was led to a few web sites about CVS.  The onset usually starts in young children, much like you are all describing.  I don't know if this will help any of you but my son is now symptom-free... and working!  Good luck to all of you and good health to your children.
I have definately narrowed my son's vomitting down to wheat/gluten.  Since Feb 15th he has vomitted twice, both on days he was given wheat products (soy sauce even has it, must read all labels!).  His diarrhea also went away after I called a holistic doctor who immediately diagnosed him and had me start some pills.  The pill (proactazyme plus by Nature's Sunshine) that he said to give Anthony contains: Protease 4.5, protease 6.0, protease 3.0, amylase, glcuomylase, lipase, cellulase, invertase, malt diastase, alpha-galactosidase, peptidase.  These are mostly enzymes that your panchreas creates and help you digest food.  Within 3 days he had a regular bowel movement after a month of not having one!  The regular doctors were no help.  He had lost 3 lbs over 2 months (36.something to 33.4).  His energy level skyrocketed back to normal within 18 hours of the first pill.  The holistic doctor said he would not have to take these for too long, just until his system has gotten back to normal.  He also said the vomitting from wheat should also then go away - but to keep him gluten free anyway (it's gluten that gunks up your system).
My 2 yr old daughter is suffering from this also. She is fine during the day, but the past 2 nights she vomits in her sleep. She had an upper resp. infection a few weeks ago and was put on amox. then again about 2 weeks later she came down with an ear infection, more chest congestion. She was put on amox. again. After being on the meds the 2nd time for 7 days she then got a red solid rash on her lower back and on the front where her leg meets her private area. The doc said to take her off the med until he saw her. By the time he saw her the rash dissipated to little spots and totally left from the front area. He said he doesn't think its the med, but to keep her off it for a couple days and prescribed a steroid cream. Her ear is still a bit irritated he said. He didn't seem to be concerned about the night-time vomiting at all, that there is a bad flu going around. She just started day care right when all of this started. I don't know if it's that or just a bad season for viruses? I hope tonight is better.
The diarrhea still didn't go away, it came back (he got some kind of sinus illness), so the holistic doctor recommended a super-duper probiotic pill.  That seems to be doing the trick.  My 2 yr old is back to normal after 2 1/2 months!  The probiotic 11 pill (also from Nature's Sunshine) has the following in it: Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium bifidus, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus bulcaricus, Lactobacillus plantarum, Streptococcus thermophilus, Bifidobacterium infantis, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus salivarius .  I had been giving him an acidophilus pill from the local pharmacy, but it did not have as many types or numbers as the new pill.
Hello, I am having a similar problem with my son. We live in Delaware right now. He is going to be 7 years old this month. I know every one else has much younger children but it seems to be the same thing. He has been vomiting every night and he is fine all day. The first night he did it he vomited in his sleep and didn't even wake up. I heard him getting sick and started calling his name and noticed he was still asleep and didn't even realize what happened. The first day he was sick with a little vomiting and some diarrhea. Then the second day he seemed fine all day, jumping around and acting like his crazy self. Then about 2 hours after he went to sleep he vomited and hes been doing it every night since then. Now everyone else in the house has diarrhea so I'm wondering if it's some kind of bug. I was thinking maybe there is something wrong with the water because that is the only thing I can think of that all of us have eaten or drank. He did have a cold about a month ago but that cleared up. This has just been a terrible year for us. I just really don't know what do to do anymore because taking him to any doctor or emergency room has not helped. He gets an antibiotic, gets better and then gets sick again or it just never fully goes away. If someone knows something to do about this it would be a great help!! Thank you and good luck to everyone else!!
unfortunately i think that for most of us, it's just the bad virus going around.  my daughter has it as well and am utterly confused how she can be  perfect all day and then vomit like the exorcist at night in her sleep.  I have thrown away 4 pillows and should buy stock in lysol at this point.  My husband and i got it as well but the main symptoms didn't last as long.  Still took us 5 days for our stomach to stop turning.  The Doctor said as long as they are drinking and urinating, it is okay, it just takes their little bodies longer to kick something than ours.  hope this helps
my 13 monthold daughter has been thrwing up or gagging on clear mucus. She gags and it just comes up, its always clear or foamy and she only does it at night.  She always sleeps through the night so when I hear her whine or cry I know something is wrong. She also is putting her hands behind her head on her neck as if this part of her body hurts her. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 6 year old that has now been vomiting in his sleep in November last year.  At first if was for 2 nights in a row when we were on holidays.  Always at 3 am in the morning.  We suspected stress from being away from home and being and on the move a lot during the day visiting family and friends.  Being from a remote town and travelling to a city we had eaten a fair amount of junk food like pizza and fish and chips when we first got into town.  

Since then it has only been once every 3 weeks or so, or at least 5 nights apart.  One day was when we were out camping, and two other days have been when we were out for the day fishing and his School Athletics Carnival.  Not sure the other times. Not sure if this is just coincidence.

The vomit is very strong smelling and a lot of undigested food for 8 hours after dinner time. I would also say it is at projectile strength.

I am not convinced it is dehydration linked (we do live in a hot environment during the summer - up 45 deg C/113 deg F, but it is cooler at the moment – with tops of only 25 C/77 F deg).

He is fine 10 minutes after he chucks and is ok the next day for school etc (after he eats something).

He has food and colouring intolerances not no allergies.
Had silent reflux for 18 months as a baby.

Has never been a huge milk drinker, but loves cheese and a little yoghurt.

Has had the old cold recently and I wondered if it was flem going down into the stomach, but no flem sighted and doesn't explain undigested food.

No temperature or other symptoms that are obvious.

Would not suspect a stomach virus as it is can be weeks apart and for 6 months now.  No other member of the family has it and my 4 year old is usually the first to bring anything home or get sick.

One forum mentioned a yeast infection or imbalance in stomach which could possibly match the symptoms.  Does this sound a possible match to any for your families with the same symptoms?
My 2 1/2 year old daughter started vomiting Sunday night after returning home from a 3 hour trip.  Woke up at 12:30 a.m., vomited everything since lunch and was then fine.  went to bed.  Fine all next day.  Monday night woke up and through up at 10:30 p.m. fine after that, fine the next day.  No other symptoms-no fever.  Wanted to take her to the doctor, but htem heard about a virus going aroung, so  i thought I'd see what happened tonight.  Laid her down and again, vomited after laying down for 10-15 minutes.  Found this site for info, I'm taking her into dr in morning for blood work as this does not seem flulike.  I'm afraid it acts like a bowel obstruction, however, she is still voiding and has bm's during the days, so possible partial obstruction???Hmmm...  I'm wanting to hear flu virus, but my dr is very cautious and I know we'll be in the hospital with tests all day tomorrow.  So, I'll post again when I find anything else out from the tests.  It sounds like we're all in the same boat.  
Hi Mommyme204,
I hope your daughter is ok now.  I am very interested in the outcome from your doctor.  

My 20 month old is going through some of the same things as described by other mothers.  We have never had an issue with her going to bed in the past.  It has always been bath, brush teeth, book and then night night.  She always take her ribbon blanket and doggy stuffed animal to bed with her until one night she just vomited for no reason.  I thought it may have been because she had to much sweets and Grandma's house, but when she started doing it each night right at bedtime, I know it has to be something more.  She had a really bad upper resperatory virus and then an ear infection.  She's been on Amoxicillion now for a week and is still vomiting at bed time each night.  I don't know if she's suffering from anxiety or if something more serious is wrong.  The rest of the day she seems to be fine.  I am completely clueless!
I am a nurse and so I will not say that any of the things suggested here aren't true for each of your children...It could be any of the simple things suggested to you. All of which if left untreated can lead to serious complications like hearing loss or esophageal erosion. However, I just saw the Mystery Diagnosis episode and it made me get out of bed and come down to the computer to research the doctor mentioned above... here's why... my husband of 12 years who is 36 y/o was diagnosed with grand mal seizures (picture the kind that make you think of The Exorcist) when he was 19. They absolutely only occur at night in the early morning deepest sleep hours. This was the first time he lived away from home and had a roommate. We suspect they had been going on since early adolescence. When we were first married I noticed to my dismay that he would have as many as 25 gagging episodes per night and occasionally even throw up in his sleep but for the first 6 years he did not have any grand mal seizures as he was well controlled on very minimal meds (pediatric sized doses). He never remembered the episodes in the morning. When we asked his family and doctors about it they said that he had been a premie and had the gagging and night time vomiting ever since he was a child and probly had reflux. They tried putting him on several meds for reflux and even performed surgery to try to stop the "reflux" episodes. This helped but did not end the problem. He would still have 2-5 episodes per night even after the surgery and with meds for both reflux and seizures. We persisted and took him to a local neuro and another and another and then to a regional neuro center where they did 24 hour video EEG. He had MRI's, CT's and EEG's. All tests like the little girl's were normal during the day. Even his night time one is very close to normal. Most people with epilepsy only have normal brainwave patterns at night during REM sleep (the time that my husband's and the little girl's are abnormal). I intend fully even though my husband is not a child and she is a pediatric neuro to contact this MD to find out if she has made any connections on this VERY rare form of seizures. If you have a child for whom the problem of night time gagging/vomiting has lasted more than a month or two I highly suggest you at least consider the possibility that this could be the problem. My husband's family never looked into it and by the time they discovered what it really was it has turned into much more severe seizures and the damage and scarring was already done. The seizures have only become more severe as the years have gone by. The meds become more expensive as they become harder to control and the seizures can impact things like personality development and centers for emotion as well as memory, self esteem and self confidence. It impacts my ability to sleep so badly that he often has to sleep in another room so I can just get enough sleep to function myself. Not to mention the way he feels sick and exhausted the next day and the side effects of the increased meds on his ability to function in the day (they can make you so drowsy as to seem narcoleptic) and on his bones, teeth and liver. Please don't wait too long before at least looking into it.
My daughter is twelve months old and has for the last three nights vomited in her sleep.  The first night we heard her crying at 1 in the morning, her bedtime is about 8-8:30, and the next two nights at 9:30, otherwise, she is perfect during the day except she is coughing.  I took her to the doctor yesterday, and I was told it could be a stomach bug, but I find it odd that it only happens at night and she really isn't acting sick.  After reading all the mothers concerns, I am getting scared.  Should I give it some more time and see if things get better, take her off milk, or take her back to the doctor?
my three year old daughter also has the same problem , it seems to be a repetitive patter. I have been told by two different pediatricians over a period of time that its asthma and allergies. She has never been given any blood work or an allergy test. She has been given the brat diet about one third of her life, and sent home with some liquid claratin every time. I cannot watch her go through another night like this. I fear she is going to drown in the throw up or suffocate when shes cough so hard she can't catch her breath. I appreciate you sharing your story .  
Thanks for responding...in a way it makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone.  I called the dr. yesterday and she said to give her a plain dinner, keep her propped up and call her on Monday if she doesn't get any better.  Well, I did everything she said, but I had been doing it the past few nights anyway, and she threw up again. Same as every night, about an hour and a half into sleep.  She was coughing so hard she couldn't breathe (just like your daughter), but the weird thing is that my eldest daughter who is 27 months, has had a fever the past two days with no other symptoms.  She is acting like her normal self except she's running a steady fever of 102.  I have been giving her motrin, and the fever does go down for a couple of hours, but it just comes right back.  I'm sure you can imagine how difficult the past few nights have been for their father and I.  I usually always know what's wrong with my girls, but this time I am absolutely clueless.
My daughter will be 2 years old next month and she has just started the same symptoms as all of the postings on this page. I am in search for some answers, I am really scared that something very bad is going on with the constant vomitting. It started out with an upper respiratory infection that I found out from the doctor. Now my daughter around 2 every morning will wake up screaming and crying and throwing up everything in her stomach. She will either throw up 2 or 3 times or for more than an hour. Every night it continues to happen and we are exhausted from no sleep having to care for my ill child. There has to be some answeres. I went back to the doctor and questioned what she was diagnosed with and she said it was probably the drainage and as long as she is eating and drinking she will be fine. Well I am sorry but a small child throwing up every night is not ok and now she will barely eat but I have no problems with her taking fluids. When she was a infant she did have reflux problems but grew out of them and nothing like this at all. There is a huge differance between spitting up as an infant and throwing up everything in your stomach. I hope and pray that all of our children with the same symptoms will be ok and someone can help us get our children better. I do not want this to continue for months like some of the postings. HELP!
Did you ever resolve your son's vomiting? I ask because my 8 year old seems to have a very similar problem. He has vomited once a night once a week for about a month now, with no other symptoms. He also had reflux as a baby and doesn't drink milk now, although does eat some cheese and yogurt. I took him to the doctor, but he doesn't think its anything serious. Not sure if this could be a gluten, wheat, dairy allergy, or something like an ulcer? We all are desperate to find a cure. Please let me know if you have found anything to work. Thanks!
My son is almost 7 years old now, but we had this problem when he was younger.  We went through this ordeal every night for months, you could almost set a clock by him. I spent many countless nights in the E.R. and many more in the hospital after he had lost so much weight. Finally his doctors sent him to a G.I. specialist. We had all kinds of test done. What we found out is that it was in fact reflux. When reflux comes up in your throught it will make you cough, and then you gag and throw up. Sometimes they don't cough at all. My suggestion is to have him brought to a specialist but in the meantime elevate the head  of his bed at night and give a bland diet not likely to cause heartburn.
My friends daughter is 1 1/2 years old and she just starting vomiting once per day in the morning and after finished vomiting she can't walk (becomes paralyzed). This morning she couldn't even sit up. She is in the hospital they ran every test imaginable and found nothing. Now she is going to CHOP. Anyone ever hear of this???
My 2 year old son has had vomiting at night for almost 2 weeks. He has lost almost 3 kilos and has had a few bouts of diarrhea. He is not dehydrated. He was tested for celiac's and it came back negative. We had an x-ray of his chest to rule out pneumonia and one of his abdomen to rule out a foreign object that may have been swallowed. We also had urine samples done. All came back negative and clear. I finally rang our naturopath who suggested it was wheat/gluten. We are now on a 'detox diet' of fruit and vegies and a couple of rice cakes with a prescription of adult probiotics. we are waiting on two other  medicines  in the post, one is sodical (sodium phosphate)and the other  is zbm (zinc bio mineral). We went back to the gp today and I took the posts here from KERRILK as her story matched ours so closely. he agreed that gluten intolerance appeared to be the cause. We now have to wait and see what happens. Hope this helps other struggling parents who are exhausted from night vomiting and worried about their children.  Thank you so much to everyone who has posted on here. It has been such a relief to find some answers, particularly thanks to Kerrilk.
My 3 yr old boy has been throwing up only at night for a week now and I took him to the emergency room last night because I have had enough and I am scared. It was brutal; They had to give him an IV and take bood and CT scan to make sure nothing was pressing on any nerves to make him vomit, X-rays and the worst was when they gave him the catheter to get urine sample. This all happened at 2am and now it's 1:28pm and he still wont pee. They were able to rule out any bacterial infections and inflamation so that made me happy but they still don't know what it is. He said maybe GERD because at night the body relaxes and he just gets acid relux. I don't know but I hope it stops.
my daughter is 2 1/2 years old and has been vomiting for like a year now test always come back negetive its just a flu or sinus infection but now it is getting worse she wont eat breakfast in the morning because that is the worst time she will throw up when she sees food in the morning afternoon she will eat but not alot and she will gag and somtimes throw up Dinner time she will usually eat alot more after she gets the first bite in her mouth she is fine and eats all her food but...... then comes night time the worst of  all she gets her bottle for bed(yes she is still taking the bottle she was breastfed for 2 years and that was the only thing i could get her take to wean her off and now she wont let go of the bottle) but anyways she sleeps for a little bit then here come..
Projectile Vomiting everywhere she is getting a little better about telling me when she has to throw up but i know somthing is wrong we have no insurance due to her dad just got laid of due to the economy his whole company is on freeze so that means barely no money and no insurance does anyone have any idea what the problem could be my daughter should not be vomiting like this also she has no syptoms before or after vomiting like fevers or saying her stomach hurts it just happens im confused and dont know what to do. Ps i live in Florida
I stumbled across this thread a couple of weeks back as my 2 1/2 year old started vomiting a night and was doing so almost every night for 3 weeks.  Similar symptoms to others on here in that she was fine through the day and eating no problem but then sick through the night.

Anyhow she was booked in already to get her Tonsils and Adenoids out (HUGE tonsils, plus snoring and sleep apnea were the reasoning for doing this) and they were happy to go ahead with the op even though she had been vomiting.

Long and short is that although it was a little scary having her operated on so young it was the best thing we have done for her to date.  No more snoring or apneas, appetite improved hugely and no vomiting at night.  I'm in the UK so lucky enough to have this done on the NHS and the whole experience was excellent.  I'd recommend all parents to have a look at their child's tonsils if they have symptoms like we had.  We had sleeping, eating and breathing issues with our one since birth really and it was only the startting of snoring earlier this year that prompted us to go to the docs and start the investigation process.

hope this helps anyone out there
I'm a mom of 4 girls (10, 4 1/2, 2 1/2, 10 mos) The only flu bugs I ever remember were the 24 - 48 hour ones where you are miserably sick then it's gone. Well I'm searching on here because now I find myself in sort of the same situation as most on here....except a little different. It started with my 4 year old a few weeks ago (she goes to daycare 1 day a week) She threw up (half awake) in her bed...we cleaned her up and she was great all day....then the next morning she had a drink of water and threw up again. A week later she had a day and half of watery diarrhea.(That whole week she had not much appetite but  that was the end of the story for her. Now my 2 1/2 year old right around the same time my 4 year old had diarrhea.....threw up at the supper table on a Thursday night. She went to bed had 1 episode of diarrhea the next day and was great (ate great too). 4 days later (Monday night) had a sore belly & threw up at night again....next day....1 episode of diarrhea. 4 days later (last night - Friday) Sore belly & threw up and now this morning the diarrhea! I'm at a loss for what in the world this is? My baby (10 mos) hasn't had anything but she is breastfed and that protects from stomach bugs. My 10 year old felt off for 1 day (achey, sore throat) and I felt off for one day (achey, sore belly) Other than that it seems to be my 2 year old that is having the weird symptoms. She was breast fed for the first 16 mos. And she suffers from nut & milk allergies....so she has soy milk - but not very often. I'm planning on calling the doctor Monday and get her checked out as I am worried that this is something other than a bug. It really reminds me of an allergy reaction but it's hitting right when everyone else felt off. I'm just confused!!!
my daughter recently turned two and since the day she was born she has vomited alot and mostly at night. when i take her to the emergency room or to the pediatrician they say that nothing is wrong with her. when she was less than 24 hrs old they pumped her stomach because of the vomiting and now they tell me that nothing is wrong. i'm not sure why she does it but, if anyone tells you that your child is doing it for attention please dont listen. the best advice that i can give is to watch your child closely and figure it out on your own because in my experience the doctors aren't much help.
I have a two year old little girl who over the past 3-4 months has been having issues with vomiting very first thing in the morning.  This does not occur everyday or even every week.  It typically happens once every month.  But each time she has an 'episode' they are all identical.  She wakes typically between 5-6am, beings to cry, says 'tummy' and with that, vomits.  The vomit never contains food, it's a thick, clear saliva-looking substance, then once my daughter vomits all that out, she beings to vomit bile.  She vomits roughly every 15-20 minutes for several hours before she is completely done.  But once she is done, she seems to be a normal, happy 2 year old.  My daughter has had a past with infant acid reflux and was on liquid Zantac which was adminsitered 3 times per day from about the age of 4 months to 14 months.  The doctors told me that she should eventually grow out of it.  Now, as I said earlier, we've been experiencing this new problem for the last few months.  I'm not sure if this new problem is in any way related to the acid reflux problem she had in the past, but I intend to find out.  I spoke with my daughter's pediatrician this morning and they will be doing a CAT scan on my daughter this coming Friday.  The doc explained that they are doing this to rule out and potential problems with pressure on her brain.  They will be looking for everything from pressure due to fluids to tumors (which is my worst fear).  I didn't know that early morning vomiting can be a sign of pressure to the brain, but my doc clued me in this morning.  It's only Tuesday, so meanwhile, the doc ordered me to administer the Zantac to my daughter at bedtime at least, if not even more throughout the day.  I am praying it has nothing to do with anything neurological.  Waiting to get those results from the CAT scan will seem like an eternity.  I wish I had gone to medical school : (
lcoh
Hi Icoh, My son (almost 7yo) has not had any night time vomiting since June this year - yippee.  Looking at the similarities of all these posts it looks like there are possible links with 1) reflux as a baby and 2) intolerances say with wheat or dairy.  I can't rule out either one with Tim, or it may be a combination.  I have wondered if the problem is worse when he goes to bed soon after dinner. I am sure at times even during the day he has suffered from reflux on occasion. Have you had any luck?

To: ciara1234
I don’t understand the American health system, but could it be worth while emailing/contacting medical centres and universities with Gastroenterology Departments, or Gastroenterology research around the world?  If you get one person interested in responding it may be of help.

To: Worriedmomof4girls
Sounds viral as it would be very coincidental for all 4 girls of different ages to sick one after another otherwise. Have your girls improved?
my daughter is 16 months old and for the last month she has vomited about 6 times but only at night.  The first time I thought it was because she was crying in her crib (we were trying a little tough love and not letting her get out just comfort her).  Anyway the next time was Thanksgiving night so I thought she ate to much.  Now I am wondering is it something more.  She used to have reflux as a newborn but outgrew it.  She sleeps with her mattress crib raised and doesn't have any milk past 8 (she goes to bed at 9).  When she does get sick it is only once and then she is fine.  The one time she fell asleep while my husband was rocking her and then woke up and vomited in his arms.  Any ideas???  Should I be concerned???  

Thanks!!!!
My daughter is experiencing this night vomiting too.  Fine during the day (but decreased appetite) and then up at night.  I am thinking it is environmental.  The last time she had unexplained vomiting it was when my sister moved in an brought her cat.  Also, her sister who sleeps in the same room, is perfectly fine. So now to restart her on her Allegra and give her room another good cleaning.  Also on hold for the doctor now, so will let everyone know if they come up with anything good.  Unfortunately, I'm a stomach flu expert, also had kidney and bladder infections, so I know it isn't those things.
My 3 1/2 y/o son is having many of the same symptoms as many of you have described.  After reading many of your blogs, it has helped me to notice more of the details that I may have been overlooking.  My son has sever allergies and I am beginning a three-year treatment process to treat his allergies and improve his immune system to fight these allergies.  His vomitting did not start at a time when his allergies were acting up and he had drainage, so I have to rule out drainage in his stomach - altough I have experienced that before too with him.  Over the past two months, he has complained of several headaches and had many flu like syptoms.  He complained of headaches when he didn't have other flu like symptoms too.  Then on Christmas day he ran a 102 fever for about 36 to 48 hours.  During the night of the 29th, he vomitted.  He did awake and we got him cleaned up and he then vomitted two more times.  This has happened for three nights in a row, didn't happen for one night, and then happened again last night.  Except last night he did not awake while he vomitted and slept in it for quite some time before he awoke.  I am not totally convinced that the fever and vomitting were related.  I have also noticed that he has been snoring.  I am extremely apprehensive about taking him to his pediatrician because I don't want to "try out medications" - I want testing and I want answers.  
I've read through everyone's notes and have concerns of a different nature.  My 17-month old threw up in her sleep 3 nights ago the same night my husband came home with a nasty stomach flu.  We attributed it to the flu.  Then she was fine the next day, insatiable almost, and boom, at night, around 9pm, threw up again, and again after we changed her.  Ditto yesterday and today.  She seems to have no loss of appetite whatsoever, and we've been trying to reduce her intake in case her stomach is just getting too full.

Then we realized she had been on Amoxicillin (sp?) for an ear infection, and her dosage ended the day before she started vomitting.  She's also had watery stools, 3 times today....we think she may just need to replenish her stomach and intestinal flora and started her on live-culture yoghurt with every meal.  She's going to her GP tomorrow all the same, but I thought I'd share  in case any one else is in a similar situation.  

It still could all be the flu as DH is still experiencing the bowel side of things.
I'm really concerned for all of our children.. I know that some of the comments were made a year ago but my child has many of these same symptoms... My 2 year old daughter was born preemie and weighed just one little pound at birth.. she was diagnosed with asthma, allergies and acid reflux.. besides that a seemingly normal child.. now for the past week she has been vomitting, sporatic diarrhea and now fevers of over 101.. the docs suggest the brat diet and lots of gatorade.. i've tried this and nothing yet.. I'm concerned it could be something else.. don't know what else to do.. she asks me for food but yet the docs say no normal eating just like toast and things.. but she wants cereal, chicken and the works.. I don't want to tell her no but I also don't want her to keep getting sick.. now she is becoming somewhat lethargic.. not all the way knocked down but still not as active as usual and falls asleep very easily now.. ugh.. i'm really nervous.. any advice is greatly appreciated..
My 21 months old daughter has been throwing mostly at night for the past three days.  The doctor told us that they have had a lot of kids come in with the same symptom.  They think that there is some kind of virus going around.  The doctor recommended that I feed my daughter very little at a time and dont feed anything right before she goes to bed which seems to be working.  But my dd is very tired all the time and has been sleeping a lot during the day time.

One thing I have figured out is the reason they cough (sounds more like fake cough) right before vomitting is because they are feeling nauseated but confuse it with cough.  I always keep a bowl ready when this happens.  Hope this helps and also hope that all our kids beat this bug and start feeling better soon.
OK Im reading all of these and now I'm even more concerned. My 21 month old has had "the stomach flu" only at night or first thing in the morning 18+ times in the past 6 months. They keep saying they cant do anything.  She is highly allergic to milk and soy so she is on Elecare formula still so she can get the nutrition shes missing from the milk. The days shes not throwing up she has diarrehea. All the docs tell me is to make sure she doesnt get dehydrated which shes not. We can tell the days shes going to be sick because she doesnt usually take but a 30 minute nap after being forced into it but on those days she will lay down on her own and sleep for hours.  I'm really worried.
Same issue here with 13 month old. Doctor keeps telling me it is teething, but now after 2+ weeks of this I am starting to doubt it. I wonder where the most recent posts are from (I am in IL) because maybe it is a virus? Daughter fine during the day, but at night when I nurse her she will cough and then up it comes! She also has a runny nose which the doc says is draining into her tummy causing the vomiting. I believed him, but it has just been too long. She does have occasional loose stools as well. She has never had reflux,dairy products, or antibiotics and i am still nursing her.
my 3 1/2 year old daughter has been vomiting in the middle of the night or in the morninigs about once a week for 2 months now. The doctor thinks its reflux she had it as a baby then out grew it. she doesnt drink milk she has had no colds or illnesses, no fevers no strep, nothing. she has been complaining of leg pain a couple of times. I beleive she had a stomach flu when it started but that was 2 months ago and we have not caught it. Im very scared she is going to see the doctor again tomarrow. We also had a new baby about 2 weeks before all this started.
My 2 year old daughter eats very little (and I mean seriously very little) and for 3 nights in a row after putting her to bed...about half an hour later she is being sick and bringing what she has eaten back up all in her cot...then we had a break from it for 2 nights but it has started again tonight..we put her up to bed and about an hour or so later she has been sick again everywhere.She also has no temperature..we have all had a bit of a tummy bug recently but we havn't been being sick...just runny pooh's.She also does not have a temerature and seems well through out the day (touch wood).she used to love yogurts but now doesn't even want to eat those even.I worry ALL the time about my girls and I'm seriously thinking this could be something really wrong like cancer or a tumour in her tummy....making it so that she does'nt want to eat and then being sick in her cot..I don't no what to do...she has a bit of a mucousy cough and at first thought the sickness was down to her coughing but that does't explain the 2 nights break we had from the sickness only for it to start again tonight.I am so worried..my fiance's niece (non relation to him by blood due to him being fostered) died of a massive tumour and I would'nt be able to live without her...I'm constantly thinking the worse...please help...any advice is very welcome.if you can put my mind at rest then please try.Thank you.Jade.
My step daughter is 2years of age and is waking up at night vomitting, but is very fine during the day she tries to eat but throws it all back up if any suggestion on what to give her please let me know.Thank You.
My 2 1/2yr old son started vomiting on Jan 18th of this yr..Today is Feb 3rd..The first night he threw up 19 times! I called thr doc, she said it was just a virus going around to just "wait it out" Well the next day my 4yr old threw up like 5 times & the next day he was fine..My hubby started & was sick for one day & then fine..I even had a touch of it but was fine the next day..All the while my 2 1/2yr old is still throwing up & having diarrhea..He went a week without throwing up but still had the diarrhea. We rushed him to the er last thursday night bc he was throwing up & diarrhea & they looked & smelled the same..They did an xray to check for a blockage & thank god he was ok. So they said hes fine after a few hrs, gave him some zofran & sent us home..Well for the past 2 days hes been to the dr. After Friday morning he didnt throw up anymore just had the diarrhea..Until last night that is! He only threw up once but still he threw up! His dr said hes had diarrhea for this long due to "toddlers diarrhea"..Why is he throwing up though?! Im getting VERY concerned..I need answers! Just as all of you do as well..Like most all of your children he is fine & dandy during the day! (Besides the diarrhea that is) His dr gave him something to harden his poop yesterday but it doesnt seem to be working as of now..Im gonna give it a few more days & see if it starts to help though. I should also mention we had to give the dr a stool sample to test for parasites & they all came back negative! Im so confused & scared right now..I need help! I need answers! If anyone happens to read this & may know the cause PLEASE email me @ ***@**** hope all our children get better & we all get answers..Sorry i wrote a book too btw..Thanks guys!
So I have read through most of these posts dating as far back as four years ago and as recent as yesterday... The things I have noticed are that the symptoms everyone seems to be having are the same yet no one has written back after their episode is over (hopefully) with clues to what it was and what to do.  The other thing I noticed is that the people who visited the er were given Zofran and not one of them said anything about it working..?!  

I have been reading all of them trying to figure out just what to do myself as my 4 yr old and 1 yr old both are fine during the day (plenty of energy and good moods) yet about 3am every night for the past few nights our 1 yr old starts puking insane amounts.  By the time she is cleaned up and were all trying to go back to sleep our 4 yr old jumps in on the puke marathon.  They both usually throw up, rest, and then do it all over again.  The morning comes all to quickly followed by hours of cleaning up numerous diaper loads of liquid poo.  The smell is unlike anything I have ever been around.  You'd think they were being fed a diet of roadkill or something.  I feel so bad for them and all of yours that are going through the same.. Anyway, this HAS to end and I'd like to help that along (the 3 to 4a.m. baths and the crusty laundry pile is wearing us down.)  So..

Can someone who has made it through this hell post another reply and give those of us who are dealing now some insight as to what to do.. i.e. diet, herbs, medicines??  the waiting game?  After all that is what the forums are for right?  Questions and... possibly ANSWERS?  
thanks and  h e l p!

..and I promise that if I find anything that helps I will write back.. especially for my poor compadres who are puke rinsing at 3 a.m. this past few weeks.. good luck and please let me know if you find out something first.
So we talked to the doctor today who told us NOT to come in for it, it is a bug and will subside after awhile..  2 weeks is how long he said it may take.  2 weeks?!  Which frankly ***** if you are waking up in the middle of the night to your poor puking kid (or kidS in our case.) Every night.  

The doctor also said to feed them the b.r.a.t. diet that was talked about earlier in this forum.   i.e. Bananas. Rice. Applesauce. Toast.  Were doing pedialite as well.
He also said that diarrhea is the body's way of flushing out toxins and to NOT give them an anti-diarrhea medicine (which we were doing.)  Supposedly doing these few things will help, yet its going to be our kids' immune system that does the job overall.  Kind of a bleak response for me, but were down for trying anything at this point.

I'll write more if I learn more..

p.s. In the case of our children I can tell you it is definitely not a gluten or dairy allergy causing this.  Our 4 yr old is autistic and is on a very strict gluten and cassien (anything dairy) free diet.  Our daughter is not and this has affected them both exactly the same.  Hope any of this helps..    j

My son is 2 (today is actually is birthday, poor boy), and he has been throwing up every night since Wednesday night, and tonight is Friday night.  The first night was the worst, he started vomiting at midnight, and threw up every 20-30 minutes, until about 6:30 am.  Neither of us got any sleep whatsoever.  That morning the daycare called and said that five kids were out with the stomach flu and it lasts about 5 hours, which made since because after a little over 6 hours he stopped vomiting.  He slept for 5 hours yesterday, and didn't throw up again all day.  Then at bed time, sure enough he started throwing up again, about the same every half hour for about 2 hours.  He slept great after that and today was fine and took 2 naps and didn't throw up at all.  I didn't give him any thing today other than soup crackers and toast, he didn't even get any birthday cake!  It's a good thing because now it is night again and he has once again been throwing up.  It doesn't seem to phase him, I think it is harder on us than it is on him!  
I am absolutely puzzled as to why this is only occuring at night.  At first I thought it was because of laying down, but that can't be why because he takes his naps just fine.  I am going to take him to the Dr tomorrow, but I just wish I knew why my poor baby (and I) can't get a good night's sleep.
Our daughter is 20 months and she has been throwing up for the past four nights at about the same time each night. She is fine during the day and take her nape fine. But at night she blows once big time. She did have a fever a week ago. Our other kids were sick too, but they have not thrown up every night. Strange bug going around.
I also am going through what all of you are. My son is about to turn 4 and he is going on 4 weeks of vomitting in the middle of the night. He will start violently coughing and then vomitting. He also has really watery stools. We just took him to the pediatrician on Thursday and they did blood work and a stool sample. So hopefully something will be answered. I have been really worried and thinking it could possibly be the worst case scenario which I guess as a mom you do. My son is also on Lactaid milk not regular. Because the diarrea started first so we thought it was a lactose intolerance problem. I will post some mroe info when I get the results. Like many other moms said the next step if all the tests come back negative is to see a GI specialist. So hopefully it all works out for all of us.
Tomorrow will be two weeks of early morning puking.  Our little guys have only been eating the b.r.a.t. diet and drinking pedialite since my last post and well, nothing has really changed other than our son now pukes in the day now too..  I still have found nothing explaining just what is going on, or a remedy.  The only thing i have heard is that this is a bug.  Pretty serious bug as I see some of your kids have been suffering through this for a month!?!       ..waiting for any answers
So our kids have gone two days without throwing up .. finally.  We took them in a few days ago even though they said there was nothing they could do and it was "just a bug going around."  We did get a better explanation though.  Our pediatrician said that this is a virus called the "rota" virus.  Both of our kids were very dehydrated even though we had been giving them pedialite throughout.  The amount of throw up and diarrhea was insane and just kept dehydrating them.  We were told to give our four year old (who is 33 lbs) a cup of pedialite every time he had diarrhea.  For our one year old (22 lbs) we were told a half a cup.  They also said that because they had such severe diarrhea and vomiting to not give them solid foods.  Supposedly when they had solid foods their bodies could not handle it and they would have diahhrea causing them to get absolutely no calories out of their food.  So we had to wean them back to solid foods.  First they said to mix one quarter of whatever milk or formula you give your kids with 3/4 pedialite.  This would help them gain the calories back and get them back to a less lethargic state.  After a day or so you give them full on milk, gradually introducing solids.  We were not given any medication or anything else to give them, just advice and a pee test to tell how dehydrated they were.  Our four year old was very dehydrated, yet within a day he was back to normal following this pedialite/milk mix.  

The only annoying thing they said was that our daughter got this because she did not have all of her immunization shots.  However our son (who was just as sick, if not more DID have his.)  
  Our son was a normal little baby interacting with his parents up until he was eight months and had another round of immunizations.  After that he turned into the glossy eyed, flappy armed kid we had for a while.  Think what you may, they are trying to convince everyone that there is no link between autism and immunization shots but this was our experience and I believe they are liars.  On a good note, through a drastic diet change, probiotics and a lot of sleepless nights, we got our bright eyed, (and now communicating very well) interacting son back.  Sorry to go off the subject, but this is still an open wound.

I hope something out of my annoyingly long posts helps someone out there.  Good luck and I hope the best for all of you and your little ones, j.

p.s. the doc did say that the diarrhea may persist for up to 4 weeks!?!?  However, our daughter had a very stinky solid **** yesterday.. Hooorah!  :)
The first thing I will say is that knowledge is power. Please trust your instincts and insist that your pediatrician does thorough checkups. This is my story of my 31 month old girl...

Laylah was born at 32 weeks prem and recently, just about 6 months after she turned two, she started vomitting at night - and i mean a LOT! It was projectile, mostly fluids and I estimated about a litre to a litre and a half (I live in South Africa). So off we go to the pediatrician who diagnosed tonsilitis and prescribed antibiotics. About a week later, the vomitting persisted - only at night, as during the day she was fine, running around and acting as if nothing was wrong (she did look pale, though).
I took her back to the pediatrician and she diagnosed with a blockage in the intestine, because I told her Laylah's vomit really smells bad (like rotten food) and she informed me that the intestine was pushing the stuff back into her tummy because of the blockage. Ok, so she was admitted and given 3 litres of Kleen Prep (stuff to really empty the bowels). it worked and we went home. I was so happy to feed my child again...but NO...the vomitting persisted... this time the food she vomitted was 2 days old (I realized this because I fed her carrots the Monday and she threw it up the Wednessday). We went back to the pediatrician again - I was getting endlessly frustrated because at any given day all her bedding was hanging on the washing-line!!! A few days after the Kleen Prep, the doctor did a barium test and they discovered her stomach was not letting food out into the intestine. they did an ultrasound to confirm and diagnosed pyloric stenosis (the bottom stomach valve blocking food from entering the intestines). she needed surgery and we were off to hospital (4th time in 2 weeks) again. The surgeon informed us during the op that she had the problem inside her stomach and he thus cut into her stomach to repair the thickening of the lining. I still don't exactly know what caused it or why it happened, but here I am at home with my little one, right as rain once more after such a major surgery. they expect her to make a full recovery and I never thought I'd be so happy to see her sleep without vomitting and giving me a nice smelly potty to clean!! We went from tonsilitis to an operation which was totally unexpected.

Good luck to all the worrying mommies - I think it's in our nature to know when to keep searching for answers. I hope my story helped someone at least eliminate this as a cause...
My daughter did this as well and was finally diagnosed with asthma everytime she would lay down and fall asleep her airway would start to close up and she would vomit. She had this until we took her to a pediatrician who specialized in respiratory problems. Since receiving treatment she has not had one episode. Her episodes before were always worse with any cold or flu bug, always at night or during an afternoon nap she did it so often she got so she didn't wake up and we were terrified she choke on in. But she is doing Wonderful Now we couldn't be happier
My 2 1/2 year old daughter has been doing the same thing for about 2 months.  At random, she just ends up vomitting, usually right before bedtime and sometimes into the night.  By morning, she is acting normal.  4-5 days later... it's back again.  I've taken her to the doctor 3 times.  The first 2 times, her doctor told me it was just a viral thing.  By the third office visit, her stool changed to a loose pale yellow and had an extremely foul odor, plus she still had the vomitting and now not eating. The doctor finally decided to run further testing- blood and stool.  She thinks it could be a parasite.  We will not know for a few days.  If your child is having similar issues, don't give up.  Keep taking them back to the doctor.  Eventually they will listen.  The worst feeling is not knowing how to help your child feel better.
My daughter did the same thing when she was 9 months old (last spring) then it started again early this spring. My peditrition said it's allergies/drainage. She now takes zyrtec at night before bed and we haven't had an episode since (except when pollen is bad and she doesn't take her zyrtec!!)
THE NIGHT TIME VOMITING MAY BE SEIZURES. IF THAT IS THE ONLY SYMPTOM, NIGHT GAGGING AND VOMITTING, IT MAY BE SEIZURES.
My two year old son was just diagnosed with Ketotic Hypoglycemia.  He frequently vomits because of it.  At first I thought he just a weak stomach, or even caught the stomach flu a lot--but nobody else was getting sick.  We finally ended up in the ER because of dehydration, and they did some blood work.  His blood sugar was low, and his ketones were high.  

The puking would come during periods of fasting (such as during illness) or even after a day of not taking in enough calories.  I would suggest that you ask for a referral to an Endocrinologist if you are continuing to see symptoms w/o a diagnosis.
my 2 year old daughter has been volmiting in the evening b\w 7-9pm. She volmits alot and it is usually the food she has eaten from the day. She feels good before and after the volmiting. She acts perfectly normal during the day....Please send any information
I have been researching this for some time being that my 2 year old son vomits quite frequently (nights, sometimes during the day).  Here are some fruits of my labor..

-Vomiting in toddlers is quite common, this is generally exacerbated by oily or fatty foods that are harder to digest.  Many of the foods adults eat don't cause them to vomit because their stomach has built more of a tolerance and is obviosly stronger.

(My child vomits much less if I feed him foods that are lower in sugars, oils and fats.  I also feed him foods that are easier to digest)

-Childhood asthma is a major contributor to vomiting, if the child coughs at night or after extrenous play, this can cause vomiting.  Allergies can have the same effect.

(My son doesn't use an inhaler, but he does have a nebulizer with albuterol (use as needed for dosage) which helps alot.  Also, dry air can give him dry coughs which may cause vomiting, so a humidifier in his room helps.)

-Nasal drainage/mouth gunk can lead to coughing which leads to vomiting.

(Try drinking a cup of milk before you go to bed, you will wake up with build-up in our mouth that feels just plain gross, that happens to the child to.. but they are less able to cope with it and vomit due to gagging.. Try giving them juice or water directly before bed)

I hope this helps!  I do much of this with my son and his vomiting has reduced to about once a week or so (down from 3 times a day)..
My son has now vommitted 4 times in the past three weeks.  

For the last three weeks, he has vommitted once a week and then twice this week. I've had him to the ped and the first time we thought it was from the drainage of the congestion into his tummy. The second time, too much yogurt coupled with seasonal allergies. The third time, we are just baffled and tired of guessing. The forth time...just in tears.

I took him Thursday to have blood drawn. They are running 2 Immunocapps...one for environmental and one for food. They are running a complete CBC, a total IgG and one other to see if there is infection anywhere in his body. The food Immunocap was run when he was 9 months and showed no allergies, but we know things change and the blood test ONLY tests for IgE antibodies and not for IgG which is what the body produces when there is a protien intolerance.

My son is very congested, but his ears look great, his throat is perfect (no reddness), the nasal drainage is clear, his lungs sound great. He has no fever through this whole thing. Throat culture is negative.

Per Ped's recommendation, we tried giving him Clariton. Not sure if that caused one of the vommitting episodes although he's had that before without issue. Tried Benadril. May have caused the forth vomitting episode although he's had it before without any issues.

He acts and plays normally for the most part until he will suddenly start to not feel well, want me to hold him and then will vommit. After getting sick, he feels fine again and starts playing like nothing happened.

I swithced him to Lacaid milk to see if that would help since Lactose Intolerance runs in the family. Doesn't seem to make a difference with what is going on with him. Nothing new has been introduced into his diet recently.

He had Milk and Soy Protien Intolerance (milk to age 1 and soy to age 2) and has "outgrown" both.  He had Acid Reflux until age 1 1/2 and took Zantac until then.  We kept him on Elecare until age 1.  He passed on the Milk trial and failed Soy.  Switched him to Whole Milk and tried Soy products again at age 2.  He passed the Soy trials now too.  He is now 27 months old and a very picky eater with texture aversions.

He is now sleeping fine at night except for the other night when he got sick at 3 AM. His vommitting seems to happen late at night (before bedtime).

I'm at a loss and really worried. It will take 3 - 7 business days to get the blood work results and they can't come soon enough. I'll repost when we get results and hopefully this will help some other mom's out there too.

Please write me with any advise on this.
i have a 2 1/2 year old bot   he started all of a sudden throwing up just at nights  and early mornings we took him to the dr  and they said  stomache flu  didnt give us any thing for it   just said  pedialite  and crackers   it continuied for about 3 more days then stopped  no throwing up for almost a week  then last night he got sick in the middle of the night ..... along with this  he has had  the runs   ...  we are taking him to the hospital this morning  the dr told us that my sone head size is in the 50 percentile of his body weight   they want to do a c.t scan of his head  .....  not sure what to do .  

confused in kansas city
hi all i have a almost 3 year old who vomits almost every night and has done since a baby... I have heard everything from its a cold to asthma (for which she was put on ventalin) to allergies,to reflux to GERD, and i am still doing tests on my daughter. i have recently changed paediatricians and he has ordered every test possible to see if he can find what is going on, it has cost a fortune for different meds and she has had a barium meal done which they said was fine, and she is now booked in to see a gastroenterologist for a scope to check if she has done any damage to her little body.. She has not put on weight in over a year, although she does not lose weight she does not put it on.. she is still in a size 0-1 and she turns 3 in dec... she has a twin who is perfectly fine, and she has older twin sisters who one is fine and the other showed same thing but it only lasted till she was 2 and no answers were given... I hope everyone finds answers for their child as i have been trying to do this for almost 2 1/2 years..
mumof2xtwins
My daugther is almost 2 and she has Been vomiting for the past 4 night. I had call the dr the first two night and they told me that she probably have a stomach bug n they told me to watch her over the weekend and see how she does and is all the same she is grate during the day playing jumping eating and ones she goes to bed at night she wakes up vomiting. I don't know what to think or do anymore my husband and I are very worry. We are taking her to her dr tomorrow I hope they check her and tell us why this is happening to her. And I hope that all of you find an answer as well good luck to everyone. God bless you all and your little ones.
I have a 3 year old girl who since she is born throws up in her sleep once a month. Been to lots of Drs and been told everything from allergies to asthma. She always has a cold at the time and a bad cough which proceeds the vomiting. It's like a chronic sinisitus. She's sick more than she's well. She weighs only 27 pounds and she a happy kid that goes to school etc, but is always under the weather. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
My son (20 months) just started to do this last night. He laid down, was fine for a few hours then woke up vomiting. We cleaned him up, and his bedding, calmed him down, he seemed just happy and fine. Laid him back down with clean bedding. A couple hours later, same thing. I think about the third time i just kept him in my arms. He fell asleep and slumped over, so I adjusted him to be more comfortable. A short while after he was actually laying down on my lap, he vomits again. He is perfectly fine during the day, this never happened before, he isn't on any medications, he hasn't been otherwise sick recently, he does have daycare on tues. and thurs. nights, this started friday night. He just threw up again, and once again got him all cleaned up but his bedding is all in the wash so he's on my lap right now, being cheery and playful as ever. I'm gonna have him sleep out here with me while I'm on the computer -- he took his nap that way and was just fine.  No recent new foods, no known allergies.

My husband called his uncle, who said there's been a bunch of kids coming in to the hospital he works at recently with similar symptoms.  His advice was to keep him hydrated and electrolyted and as long as he didn't seem lethargic or have sinus problems (told us if we touch his face and it hurts him that's a sign) he should be fine and not have to go to the hospital. We live in the 'Twin Cities' of Minnesota, if that helps at all.

Hope some more parents come back and give updates on how things went/are still going!
- we have a 33 month old boy; he has been coughing for the past 7-10 days; he goes to daycare and we intially suspected the usual seasonal things going around; he has no fever, no diarrehea, no known allergies, smokefree house, no other irritations, nothing else;  
- the cough occurs randomly through the day but gets really bad in the night/evening/bedtime; these coughing bouts are for 10-15 minutes and the poor kids' face would become red and he would say his tummy hurts; when he coughs, the mucus would come up into his mouth and since he is so young, he would eat it right back; we are trying to teach him to spit it - he has not got that part right
- anyhow, Monday (3 days ago) we were called by the daycare that the kid is throwing up after eating and is keeping nothing inside; we got him home and even then whenever he was fed, he would throw up (not the projectile kind) within 5-15 mins of eating;
- that's when we took him to the ER (Monday night), they X-rayed him, took blood samples etc but found NOTHING; put him on IV and transferred him to a children's hospital for observation;
- stayed in the hospital for 1.5 days (till wednesday afternoon), they check up his lungs and say they sound great; his upper respiratory tract is congested and all his vitals were perfect; while he had very little to eat and threw up a couple times after eating in the hospital, rest of the time he was just fine; the hospital believes it is a viral and that it will go away in 7-14 days; they give us no medicines and ask us to continue with our normal lifestyle;
- we got him home and first time we feed him (a wheat tortilla and potatoes), he threw up; feed him 2% milk and he throws up; he asks for a muffin and eats half of it and keeps it inside; later in the evening, we also give him half banana and pedialite and he sleeps through the night ok;
- this morning (Thursday morning) he eats half banana and is fine; an hour later he asks for bread and throws up after coughing a little; he is just fine before and after throwing up - it is as if nothing happened; and has just come back from a 1 hour play session in a park and ate a half apple there and is now peacefully sleeping for almost an hour now;
- given he has these coughing spells and is vomitting 2-3 times, does anyone have suggestion/personal experience to share?
- does anyone know what foods to definitely avoid? and how long shld we expect this to continue?
today is thanksgiving, his ped is closed for the weekend and i am not sure if we need to take him back to ER; we live in Austin,TX if that hepd
My 5 year old grandson has been going through this off and on for a year - every few months he will throw up at night for no reason.  Recenlty it has become more often.

He saw a GI specialist today and she said because he is throwing up at night there is definetly a problem - she has scheduled more tests.

You need to not ignore this - push it with your Drs.
I am relieved to see i am NOT the only one going through this... My son is showing ALL the same symptoms.. However, I have a GREAT personal relationship with our pediatrician...
First thing i told her is The Vomiting of chunks at around the same time every morning.. and how it smelled of Heartburn.
My Doctor said i was Right in calling her first... CALMLY explaining the issue... FULLY!... including his meals, and all the Stuff i had tried before hand... including the brat diet... and how with his Teething, he normally Doesn't vomit...
she said teething would produce Random vomiting... and to try Tums, first... then digestive enzymes... THEN the expensive stuffs.

My doctor really does not believe in radiating a child unless it's absolutly nessisary...

also, for those with kids taking antibiotics... VOMITING IS NORMAL! it produces nausia in alot of patients.. ( i get it all the time hence why i avoid antibiotics like the plague)

I know it's Frustrating... My husband an i have to do 2 loads of laundry a day right now... for all the bed clothes and Jammies all three of us go through... ( my son... and whoever is on running baby to the toliet duty... ) and we live in an apartment. so at 2 dollars to wash and dry one load... you can imagine...

my mother said i had something similar, and she cured it with milk of magnizia and other stuff of that nature...

but before you start giving your kids these... check with the doctor ... to make sure they think it's ok... my doctor said tums was fine for my son... just 1/2 a tablet...
my update...

Pepto seems to be doing the trick... so all you parents... might want to try it
i have a three year old little girl. she has been vomiting at night since she was a newborn. when she vomits it's clear that her food is undigested. she will throw up for about 15-20 then go back to sleep. while she is throwing up she is gaging on the vomit because it's so thick with undigested food. she has seen her dr, and plenty of er drs. she has been diganose with allergies, lactose intolerante, viraul/bacterial/sinus  infections, gerd, etc. and this problem still occurs.....it doesn't occur as much as some of the kids i have read about, but it happens enough and it's ALWAYS at 0500. i'm bringing her the drs yet again today! if i find out anything different i will post....;.best of luck everyone
My eyes fill with water to read and hear about what you're all going thru. My son is 14 months old and he too is going thru the samething.  It started on Tuesday December 15th with a runny diaper. Then Vomitting at the sametime every morning, changing dirty diapers more than before. The part that hurts me the most is seeing him point out to all the foods that he wants to have but, when I put him in his highchair to eat, he just crys and pushes it away. He clings on to me alot and his naps are longer. I force him to drink alot and try him to eat (pedialite, diluted gatorade, apple juice/sauce, toast, mashed potaoes with out milk but NO dairy products).  Even though he is playfuI and looks fine... I can't stand to see him suffer inside. I pray and hope that there is a cure for this... whatever it is. He is my LIFE.
My son is 23 months old. His started out with a sick foul-smelling diaper but he did not vomit that night. Tuesday he was in daycare and only had a sip or two of milk and up it came within 1 hour. He vomited 3 times that first day. I picked him up and brought him home and he played and seemed fine. That night we fed him a normal meal thinking that maybe it was just an upset belly that morning. He ate green beans, chicken breast and some fried potatoes at 6pm. At midnight he vomited all his food up. We called the doctor and was told to give caro syrup right away, then again in 15 minutes. We had to feed him nothing for an hour then 2 tsp of pedialyte every 15 minutes. By the 2nd hour if he kept all that down we were told to double the amount of pedialyte The third hour double it again to 6 tsps every 15 minutes.  After that if he kept it down, we could start doing BRAT (bananas,rice,applesauce, toast) only 1 tablespoon of food every half hour to a hour. This seemed to work and no vomiting! The next day was Christmas, he didn't eat much but had a lot of goodies due to the grandmas in the house! No vomiting that night either. The next day he ate eggs, toast, & a little milk. at supper he only ate some mashed potatoes and a piece or two of chicken breast, and a couple green beans. He drank some milk (maybe an ounce) and later had some pieces of chocolate cake...and fruit snacks. He was fine until MIDNIGHT when he woke up crying and then coughed a few times and then vomited all over dad. He has no fever-I have been told the stomach flu but like every one else it seems that it is only at night when he vomits...that doesn't make sense to me.
I'm getting him into the doctor and making them do everything to figure this out. I don't want this to last any longer!  
We had the SAME thing happen to our 3 yr old daughter as MANY of you (persistent night vomiting), with NO answers.  One thing we found to be consistent throughout this time was that she would tell us, after throwing up, that she swallowed a tiny bit of toothpaste.  After seeing this pattern on a regular basis, I decided to look in to the possibility of the culprit being her toothpaste.  I found the following article http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/accidents/toothpaste-illness.html
We decided to pull the fluoride toothpaste, and switched to Tom's fluoride free toothpaste.  ...Much to our surprise, the evening episodes of throwing up stopped.  It's been months now since anything has happened, and this is comparison to 3-4 times a week with her getting sick at night.  Since then, I have started to look further in to fluoride and it's dangers. It is horrifying to say the least.  Please, do your own research on the topic...you will be happy you did.  Be advised though, that you will more than likely not have the support from your dentist if you go fluoride free.  This is because Dentist's are taught that fluoride is a good thing when they go to school.  It wouldn't be and won't be the first time a Doctor was deceived in school, so don't be afraid to form your own opinions and research, research, research!  ...Your family is precious and SO worth it!
I have twin boys, aged 2, who are constantly vomiting during the night. This started towards the end of December. They are perfectly fine during the day. At first I thought its flu, sinuses or may be stomach bug. I am just relieved when I read the same symptoms from other parents’ postings, though I haven’t got the answer. I know there has to be some answeres for the causal of this vomiting at night. I hope and pray that all our children with the same symptoms will be fine. Thanks for your postings.  
Very few actual remedies here, so I have tried to make some sense:

a) It seems that loads of 2-4 year olds have a period of vomiting at night only, while seeming perfectly normal during the day.

b) It seems that there are as many possible causes as there are causes for a sheep to limp... i.e. hundreds. Some of them are:
   i) Pushing late molars causing excess saliva which causes choking when horizontal at night.
   ii) Respiratory infection causing constriction of airway and or mucous build up when throat muscles relax at night, causing coughing and gagging. Or snot draining into stomach. Milk at night might make this worse, and also drying central heating.
   iii) Reflux due to either incompetent cardiac sphincter or simply a very full stomach, causing choking and gagging. For what it is worth, i think that so many babies have suffered reflux at some time that it is no surprise that so many people on this list say that their vomiting child was a previous reflux sufferer... we all were.
   iv) "Gastro" (as we call a variety of stomach bugs here in France) of some kind. Somehow the quiet hours of the night seem to encourage vomiting in a child that was happily distracted during the day.
   v) food allergy, esp wheat (dinner) or milk ('settling' bed-time feed).
   vi) various more serious though rarer conditions such as epilepsy etc.

c) It is next to impossible to explain fully enough the exact symptoms, or to present health workers with an actual vomiting infant, so health workers are not possibly best place to put the correct diagnosis with the correct child.

d) The only way to get to the bottom of the problem will be to assume it is something boring and minor to start with (i.e. at the top of the list) and systematically work your way through some precautions, turning to the healthcare system when more detailed diagnostics are needed, and at a point when we can rule out the more simple explanations (e.g. if it has been going on for weeks it isn't a throat infection or gastro, is there a discrete bout a certain number of hours after going to sleep or does it go on all night...)

Of course, i am writing this because i have been up every night recently with my own 2 year old. Tonight, the bed-head is propped to allow fluid to drain better (he has been a bit snotty recently), he had a good poo before bed (to allow his dinner to go down) and his night-time bottle was soya milk and not cows milk (which can encourage mucous). So far so good... 5hrs and counting. It seems that i am dealing with a mild throat infection, possible with molars too (he didn't want his "big teeth" brushed today). Fingers crossed. Strange that previous infections have not shown like this, but i am not going to argue with a proper night's sleep.
my son is 3 yrs old , and he just vomit out of nowhere today, its almost like mucus, and it wont stop. hes like making  a gurrgling sound in his sleep, but wont wake to vomit? what should i do? im def. taking him to the er first thing in the morning?
My son turned 2 this month.  Five days ago, he too began diplaying the symptoms so many of you have mentioned:  refusing his bottle, throwing up ONLY in the middle of the night, loose yellow b.mvt (though these have slowed down as food intake has decreased) but an otherwise fine disposition during the day.  The doc. said to watch for fever and dehydration - neither of which have surfaced.  He is eating the usuals (crackers, water, bananas, etc.).  He asks for other food, I give it to him just to "test" and he takes a bit then refuses.  This is very upsetting.  If it were molars (as someone mentioned), wouldn't he be cranky and uncomfortable during the day?  How would I know if it is a sinus issue (as someone else mentioned)?  HELP!
My sons who is now 2 was diagnosed with GERD a few months ago. He was doing EXACTLY what all of you say your kids are doing. It was to the point that he had sores in his throat and on his tongue because of puking so much. I had taken him to the doctor and ER several times with nothing to show for it but "he has a stomach virus". I had had enough this last time and refused to leave the office unless his pediatrician did a work up on him. She did and when the results came back, sure enough, I wasn't crazy! It was GERD. Its treatable and he is doing well! He hasn't thrown up at all in 3 weeks! Hope this helps. You just have to be persistant with doctors sometimes. I don't think they really get it. LOL
As a further to my post on January 20, 2010 - thankfully my son stopped vomiting at night (for clarity it was only once per night for 4 nights in a row).  I hadn't done much different the night it stopped.  His crib head was elevated, room not too hot, humidifier on, light food (crackers, water, soup), no bottle.  The only diffference was that I gave him some Motrin before bed because a doc. friend suggested it may be molars (even though he wasn't rank during day).  Do I think the Motrin was the solution?  NO,I think perhaps whatever was wrong ran its course. He had plain oatmeal for breakfast this morning and cried for more food, though I am hesitant to give him too much so soon.  He still refused his bottle at naptime (maybe this will save me having to ween him!).

I will continue to keep an eye on him in case I was just lucky last night!
We are dealing with the same thing with our 3 year old. Not sure what is going on yet, after a week. Still trying to figure out if it is a virus or not. However I wanted to point out to everyone that we went through the same thing with our older daughter (6) 3 years ago. After months of diarreah and or severe constipation, testing for parasites, etc. We lost faith in the doctor and looked elsewhere for answers. To make a long story short we put her on a diet called the Specific Carbohydrate diet (google the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gotschall - for chrones, celiac, etc but really can help anyone with digestion problems) because her intestines were so messed up she could not properly digest her food. The doctors never helped us with this. We decided to do our own research and started giving her a probiotic and follow the diet explicitly, which starts out with bland foods such as homemade chicken & broth, cooked carrots, homemade applesauce, etc. Easy on the stomach and gives it time to heal itself. She improved dramatically and we always watch what she eats. Never any junk food, all home cooked whole foods such as butternut squash, veggies and fruit, organic meats with broth.  Our 3 year old however loves to eat typical toddler junk food like goldfish, etc. We realized a lot of people in our family have a history of stomach problems. For example stomach aches after eating peanut butter or certain fruits like bananas, problems with milk, wheat, etc. No severe allergies, just food intolerances. So we think we may have a touch of this with our 3 year old. We feel the best thing we can do is cut out the bad food, no fast food! No prepackaged food, no food with added coloing or lots of sugar. Read labels and know what your child is eating. Even Campbells soup has MSG in it, can you believe that. Good luck to everyone on this mystery journey of figuring out what is going on with our kids' intestines.

I have been watching (and been apart of) this forum for over 2 years.  My son, who is now 8 has not thrown up for over a year in the same manner with no explaination.  I can't say I have done anything different like change foods.  The only thing I expect is that he is older and his body has matured more.
To all those parents out there at their wits end - I can say there is an end to it and much as I don't have any answers, there is light at the end of the tunnel.
My name is Paola Zegarra I'm 21 years old, and I am a mother of a girl 2 year old.

Antonella, my daughter, was born on November 21, 2007 in Piura city. Was normal part, and since the doctor told me she had the cordon around her neck two laps, he use bacum.

Around day number six Antonella began to convulsions. Their seizures were very strange, were not the typical, in fact, not many known.

The pediatrician told me that maybe was a product of their normal movements because of the immature neurological system that maybe the three months were going to yield.

Not according to that answer I went to a neurologist, (unfortunately had to be adult in that city since there is no neurologist pediatrician) to see her, he recommended a magnetic resonance so I had to take her to Lima.
In the twelve day Antonella arrived in Lima.

She was Internees in the clinic since she the doctor said I had to see that internally until they found what was happened to her.

Antonella was interned a month, we send to USA metabolic analysis, analysis of spongiform ence oblongata liquid sent to Chile, and all the analysis possible in Peru. 3 magnetic resonances which have come out normal acourding to her neurologist, but in the infrom, say alot of things but she say (her neurologist) that its nothing.

Antonella did not have anything, it was a normal girl and wondered why the convulsions.

She was going to take a test that was called Expect brain, but the anesthetist ho was uncharged of Antonella almost kill her, she was more than five minutes without oxygen and purple, she choke with anesthesia. The exam was cancel, and after that time Antonella fell again.

the tip of convulsions that she used to do they call them salvos of these salvos could do 70 continue to do so for forty minutes or more

My daughter use to received medication as valproic acid, Phenobarbital, Clonazepan, among others, nothing stops these seizures. it is currently using a new medicine that has controlled (apparently) seizures, I say apparently, because she has had two strong fells which have led her brink of death, while convulsed drowned and could not breathe, no could mourn, or swallow, or defecate, and any little advance that she could have it was lost.

Antonella already has 2 years and still not fixed head, thus not feel, no wheel, no crawls, much less walk. Does not carry the items to his mouth and don’t play whit toys because it can not completely recognize them and grabbed them-
Her brain does not send the order to grab objects
,she learned to smile at the age of five months , and to recognize something and fix the gaze at 7 almost 8 month clear that not even fix well and one eye always tends to go the other way .

Antonella doctors said they were likely to fail a year and that if he did his quality of life was going to end perhaps as a vegetable, now Antonella is 2 years old, and she have to be able of having more! I need to help my kid

Doctors recommended take her abroad to do various studies, either Brazil or USA; unfortunately I can not afford a trip for experiments for saying like that.

I dream of one day find the reason of his illness and that it exceeds a girl who can walk, laugh, talk and be more of a girl running through the parks and playing on the beach

My gold it’s to find Antonella illness

I just want to find a pize of the puzzle so we can’t end this dream, and the day that we will weak up, Antonella will be running and riding her bicycle

please I’m begging you help me to save my daughter I can not see her died
I have all her 3 magnetic resonaces in dvds, if someone knows some neurologist and please tell my case ask him/her, if she/he, can see her dvds, i just want other opinion out of peru, to see if maby they see something in this magnetic resonances that doctors here in peru havent seen, i have more than 2 years living with out any answers, i can send this dvds to any part of the world by courrier, please if someone can hlp me write me to ***@****, i speak spanich and english eaven its not very good,  please tell my story to everyone maby smeone can help me, im desesperate, i dont know what to, do, i fell like im in a hold and i dont know how to get out, i apeciate your help thanks
I have a three year old daughter and when i put her to sleep after a 1/2 hr she starts sweating real bad and her clothes are drenched and then she starts the vomiting, this has been going on for over 1yr to 2 yrs and shes been to dr. and i have not yet gotten a answer from any one...
My 4year old daughter started vomitting at night, randomly. she plays fine during the day time and eats properly. but every night between 2-5am she would wake up, puke a few times then go back to bed as if noting happened. finally she has stopped, but now my son is doing it (he is 2.5years old) and the doctors say there is nothing wrong with them, no sinus infection, no flu, nothingggg. I have been doing studies and concluded that maybe it was an allergy to gluton, or body not being able to break down the fatty content in meat..so i cut those foods out of their diets and it did stop, for a day..... then started again so I am fresh out of solutions or reasons. anyone at all, if you have any ideas PLEASE contact me or post something here. thanks :)
Sharie
Thanks to everyone who has posted here, I feel comforted knowing this is seems to be a common (if still fairly confusing) occurence.  My son is 22 months old and his story could be any of the ones posted here...

Most posters here seem to be posting once, then never following up, which I'm guessing means the problems subsided. (?)  We've got a dr's appointment in the a.m. (and I'll let her make the diagnosis) but I suspect my little guy's got a virus. The CDC estimates that annual flu season in the U.S. runs from November - March.  As a casual note, 78 of the 107 posts to this thread came in those months (50 posts in Jan-Feb alone).

Good luck to everyone in finding their own solution!
My daughter turned 2 a couple of days ago and started throwing up randomly a couple of days beforehand. She had the panvax (swine flu) vacc that day (2nd shot) so we thought it could have been a reaction to that or a rich meal but it has continued once or twice a day since. We have been to the docs and have to submit a urine sample to rule out a UTI. She has no temp, no mucus and seems quite bright during the day though she has seemed a lot flatter tonight - probably over this (as we are!!) poor little thing. Her older brother, 4, has been sleeping during the day for the last couple of days so I think possibly it could be a virus that he is fighting off but that she can't. There seems to be so much of this about - good luck to everyone dealing with it...
My daughter has a lot of the same symptoms as these here, I do a lot of self-diagnosing of my four children but I can't say I've ever seen a board go on for years like this one. I swear that if I get to the bottom of it, I'll come back here and post.
My daughter will be 2 this month. She throws up every other or every third day, once at night around 2 AM, then has one diarrhea the next morning. One thing different though is that my best friends daughter( 6 months older) is experiencing the same thing.
Virus you would think right but they will go for days away from each other and why only once per day for each of them? WEIRD!
I'm going to keep researching and let you all know what I find,
my son is about 20 months old. Hes been throwing up since he was about 9 months old. They did a a G track test on him and the doc said everything was fine. But he keeps on throwing up. Its like he makes himseld throw up. I dont know what else to do. He's trown up today twice. Does anyone know what i can do? Im desperate.
same thing is going arnd with my daughter since the last 3 days. at first she did not eat at all for a couple of days. We took her to a doc and she said it was probably a virus. my kid had a little diarrhea the first day and then she had cold/cough. she wakes up in the middle of the night and just throws up! she had diarrhea again today..i hope this is just a virus and will go away soon!
About 3 weeks ago, my 4 year old son got a virus. After the worst was over, for about a week he would still vomit in the middle of the night. The next day he would be fine. Eat, jump, play everything. Then a few hours after going to bed, he'd throw up once or twice in a row. So on and so on for about a week. We did some research and tried probiotics. Probiotics are good bacteria that help your body digest and fight off bad bacteria. I felt that he may have vomited his natural probiotics when he originally got sick. For the first 3 days, he had a little vomit, but bad diarreah. But since then, his bowels have adapted and he hasn't vomited. A few days later we took another chid to the Dr for an ear infection. We told him what we self diagnosed and he agreed that it was what he would have suggested. These are over the counter. The pharmacists told me that probiotics are basically the new fad right now, but I definitely feel it worked for our son.
Hello all, I can go on and on with different symptoms my 3 children had, but anyways we ended up having to go completely dairy free, and I know flouride makes my kids sick. All 3 of them have reactions to dairy, all three don't react the same either. Also all 3 react to flouride, mostly if it's too much flouride, my youngest gets sick, wants me to hold and nurse her all day, and coughing runny noses, and my oldest ears start to hurt. These are simple ways to "try" and if it doesn't work, you can rule them out. But I will say this, since going both dairy and flouride free, we no longer experience any sickness, only runny noses once in awhile. We all had the flu last fall, and it went by like a breeze. I could not believe it. No more ear infections, sinus infections, bronchitis, indigetion, artheritis, migrains, headaches, fevers, and so on. Depends on which child, but all 3 have been affected differently, not to mention my husband and I. Hope this helps. Might be worth a try.
LISTEN UP!!! For all parents out there who's children are throwing up massive amounts you need to here this.

My son had the same problem and it was horrible. It started in Nov 2008 when he was 7. At first his doctor told me it was just a virus. After a few days it stopped. But then it kept happening again every few weeks. I took him back in because by Feb. 2009 he had lost 6 pounds, and for him that is more than he can afford. I made his pediatrician do tests. Sure enough in the abdominal x-ray they found what they call Chilaiditi's sign. Basically what it is, is that the colon for some reason is loose and can move around. My sons had moved up between his liver and diaphragm. You can hardly find anything about it because they say it usually doesn't cause any symptoms but when it does it's called Chilaiditi's syndrome. But this logic has thrown it off most doctors thought process so it's become a situation where it's only "rare" because it often goes undiagnosed. Having your colon floating around is not a thing you want to ignore. What causes the vomiting was the fact that it was getting twisted every so often and his system was basically getting backed up. If it gets bad enough it can seriously injure your child or even worse kill them. If your child is having these problems PLEASE urge your doctor to do an abdominal x-ray, not a chest x-ray. It's a simple test that can rule out a serious problem. In May 2009 my son had a coloplexy to remedy his Chilaiditi's syndrome since then he has had no vomiting episodes and has gained 10 pounds.
your email does not show in the message. Did your daughter recieve the hepatitis B vaccine at birth? That is common here in the US, but not sure about Peru.  If so, your daughter may have a vaccine injury due to the timeline. A vaccine can cause these exact symptoms. Please google this. Also look into mitochondrial disease, vaccinated or not. I know you said they ran a full metabolic workup, but she may have not had all tests done that are available to look for this.

From an info sheet by Dr. Jon Poling, neurologist and parent of a vaccine injured child who developed mitochondrial disease.

"What testing can be performed to evaluate for mitochondrial disorder in my child?

This is a complex question with a multi-layered approach.  There is, at present, no adequate screening test to “rule-out” or “rule-in” a mitochondrial disease.  This being said, there are a series of relatively non-invasive blood and urine tests that can be performed to select patients who warrant further evaluation by a mitochondrial subspecialist.  Importantly, there is not currently a consensus opinion on what constitutes a thorough ‘mitochondrial evaluation.’

Fasting Blood (>4hrs, usually overnight)-  Complete Blood Count, Comprehensive Metabolic Panel, Creatine Kinase, Vitamin B12, methylmalonic acid, leukocyte CoQ10, acylcarnitine profile, ammonia, lactic acid, pyruvic acid, plasma amino acids
(**note that lactic acid, pyruvic acid, and ammonia are particularly prone to sample handling/acquisition errors)

Urine (taken as first morning after above brief fast)-  urinalysis with pH, organic acids, amino acids, acylcarnitine profile

Red Flags commonly encountered suggesting further analysis required—increased lactate, increased lactate/pyruvate ratio, decreased serum bicarbonate, increased CK or AST suggesting mild metabolic muscle disorder, decreased carnitine, short chain dicarboxylic fatty acids seen on urine organic acid screen (suggests mitochondrial beta oxidation defect), urine organic acids also showing increased fumarate, malate, 3-methylglutaconate,  increase alanine relative to lysine (more stable surrogate marker of pyruvic acid seen on plasma and urine amino acid panels), increased glycine, or proline.  
{Alanine/lysine ratio deserves further comment as some experts believe this to be the best non-invasive indicator of oxidative phosphorylation disorder; however, unless specifically calculated (normal ratio 1.5 to 2.5) by the ordering MD, the report will come back as normal from the reference laboratory on the routine amino acid reports.}  

**The above tests are relatively good screening tests for disorders of oxidative phosphorylation.  Normal results of the above testing does not exclude a mitochondrial disorder.  As a general rule, the above tests are more likely to be positive during acute illness (febrile infection) and after fasting.  Lab tests trend toward normalization (more false negatives) in older children/adults.**

The screening tests listed above for fasting blood and urine may be performed locally by your pediatrician, neurologist, or geneticist.  These tests can be accurately performed by most local reference labs as long as CAREFUL AND PROPER sample handling procedures are followed (e.g. avoidance of artifactual lactate elevation by tourniquet effect).

Further testing on muscle biopsy specimens and spinal fluid should only be done at centers with particular expertise in the field.

A list of some laboratories that perform mitochondrial testing can be found at:  http://mitosoc.org/blogs/diagnosis/tissue/

Pull out ALL stops.....hunt down online and email neurologists directly and tell them your story. I have done this in the past (I have a child with autism and a toddler who looked to be at risk for mito disease), and I heard back from 3 of the 4 that I contacted.

You never know if a US hospital might be able to help you.  
Here is a list of neurologist in the US that focus on mitochondrial disease and metabolic disorders. Good luck, I hope you find answers for your precious daughter.

Johns Hopkins Kennedy Krieger Institute,  Dr. Richard Kelley
Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Dr. Bruce Cohen, Dr. Marvin Natowicz, Dr. Sumit Parikh
UCSD, Dr. Richard Haas, Dr. Robert Naviaux, Dr. Bruce Barshop, Dr. William Nyhan
UC Irvine, Dr. Doug Wallace and Dr. Pauline Filipek
Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, Dr. Richard Boles
UCSF, Stanford, CA, Dr. Gregory Enns
Molecular Neurogenetics, Atlanta GA, Dr. John Shoffner
Emory University, Atlanta, GA, Dr. Fran Kendall
Children’s Hospital, Pittsburgh, Dr. Amy Goldstein, Dr. Gerard Vockley
Columbia University, New York, Dr. Salvatore DiMauro, Dr. Michio Hirano, Dr. Darryl DeVivo
Children’s Hospital, Seattle, WA, Dr. Russell Saneto
TX Children’s Hospital, Houston, Dr. Fernando Scaglia
University of TX, Houston, Dr. Richard Frye and Dr. Mary Kay Koenig
University of TX Southwestern, Dallas, Dr. Ronald Haller
Riley Hospital, Indianapolis, Dr. Bryan Hainline, Dr. Laurence Walsh
University of Maryland, Dr. Carol Greene
Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, DC, Dr. Andrea Gropman
Mass General Hospital, Boston, Dr. David Holtzman
My 15 month old son has been gagging, coughing and making noises like he is going to vomit - only at night - waking up at least 30 times a night crying/gagging... for the last 3 days.  During the day he is happy and plays - except when he lays down for his nap (he tries to turn onto his stomach and seems to calm down a bit but wakes up crying as soon as on his back again).He also has some congestion (seems to be more allergy related as no other symptoms).  He sometimes gets like this when he has a cold - which makes me think it is the congestion/nasal drip causing the effect when he lies down at night.  I am going to the Dr today to rule out anything serious, but afterwords am going to take him to the baby chiropractor/cranio-sacral specialist.  She has helped with congestion in the past when he has had a cold by doing some very delicate massages on his face.  She also almost instantly stopped his constant watery eye when he was a new born with similar gentle massages.  I know chiropractor may elicit visions of harsh adjustments - but with babies and small kids they only do very gentle massages.  My preference is always to try to treat without meds (especially as antibiotics are often over prescribed when they are not helpful). I will update later to say if it helped.  It has helped when he has hada cold - but my worry is that if it is some seasonal allergy - it may only provide temporary relief.  
I am a mother to twins. At a young age we discovered one of the girls had chronic diarrhea we were trying to determine the cause of. Her sister would occasionally vomit at night. I thought nothing of the occasional vomit b'c she had GERD as a baby. Thankfully the stomach flu came into our home. Yes, thankfully.This triggered uncontrollable vomiting in my daughter for days on end and was the ultimate red flag for the doctor's quick action. They first thought it was Celiac disease. Once we spoke with the gastro. doc he felt it wasn't Celiac b'c that symptom is diarrhea. Turns out they have the mother of all food allergies known as Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EE). This can be determined by a biopsy of the esophagus. Basically multiple food and environmental allergies are inflaming the esophagus creating havoc on the body. EE is not a cookie cutter disease with one or two symptoms fitting everyone. In children it can show up as failure to thrive, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. In adults it can be some of the same or difficulty swallowing. Just thought I'd throw this in here b'c I had a child who vomited at night and I could never quite figure out why until this diagnosis.
I have been going through similar situations with my 2 year old.  He will wake up in the middle of the night vomiting and loose stool the next day.   The worst episode lasted for three weeks off and on.  Eventually, this spring I thought about having our well water tested.  It came back positive for coliforms.  Since then, we have put my son on bottled water, and treated the well.  It has been two months since he's been sick.  After researching well water, I found positive test results are not uncommon and generally effect small children and elderly.
a classic sign of whooping cough is coughing at night that leads to throwing up.  The spasms of cough come and go.  Even if kids have received their pertussis vaccine, the full course isn't completed until age 4 or 5, so getting whooping cough is still possible.  Whooping cough is at its highest levels since the 1950s, currently, since so many parents are electing not to get their children immunized.