Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
2 year old waking up during the night

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

2 year old waking up during the night

My 2 year old daughter has been having trouble getting to sleep on her own. We typically read every night in her bedroom for about 15 minutes and then she wants me to rock her to sleep, granted it doesn't take very long but before we had her in a toddler bed, she would go in her crib and fall asleep on her own after reading. Now if I place her in bed to fall asleep she gets out and will sit by the door and cry. Or now she opens the door!!! On top of this I have noticed that now that she is in a toddler bed she wakes up frequently during the night and cries. She gets out of bed, opens her door and comes into our room. She does this 3 or 4 times a night. I always have to pick her up and rock her back to sleep. I'm thinking maybe I should put her bed back into a crib, but was wondering if it could be something else or if I should try something else. She naps for about 2 1/2 hours everyday in her bed and she has none of those problems(besides the fact that I have to rock her to sleep).
Hmm...when I moved my son into a toddler bed at around 20 months I got him a "bob bob" (spongebob) blanket. It was a special big boy blanket for his big boy bed. It only took one or two nights of putting him back in bed maybe twice to get him to sleep in it. I don't know if she has a special favorite toy or character that you could find a blanket of, but make it a special thing. Tell her she's such a big girl, and that's her special big girl bed! You have to over exaggerate and make it seem like it's such a big deal. It may take a little while but she'll get used to it. I wouldn't go back to the crib...you've already moved forward. Now it's just going to take some adjusting.
I agree with smjmekg - going back to the crib is going to create confusion and undo any of the progress that you've made so far (and it sounds as though you've made some, since she does sleep fine there for naptime).

An adjustment period is normal when a child is getting used to sleeping in a big boy/girl bed.  My advice is to be consistent with her....continue taking her back to her room when she does wake up.  As tempting as it may be, don't lay down with her or stay in her room when she does get up - that could prolong the adjustment period.  

Pretty soon, she'll be sleeping through again.  My oldest (nearly 4) has had his ups and downs with waking up and did so a bit more after we moved him to his big boy bed.  Being able to get up, open the door, go and see Mommy and Daddy is a bit of a novelty of them, at first, after being in the confines of a crib.

Good luck :)
Sorry, I didn't quite finish my second paragraph...

I meant to say, as tempting as it is to lay down with her or stay in her room, DON'T do it....