Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
2 yr old not really talking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

2 yr old not really talking

My son will be 2 on the 12th. He seems to be having a problem with his speech though. We practice different words and sentences all the time but he seems to have a speech problem. He will not finish his words or say words with more than one syllable. Nor will he even try to combine words into sentences. He can say different words but will not put them together. Like when he says please it comes out "pee" or "mee". Thank you is "tank", cracker "cra" and he will not say words that begin with s. It's odd and to me it seems he should be more advanced verbally. I am wondering if maybe he is having a problem connecting these things in his brain?
Does anyone elses children have/had this problem? I would really appreciate some input or advice.

P.S. He has been speaking  or saying words since he was 11 months old. Hense my reason for being concerned.
Perhaps you should contact your physician and ask for a referral for a speech pathologist.  If there is a problem, then therapy can begin quickly.  I do know that the sooner the child begins speech therapy, the better is the prognosis.  If there is no problem, then you will have given yourself a Christmas present of "not worrying".
thanks, you hold a very valid point! :-)
Does he have a tongue tie... my son did.  He had a procedure called a tongue tie release and that made all the difference in the world.  
i dont know if he has a tongue tie. i have never heard of that before. i made a doctors appointment but we have to wait a week to see the doctor. but thank you for you responses.
I am Speech/Language Clinician at an Elementary school in FL. It sounds like your son has some articulation problems, which are very common for his age. He has problems with dipthongs-two sounds put together to make one like "pl" or "st". These are difficult for many children, even kids in Elementary school. As far as "cracker" goes, the /k/ sound is very difficult to make. It's not visible on the lips like /m/ or /p/, so he's probably not sure how to make that sound. The /r/ is also very difficult for many children to produce. I would say most of my articulation kids have problems with /r/ and /s/. Have a quick peroral check done at your pediatrician to make sure he doesn't have any problems in his mouth. Otherwise, he just has some artic problems that should work themselves out with age. See if you can get an Articulation Profile somewhere on the internet. It will tell you by what age your child should acquire each sound.

To make you feel better, my son is 17 months old and will not talk either....and his mother is a Speech/Language Clinician. I know exactly how you feel :)

Also--In the school system, we don't worry about kids with artic problems until they pass the age in which they should have acquired the sound. For the /r/, it's age 8. For /ch/, it's 5 1/2. You'd be surprised how late some of them are.

Say each letter sound to yourself and see if the ones he cannot produce are the sounds that aren't visible. He doesn't know what to do with his tongue to make these sounds. He hasn't figured it out yet, but he will :) He may need Speech Therapy down the road, but he'll be fine.