Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
20month old with chronic post nasal drip

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Hi everyone. I have a 20month old daughter with chronic post nasal drip for about 3 weeks or more. Her nose runs all day and the discharge is usually greenish/yellow sometimes clear. She doesnt seem stuffed up, so i think i can rule of sinus infection. She does also have a cough, not all day or everyday but if it does happen usually at night time or when she is running..

I also have a 5 year old with chronic nasal problems, has had problems for about 2 years now, so i know a bit about this topic. First it was ear infections and then she got tubes in, now its her nose. Shes been to a pediatriction(i think thats how u spell it lol) and has refered her over to an allergist.. Shes uses rhinocort(very helpful) and rinses her nose out with a saline wash(works good also).

i guess what i am wondering and seeing myself is that it looks like my 20 month old is going down the same path as my 5 year old. Can i use a saline wash for my 20month old? does she need to go to doctor? or is it just summer allergies?
I would say that you are correct in that your 20 month old is following your older daughter.  My daughter also has allergies and the ear infections are a symptom of it, along with the cough.  Most doctors will not reccomend allergy medecine to your 20 month old because they say that the side effects counter the positive use of the medicine.  In other words your child will probably be hyperactive because of the allergy medecine.  If you can find a docotor that can give you a perscription based on her weight that may be the best to go with or simplly try to keep her out of situations where she is breathing dust and pollen. Use an air filter in her room at night.  I would also suggest calling and askin either a pharmacist or her doctor before using your older daughters medecine on her just to be safe.  Above all try to avoid those ear infections because they can have long term damaging effects to her hearing.  My daughter spent three months on cough medecine with no improvement and jumping from one ear infection to another.  I got fed up and took her to a docotor in Mexico where they told me that she had post nasal drip and gave me a perscription for allergy medecine that they would not give me here in the U.S.  
thank you for the information. Like i said before stuff to do with ears and noses, my wife and i seem to know alot about. We have been dealing with it for years. I just wanted to post my concerns and see if anyone else was thinking the same thing as i was.

doctors just want the quick fix. some are very good and others arent. i guess it just depends on the doctor? i think we might try to get our youngest into our oldest daughters doctor
You can try Hydrasense, too......they make a spray (it's just saline) for infants and toddlers.  I've used it - the adult version - when I was pregnant because I couldn't take much else to relieve my symptoms.  I found that it gave me temporary relief - that was about it.  I think it's a good idea to see if you can get your youngest into your older daughter's doctor since he/she is already aware of the situation/family history.

Good luck!!
hey limonada we meet again!!. first it was sleeping problems now its colds and allergies haha!!..

I think we have some of that nose spray or a form of it.. really at that age you do a whole lot. but it for sure doesnt seem to be going away so to me must be a chronic thing?
spelling mistake second line ....i  meant to say you cant really do a whole lot
Hi!!  I hope your little one feels better soon :-)
hi everyone again i am just wondering if anyone knows the best OTC allergy meds for kids. Most of the allergy meds say for children 2 and up, well my daughter is almost 21months old. We have been giving her aerius kids and it does help her post nasal drip and cough.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried aerius? claritin kids?, reactine kids? if so do they work?
I heard Aerius is the best one out there.  Haven't tried them myself, though!
I have to agree aerius works well. We went to the pharmacy and decided to use that one for our kids and it seems to dry up their runny noses
Saline rinse is fine for infants; overseas they use it routinely. Boiled & cooled water works well too. But as you know that won't stop the condition, it'll just relieve the symptoms for a bit. Have you thought about adenoids (adenoids)? Possibly in both your kids -- works a bit like tonsils but it's really hard to see. Easy to remove, although it does require a general anesthetic. But it could be getting recurring infections, which would cause the runny nose and frequent green/yellow discharge. Just a though.
Actually they have thought about taking adenoids (adenoids) out for my 5 year old. just waiting to do more tests