Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
25 month old does not talk or mimic. Has no words at all. Not even &qu...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

25 month old does not talk or mimic. Has no words at all. Not even "no"

I have a 25 month old who says no words - not even mama.  He does not mimic not matter how hard you try. He is read to all the time, but does not point out pictures-- he will only turn pages.  His physical abilities seem pretty normal.  He seems to engage with you but not quite like other children.  He will laugh and look you in the eye.  He will give you five half heartedly when asked or a fist bump when asked.  He doesn't babble at all.  He plays but likes to throw coins or other objects repeatedly to watch them land.  He is not interested at all in other children.  He will ask to be picked up by raising his hands.  He will turn his face away to let you know he is finished eating.  He refuses to use a cup himself and only uses his hands to feed himself.  You cannot get him to hold anything himself.  He will open and close things when asked.  Father refuses to have him tested, sure he will eventually just start talking and every one is worrying over nothing.  Is very angry when you suggest otherwise.  Do you think this is true?  Is the child just being stubborn and spoiled?
I'd have the child evaluated at least.  Has the child's hearing ever been checked?  What does the pediatrician say when you are in at your yearly visits?  (If he is 25 months old, you must have had a well-child visit just recently because he turned 2?  Did you talk to the pedi about this?)  

Tell your husband that if this is normal, there is no problem evaluating him because the evaluation will say he is normal and put everyone's fears to rest.  And if it is not normal, the evaluation will catch it.  Early intervention on this kind of thing can keep it from ever being a problem.
Who are you in relation to the child? If you don't live with him how do you know that he doesn't babble or try to speak at all?
Diva: I believe she is the mother. Right?

Either way, I agree with AnnieBrooke. The best thing would be to set up an appointment with his pediatrician for an evaluation. Best of luck with everything!
When I took my youngest to her 18 month check up in june the doctor wanted to know what words she was saying and sentences too. She is currently 22 months and says a lot. I mean, even back when she was 18 months she was saying "get it" and "come on". Every child is different but I would think that he would at least be saying mama or daddy.
My daughter still drinks milk out of the bottle because she doesn't like it in cups. But she is fine drinking juice out of sippy cups. She is off the pacifier. Which is another question? Is he still on the pacifier? That could be a reason he is not trying to talk.

Can he point to body parts? If you ask him where his nose is, does he know? My daughter knows her nose, ears, eyes, mouth, teeth, head, hair, arms, hands, fingers, feet, toes, belly button. We make it a game. Sometimes she forgets cheeks and tongue, but I've also been singing the head, shoulders, knees and toes song.

I would think his doctor would of been concerned with him not speaking yet?? All of my children share the same doctor and when I couldn't list a certain amount of things she was saying the doctor started to get concerned. I only couldn't remember because it was an on the spot type of thing.
Also, is this your first child? Because I have 3 all together. So my youngest just picks up things from the other 2 sometimes.
Hopefully, it's just delayed speaking. Hope he starts trying to say something soon!
You can always take him to see a speech therapist if you are concerned. They work wonders!