Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
3 Year old son does not sleep during night time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My 3 Year old son does not sleep during night time. He wakes up in the middle of night atleast 7 to 8 times. throught out the night. We are so worried about his behavioor that he does not have enougt sleep during night time. Because of him, I'm not sleeping throught out the night and I feels so sleepy during day time in office. Can some one suggest me how to overcome this problem.
I have a 2 1/2 year old, I recently did some research on that, I read that they need x amount of sleep during the night, plus more during the day, My son was waking up in the middle of the night in night terrors at times, other times he would be waking up several times a night. this article I read, also said if your little one falls asleep in the carseat often, or crashes out earlier than normal some nights, or has to be woken in the mornings that those are signs of sleep depravation, which waking up in the night is a side affect of. It was very intresting, I made my son take a 2 hour nap before 5 oclock, and he has been sleeping through the night like magic since I have started that.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-sleep-does-your-child-need_7645.bc
Your little one dosent sound like he is having the night terrors, but him constantly waking could be due to lack of sleep?? sounds wierd, but it worked for me? Im no doctor but a mom of 3 little monsters and i will try and do what works lol...let me know what happens!
sorry that was a link to the article I read, for some reason you cant click it, you will have to copy and paste, sorry!!
Hi,  sometimes kids don't  learn that skill of falling to sleep themselves.  Do you have to stay with him to have him fall asleep?  Everyone wakes during the night with the difference being that we can fall back to sleep on our own.  Sounds like your kiddo needs you for this.  If he naps, try putting him in his room for "quiet time" with a stack of books.  Put him in when he is tired----  and let him fall asleep on his own.  Also, I would recommend something that makes white noise ( such as a fan)-----  it will mask noise in case your son is a light sleeper and sounds wake him and then he can't put himself back to sleep.  Good luck.  Getting enough sleep is key to a good day at my house-----  I know how hard it can be when they don't!!
Hi.
My little girl has just come out of this phase. She was NEVER a good sleeper. I looked into norms around how much sleep kids actually need. Some 2 year olds need as little as 9 hours!
The best thing I did (though it was painful for me at the time) was to have her quit napping entirely. No snoozing in the car. Nothing. When we stopped fighting over it her behaviour really settled down.
Within a week she was going to bed at a human hour (8:00), falling asleep easily and sleeping right through untill 8:00 the next day. Her night-wakings and terrors have all but disappeared.