Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
3 year old boy attention span?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

3 year old boy attention span?

My 3 year old son is a only child, He is in his first year of pre-school only for a few months now. He is not around other children on a daily basis other than the time he has in school. The teachers seem to think he has trouble comprehending things and not understanding at times.At home it seems he can understand and comprehend almost anything i show him. he loves to builg lincoln logs and lego blocks and plays like any normal child does. Do you think they are being to tough on him or shouild i be concerned?  Any info would be appreciated......Concerned Daddy.
If your son has only been in pre-school for a few months now, it may take a little bit of time for him to adjust to the new surroundings and all of the new things he's absorbing. If you feel he is doing well at home, and see no problem with his comprehension then I wouldn't be too alarmed, I'd keep up to date with the information from the people at the pre-school and maybe find new ways to stretch his understanding for 'pre-school' type things at home? good luck and all the best.
Hello Hercules, Just bear in mind that the preschool teachers see many, many children and so have a good point of reference when it comes to normal 3 year old behaviour.  Maybe you could interract with your son more.  You mention that he plays with legos and lincoln blocks but you don't say that YOU play with him.  He just may need more Daddy/son time.  You can build your relationship and make him feel good about his ideas re the construction, following his lead but making suggestions so that there is give and take.  Sound like he just might need more interaction time with Dad rather than playing in a solitary fashion. Do you take him out for walks and point out things that you see as you pass them?  Do you read books to him?  Do you lie right down on the floor and rough house with him?  Do you help him tidy his room and ask him where he wants to put his various teddies? Do you discuss how much he likes dinner and the colours and flavours of the food.  There is SO MUCH to talk about with our kids. And the more we talk to the them and listen to them, the brighter they will be. GOod luck.  BlueEGG
It is not uncommon for very young children to behave differently in one setting versus another setting i.e. at home vs. the preschool setting.  Naturally, all children develop at different paces.  It is the norm for children to be uneven in their development i.e. advanced in cognitive development, average in language development, average in gross motor development, average in social/emotional development and  a bit behind in fine motor development.   Its positive that you reported that you son seems to understand most things that you demonstrate to him in the home and that he is playing appropriately with age-level toys.  It may be that he is a bit overwhelmed by the preschool enviornment and may need some additional time to become adjusted.   If he is truly having difficulties comprehending and understanding as you put it, he may be experiencing a delay in language.  There are two basic components of language, receptive language, understanding spoken language and expressive language, ones ability to communicate with spoken langauge.  It could be that he may be a bit delayed in this area.  If the preschool continues to report, he is having the difficulties you reported here, then a developmental evaluation and/or a speech/language evaluation may be in order.   Best wishes...
Pennsylvania Mom
12/26/08

My son is five years old and in kindergarden. academically he is doing great, he reads at a first grade level, writes well and comprehends well to. However the problem that i'm having with him is that he wonders into his own conversations in his head and may need to be redirected a couple times. he does this in school and at home, t is not a all day occurance but it happens quite often. My son is also an only child and I've been told that he is just playing and talking to himself because he is an only child