Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
3 year old masterbating(masturbating)???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My three year old daughter has found a new "feeling" down under and have begun to explore it. As I know it is a NORMAL behavoir as all children figure this out soon or later, I am wondering when It because a dangerous habit, and what to look for as far as signs to be worried about if you know what im saying. How do I speak to my three year old about this without making it into something "sexual" or crossing that thin line. She does not do it in public and I will catch her doing it in very private areas like when she is taking a bath or hidding in a bedroom. I would like to point out to everyone that im not asking about if you think this is normal behavior or not, because even though she has figured it out at a very YOUNG age, it IS normal, and I would not like a debate about this on here please. I would like to know how to approch the situation in a approiate way.
My 4-year-old son does the same thing every morning.  He wakes up 'happy' (like every other man on the planet) and has figured out that touching it feels good.  I've simply explained to him - in the same tone I use when I asking him to put on his shoes or something - that I don't want him to do that in front of mommy or anyone else.  He says 'ok' and leaves it at that.

I completely agree that this is normal and I don't want to make him feel bad about himself or exploring his own body.  So I try to be as casual about it as possible.  If she's not doing it in public, you may not have to do anything at this point.  Good luck! :)
I also agree with you that it's normal, and am so happy to hear you are not trying to make an issue of it.  In all honesty, if she is keeping it private, I probably wouldn't say anything at all.  I would only bring it up if she began doing it in public.  Then I would say something like "that is for private time only" or something to that effect.  But if it's a bathtub or alone time thing, I would probably not say a word about it.
Thank you for your answers. I felt so confused, and you aswsers have truely helped.
My daughter will be 4 in 2 months and she does the same thing. I am a nurse and during nursing school I asked my pediatric instructor if this was normal and she said yes it was.

The children dont understand what they are doing is wrong they just know it feels good when they touch down there. My daughter will sit and play with herself while she watchs a movie or even in the bath tub.

The biggest problem with all of this is she has started to show her butt or boobs at school. So I went and got out my anatomy book (you can go to the library and get a book) and I showed her the body parts that we can show and the body parts that are private.

Just make sure your child knows that this is something you do in private and the only people that can see those private areas are mommy and daddy and doctors.

If you have a girl it migh help to say you can only show what is covered by your bathing suit.

I dont know if its the right thing to do but I dont scream at my daughter when I catch her playing with herself. I just tell her that we do that in private and we never talk about it or do it in front of other people.

Hope this helps :)
My son is 3 years old and he been doing the same thing, he been doing this since he was 11 months that i can remember. I tell that him that he has to do that private and when i do he stops. I'm just scared that he is going to have a problem growing up as a man. Will he have a sex problem? (Addiction) I have alot of concerns.... Will he try to touch other kids when he gets older? or I'm i just making this issue more then it is? I'm not sure if other moms feel this way? sometimes i get scared thinking about this matter....
My son is also aware about these things yet he knows that its not his time to do that hes only 5 but he gets hard just listening to us or old people talking about sex. I also dont make it an issue. Because were all humans.. We all experience that. Maybe the generation now is really way different before lets just accept that and just guide our babies..
nini_joaquin, why are you talking about sex around a 5-year-old? That doesn't seem appropriate.

cherrybubbles2: I'm so glad you realize this is normal! It sounds like your DD is very conscientious about what she is doing and is being careful to be private. As her mom, you'll know if something is wrong, and it doesn't sound like there is anything to worry about now. There is nothing wrong with masturbating at all. If it's a natural desire for even children who don't have opinions about sexual things, then it can't be wrong. Plus, it doesn't hurt anyone, so no big deal. I wrote a journal about this under my profile if you'd like to take a look at it!
Its not really about sex, we were just having fun
or joking around about sex u know.. Why would i do that anyway?? Sorry if u misinterpret what i say.
If it means anything my 8.5yr old daughter has done it since she was 2.5yrs old and still does it. I was very uncomfortable when I first saw her doing it but I have never made her feel uncomfortable about it, in fact now I joke around with her about it and she laughs.

There were times when she was doing it in front of people and that was the hard part. She now knows to go in her room to do it.

It comes and goes now in spurts almost like she forgets about it then starts up again.

I feel that my daughter is very spirited so with her i think it gives her a form of relaxation and it calms her down.

I still feel uncomfortable about it but that's just me not that what she is doing is wrong at all.
I say you should just be like "honey, you don't do that ok? "Or no touching.  Or something like that.  
Children are like computers they mimic and pic up what they see. Take those children to a child psychologist b4 they grow up to be porn stars, rapist, and promiscuios, it is not ok. Make sure they have not been molested. You feel uncomfortable because you know its wrong. Yes, piget, erickson and other child psychologyist have book on children beung curious and learning about bidy parts. Irs crazy not to talk to your kids about this wrong behavior. 3 yr old will be 13 then 23 talk to the kids now or take them to the doctor to talk. I can't believe y'all just accept this wrong behavior as normal. That's kids grow up being rapist, murders, parents take responsibility for your babies and teach then right. Its not cute at 13...they will grow up. ITS NOT NORMAL CHILD BEHAVIOR...SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE HAVE TOUCHED THOSE BABIES...SICK ****
I am sorry but I am going I disagree completely. It is very normal and not sexual to them. There are times yes when children have been touched but other times normal so please relax and stop making a huge deal of it. It is not dirty!