Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
3 year old white/clay colored stools!!!!! HELP!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My 3 year old son has been having white/clay colored stools. It's been on and off for a year. But i thought it might have been normal because all her drinks is milk and only eats particular foods. I've tried different diets and he just won't eat, unless it's the way he wants to. But lately everyone has been worrying me about it.. his father and my mother have been questioning why his stools are whitish/clay colored? He's active, doesn't complain of sickness.. never whiney? i don't know?? I am scared it's something to do with his pancrease!!! Especially cancer!!! Wouldn't he have like prodromal symptoms??? Something??? I know cancer is a silent killler.. I'm freaking out....help me! Thank you :-(
If this has been going on for a year, I would hope you would of seen a doctor a long time ago.  What did the doctor tell you?  
Since my son is active, no jaundice, eats well when he is hungry. They aren't worried. I was thinking maybe it's a vitamin defieciency???? I bought him some flinestone vitamins. When he had a BM this morning it was greenish brown... So maybe? I am going ot get a second opinion, b/c I am still worried!!!
I think the vitamin is a good start.  If it continues, I would get a second opinion, it never hurts.
Wow yeah that doesn't seem right, I have never heard of that. There's somehting his body is lacking check with another doctor for sure.
I hate to say anything without knowing my facts,  but I remember something about the white/clay colored stools from nursing school.  for some reason cystic fibrosis comes to mind.  but like i say I'm not for sure.  just get it checked out with the doctor.
I have a 5 year old daughter. My daughter has an overgrowth of yeast (fungal infections) and that makes her poop a different color. Very pale. She has gotten fungal medication (oral), then we have her on continued Pro-biotics and her poop looks normal.
Sometimes my oldest would get that when she was a baby.  I remember researching it and finding some diseases/disorders it is linked to--even pancreatitis.  However, it was intermittent and she ended up being just fine.  It may be the amount of milk as she was on toddler formula at the time.  I took her to the doctor and he said she was fine.  It never hurts to get them checked out.
My  2.5 yr. old daughter has the same symptoms.  (Pale/clay colored stools.) All she wants to drink is milk and she is a VERY picky eater.  However, she is very active and although can be a handful and pretty demanding she is not overly fussy or sickly.   She has a twin sister and although she is not as picky an eater or drinker their diets are similar and she poops every color of the rainbow. I've asked my pediatrician about it several times and all he suggests is cutting back on the milk and trying flintstone vitamins to help supplement her picky diet.  But I don't feel like this is enough.  I think I'm going to suggest he run blood tests.  I'm concerned about anemia.

I hope everything worked out positiv for you, my daughter is having on and off very pale stools and in the mean time time brown or pale brown. It's been going on for three months. We did 2 blood tests and all came back normal. I was wondering whether you can give me some advise what can cause this? Thanks!
My 3 yr old son is pooping pale coloured stools ever since he started pooping in the toilet about 3 weeks ago. He also is a very picky eater, will eat rice krispies on occasion, eats toast, chicken nuggets & curry sauce everyday for dinner or fries & curry sauce. He drinks a lot of milk about 1.5 litres per day and when thirsty drinks water. He will eat a half apple or grapes a couple of times a week. He doesn't complain of being sick or pooly, when he goes outside to play or for walks his nose is running constantly. From age 3 months he was very sick & had 19 antibiotics in almost 21 months. I know that's a lot but he was way too ill to fight the infections on his own.
I'm not sure what to do about the stools, I know he needs supplements as his body is not getting what it needs so anything you can suggest would be great. Thanks for reading. Claire
We have been dealing with Clay colored stools off an on for 5 years with my son.  We have been back and forth to the Dr. He too is not sickly or showing any signs of pain.  He recently had an ultrasound done on the Gallbladder, pancrease, and liver.  That test has come back normal.  The dr. even did a stool sample looking for bacteria and fungus...again all very normal.  I have asked the dr.  to run blood test...but he responds by saying I would have no idea what to test for.  What tests should I demand?  any help is appreciated.  Chrissy
Maybe check out this site...
http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/cosymptoms/white-stool-all.htm
Just called my pedicatrician with similar concerns.  She will be running blood tests to make sure that the liver is functioning properly.  
too much milk ..that will do it . cut back on milk more veg more protein
My daughter gets that from time to time, it also smells weird, right (not that poop smells great in general,  but this definitely made me nauseous)
My doc said that as long as there's no blood it can be any color and it's fine. The only problem would be black, which indicates blood in the GI tracts  
I have been a nanny for 15 years , I have seen this very often between 12 months and 3 years! First of all since the doctor is not concerned and from what you have said about the what you feed your child the answer is --- YOU.  Well the food YOU are providing at her demands! TOO MUCH MILK AND PROBABLY CRACKERS> Stop feeding all that processed junk NOW and deal with the tears! A child that age only needs  about  1-  3 teaspoons of food every 2 - 4 hours. Thats cause her stomach is the size of her fist.  She will not starve herself it will only look like that the first few days. Start feeding her a health diets, of brown rice, fresh veggies and lean protein such as grilled chicken , Nothing white, processed, no fast food, dyed and this problem will go away. Give a little watered down ped lite  1 x a day. Also water downed pedia sure 1x a day,  and the rest time water only. Maybe stop vitamins maybe half then for a while, be strong and soon you will have a health child ! At the moment your killin her with kindness and milk. After you have done all that I say here for a solid 2 weeks white pooh will be in your past,   BUT if you find white poop again, go to doctor after doctor dont stop until you find an answer. Then its usually infection or gallbladder, maybe liver.
My daughter has had clay colored stools for 2 days and called nurse and she said to go in 3rd day. We did and still same colored stools.  Dr. prescribed blood tests for bile and liver I think it is and an abdominal ultrasound.  I have read nowhere that cutting out milk can stop this that it is usually a sign of lack of bile which can be a problem for the liver, gallbladder and pancreas.  Dr. said she had no masses or tumors he could feel or tight or full stomach.  I find it hard to believe this could be from milk as she loves to drink milk and eating food in general is a challenge.  She is very active but recently has said her stomach is bothering her and she has lost 4 lbs. in two months so we are concerned.  
My son is 14 months and having pale stool for maybe a month. He has a dr appt on Tuesday. From the research I have done online I will be requesting he have blood work done. Another mom had posted that her dr didn't know what to look for. Well , this is what I've read: Bile from you liver is what causes stool to become brown once it reaches the intestine. There could be a blockage to keep the bile from coming through or the liver not creating enough. My children were all jaundice at birth and they did the "heel *****", billiruben (I'm sure spelled wrong!) test. That's what they need to do now! If the billiruben is high that means the bile is not being released from the liver like it should be. From there, I don't know what to do! Any more test suggestions?
first thing I would be testing them for is Gluten sensitivity and celiac disease and then I would put them on a gluten and dairy free diet and see if anything changes worked for me I have a completely different child now
My son is 2 1/2 and since he turned 1 he has had issues with occasional pure white stools and always pale colored and clay like stools. We have tested all of his organs, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, and a total cbc and lipid panel test. Everything was fine. He was anemic for awhile but overcame it. He is still growing and is not sickly and still has plenty of energy. He also does not like to eat much food. Only meat is chicken and he loves his milk. My doctor is doing some more research to see if there are any other tests to be ran. A GI specialist was not concerned last year when all of his tests were normal. Also milk will not cause your stools to be white. If I find any answers I will repost!
If your son has been on so many antibiotics I would really have him on a good probiotic as antibiotics cause yeast overgrowth almost always! (and I would start out with a medicinal dose for three days to a week depending on his symptoms). Especially in immune systems that are not fully developed or strong. All kinds of issues including infections and degraded immune system can be symptoms of yeast overgrowth in the body. If it goes on long term it can cause all kinds of issues as his life progresses (such as depression and other ailments). I know your post is old, and I'm just suggesting from my own personal experience as well as so much research and reading I've done for my own health and my son's. Good luck.
My kids stool is the same color (white/pale) when they are only drinking milk. It only goes to a more normal color when they start drinking less milk and more juice.
Its the milk folks ...some children are more sensitive to it...cut the milk and watch with 2 days the color change ...MILK
my grandson just started having white stools and he also has a runny nose and poor appetite very fussy eater he is 14 months. Took him to the dr and she says not to worry only if it is bloody stools. But, If it keeps being the white clay like stool to bring him in for a bllood test to see is some thing is blocking his vile,,,,,
STAY AWAY FROM GENETICALLY  MODIFIED FOODS!! (GMOs) It must say Non-GMO on the package.  ALL CORN (most wheat)  from your regular mass producers (Think big name packaged goody companies and cereal companies) use GMO corn and wheat.  I know organic is more expensive. But GMOs cause a host of problems including INFIRTILITY in your child and grandchildren later on.  Many studies have recently reported studies which support this finding, GMO's are suspected to be the leading cause of  Irritable bowel Syndrome, Crone's disease etc.  It is known to be related to allergies and gut problems in young children.  Please do some research! This no small thing in your child's gut issues.  It may be the cause, it is definitely worsening things.  GMO's break open the cells in the digestive track using a GMO seed with built in insecticide! designed to grow crop which cracks open the insects gut on the inside.  Well guess what, it is doing it in humans too.  More and more problems related to these issues are being reported. People think "oh the problem is the wheat gluten" no the problem has become the wheat gluten because your gut can no longer process GMO wheat (sorry I digress) but get your child on Organic grains and fruits and veggies...."grains and the biggest culprit" of digestive issues right now...and now you know why. But don't take my word for it...INVESTIGATE for yourselves.  Research "Round Up" for more info. Peace.
Clay colored,grey,pale, or white stools indicate bile is not excreting enough into the bowel. I just noticed it in my 3 yr old. If u got bloodwork back and its good just keep a watch on it and keep making apointments. tell them to keep a check on liver funtion
my 3 year old had this too, He is a milk lover too!! was advised he has a lazy liver, prob due to winter weather and to give him Chlorophyll - his poo turned bright green at first, to be expected but then turned to normal colour straight after - great stuff for stimulating the liver! be warned tho- it stains :) but he loves his green tongue after chewing a tablet!
How about some support and wisdom for this mother instead of accusation and critical reply. Shame on you!
my daughter had the same stools.... we checked with her pediatritian and she adviced a blood test...which came out fine with one component called ALP some phosphate in blood exceptionally high(it was 1167 mg  and it should range from 40-120 mg) doc said when children are in growth spurt it happens and is fine :)
doc said she wudn't bother as all her other blood work was fine accept the ALP which was high.she has asked me to get her blood work done again in 3-6 onths :) les hope for the best
I was having this exact problem. My son has pale stools for a little over a month. I was able to take him to the doctor yesterday; the doctor asked various question about his diet. His doctor told us that he needed to stop drinking juice because of the excess sugar.  My son is a picky eater, juice and milk junkie. lol. Believe me I try to monitor his juice and milk intake but the grandparents (on both sides) insist he can drink as many as he likes. He can do as many as 3 juices or more a day if i don't stop him. The doctor explained that my son needed to stop drinking juice unless i squeeze them out of the fruit my self. The doctor then explained why the sugar in juices can cause a drastic change in my sons bowel movements. she explained that there is good bacteria in the gut that helps absorb the nutrients that the body needs but when there is too much sugar the good bacteria tends to feed on the sugar and not the nutrients to body needs. I felt like recording the doctor's explanation for my parents and in laws, Maybe that way they could understand why I don't want him drinking so much juice.  
Light Gray/ Chalk White/ Pale Yellow

This type of color of stools is common in babies who ingest moo-juice and who are on milk-only diets or in babies who are given antacids for stomach ache. However, such stools can also indicate blockage of bile ducts, which requires medical attention. Pale colored, and/or fatty and bad smelling stools are indicative of celiac disease or mild intolerance to gluten. Such children are unable to digest gluten, which is a protein present in barley, rye and wheat. You should consult a pediatric gastroenterologist if your child’s stool is of such color and your child’s growth is slow and they are also having lingering loose stools.
I believe some common sense is in order. If all tests are normal....perhaps time to consider options other than chicken nuggets and milk as mainstay diet! Think of this: if your child were born in another country, would they simply die without these food items? Quickly, they would adjust and eat what was available, likely without ever a glance backward. And since we are talking fresh healthy food like chicken or whole fruits and vegetables, we are not in danger of abuse. On the contrary, allowing a toddler to determine a diet of milk and processed nuggets is rather neglectful in the long run, no? Rules are unpopular but smart children (which all children are) learn the ones they can circumvent, bend, break, and which are ironclad. Otherwise, the nugget/milk child would demand chocolate/lollipops. They do not, because it is not allowed:)