Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
3 yr old can't communicate
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

3 yr old can't communicate

My 3 1/2 year old, Kellen, has problems telling us what hurts or what's bothering him when unhappy. We've never been able to hold a discussion with him and he doesn't make up his own sentences. Most of what he says he has heard somewhere else (from other people or movies). He doesn't seem to pretend very much (if at all) and when he looks at books he doesn't make up his own story; he tells it from memory. If he's never read the book he just looks at the pictures until he see's something he recognizes. Kellen has excellent enunciation and is learning to spell/read words. He's been talking since  10-12 months. He's great with colors and numbers too. He can't write letters but can do lines and circles and will make scribble pictures. He's potty-trained during the day but still wets at night. He's generally pleasant and happy and loved affection. Lastly, he's not interested in other kids (except babies; he loves babies!). He doesn't try to play with them unless they approach him. If they do play, it's all physical. They try to talk to him but he can't converse. My 2 year old, Devon, is much different and communicates great; this difference is what told us Kellen might have a social / behaviorial / communication problem. I talked with my pediatrician, who said I should have Kellen evaluated. He said I don't need a referral so I can just pick a Dr from our insurance's website. I'm not sure what kind of doctor should evaluate him. Can you offer your opinion?