Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
3.7 yr old son insists on being fed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

3.7 yr old son insists on being fed

My son who is 3.7 yrs old insists that we hand feed him his meals and he refuses to eat his meals by himself.He eats snacks by himself.He is capable of eating well with spoon and fork.But recently has started not eating lunch at school as well...whatever i send he brings it right back...first  few days I actually fed him..as i was in a hurry to get him fed , but unfortunately he made a habit out of it..and now i cant get him to eat !! I know i am guilty as well..but how to I get him to start eating by himself..mealtimes are turning to crying and tantrum times,..and getting extremely stressful.

Please advice !
Tags: Eating, 3, Crying
I am no expert, but I would say a few days of tuff love and just don't give in and feed him.  He gets no snacks if he doesn't eat his meals.  Save his meals and when he cries that he is hungry than he gets that back.  When he get's hungry enough and cannot fill up on snacks he will eventually eat.   It may take of few days of insanity, but I bet he will start to eat again.  
I agree with lovefaimily, he's old enough that he should be eating on his own, and you have to stand firm. If you give in, he'll keep making you. Does he have his own forks and spoons? Maybe if you can, try to find a fork and spoon of characters he likes, and let him use his (character's name) fork and spoon, and say it's only for little boys, mommy's and daddy's have can't use them, make it seem special that only he can use it, maybe like he has magical powers to use them, it sounds stupid...but if it works, it works.
Thank you so much...yep tough love seems the only option...and I hv seen success yesterday :) He tried to get me to feed him..but i was consistent...distracted him with songs and silly games at the table  and he did not even realize he had finished his whole lunch..and I bet he felt so proud..You should hv seen the look on his face..as he put the plate back in the kitchen and walked over to give me a hi-5 :)

We had successful meals at dinner and today at breakfast too.. :)

I hope to be consistent :)

Thanks for your support !
I agree.  I think one way I do it with my son (that I have some similar problems as you-----  in regards to development) is to act very busy.  I'd say, take some bites yourself, mama needs to cut this meat or whatever.  

I just re read what you wrote above and you've found a way to encourage him without a melt down.  That is great.  You are really a loving, kind and gentle mother.  You do a great job!
Glad to hear that he's being a big boy again, stay strong and continue to be firm, and if the distractions work, than great!