Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4 Year Old Girl Very Attached to Mom

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

4 Year Old Girl Very Attached to Mom

My daughter just turned 4 in November.  She is a wonderful child and too smart for her own good.  I know we all think our kids are smart.  Anyways, overall, she is the ideal child.  Recently, maybe about a month ago, she started to get very clingy with me.  Now, she has gone through a clingy phase off and on her whole life and I know that's normal, especially for this age group.  However, it's gotten out-of-control.  She tells me all the time, I just want to cuddle with my mom.  I only work three days a week, and my kids are in daycare a max of 8 hrs. on each of those days.  When I'm home, it's constantly, "Mom, can you play with me?  Mom, will you do this, mom will you do that?"  Even if other kids are around, she wants to play with me.  She's been complaining about daycare saying that it's too noisy and that she just wants to be with me. She doesn't like anyone else to put her to bed, to brush her teeth, anything.  She tells me when I get home from work that she missed me all day and that I was all that she could think about.  It's breaking my heart, because I feel like I'm failing her emotionally.  I have started to get frustrated with her when she insists on being under my feet all day.  I literally cannot get anything done.  She is becoming more difficult than my 16 month. old.  I give her attention and have, "mom and daughter" days, so I don't know what else to do.  Anyone else go through this?
Is staying home and being an at home mom an option?

The day will come(very soon) when she doesn't want to be around you all the time and share all parts of her life.

She's asking for your time which is the most presious gift we can give our children and often the most difficult to give.

Good luck
You are completely right and that has been lingering in my mind.  I quit working for a year and went back last June.  One of the reasons I was o.k. with going back is because my daughter was constantly asking to play with other kids, go places, even asked to stay at preschool sometimes.  So, I thought this would be "fun" for her.  I'm very involved with her and I do a lot of activities with her.  This may be an option again.  Thanks for your advice.  
Hi there,

I realize you made this post 7 years ago, but your daughter sounds exactly like mine. Except she was always attached to me, from the very beginning. She is 3.5 now...today I had a meeting with someone at my house, and my husband and my parents were around but she insisted on coming and interrupting my meeting, refusing to have anyone else take her to the potty (even though she knows how to do this on her own, including the whole routine with washing hands, etc), asking me to color with her, and generally refusing to go do something else and wait for me to finish so I could put her to bed. I try not to be annoyed but it's so difficult! What ended up happening with your daughter? Thank you so much.