Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4 Year Old Refuses to do #2 on the toilet
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

4 Year Old Refuses to do #2 on the toilet

My son just turned 4 years two weeks ago and we were hoping for a miracle to say the least when it came to him doing # 2 on the toilet.  He has never worn pull-ups or training pants but jumped right on the toilet when he was about 3 years old.  He'll get up at night to use the toilet to pee and never has accident.  Our concern is that when he has to do #2 he is terrified of the toilet.  He tells us that he is "scared".  We would refuse to put his diaper on all day and sometimes he would forget about it.  The next day he would beg again and we would have not choice but to put it on and he would go in instantly.  He does it privately, either in the bathroom or the bedroom and does not like anyone around.

We don't know what else to do since we've brought it up with his pediatricians and they have no concerns.  He is a good boy and is somewhat very clean and does not like to be dirty, sticky or not even to have a hair out of place.  That is why we are surprised that is not fully potty train.  As soon as he's done pooping in his diaper he wants it to be changed right away.  He begs us not to get mad at him and promises repeatedly to do it in the toilet next time.  He has been saying that about six months now ;o).  He is in pre-school and would not do it there.  If he has to do it he would complain that his belly hurts and gets to sit in the corner until I pick him up.

Please let us know if you can help or it will happen when he is ready.  Please do not recommend the reward system, sitting on the potty with his clothes on or taking away privileges...we've done it all patiently with him.

Thanks for your recommendation.