Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4 Year Old Refuses to do #2 on the toilet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My son just turned 4 years two weeks ago and we were hoping for a miracle to say the least when it came to him doing # 2 on the toilet.  He has never worn pull-ups or training pants but jumped right on the toilet when he was about 3 years old.  He'll get up at night to use the toilet to pee and never has accident.  Our concern is that when he has to do #2 he is terrified of the toilet.  He tells us that he is "scared".  We would refuse to put his diaper on all day and sometimes he would forget about it.  The next day he would beg again and we would have not choice but to put it on and he would go in instantly.  He does it privately, either in the bathroom or the bedroom and does not like anyone around.

We don't know what else to do since we've brought it up with his pediatricians and they have no concerns.  He is a good boy and is somewhat very clean and does not like to be dirty, sticky or not even to have a hair out of place.  That is why we are surprised that is not fully potty train.  As soon as he's done pooping in his diaper he wants it to be changed right away.  He begs us not to get mad at him and promises repeatedly to do it in the toilet next time.  He has been saying that about six months now ;o).  He is in pre-school and would not do it there.  If he has to do it he would complain that his belly hurts and gets to sit in the corner until I pick him up.

Please let us know if you can help or it will happen when he is ready.  Please do not recommend the reward system, sitting on the potty with his clothes on or taking away privileges...we've done it all patiently with him.

Thanks for your recommendation.
I have been, & pretty much still there...My daughter, who will be 4 on 3/1 did not want to do #2 on the potty either.  Last night I think I did it!  I had to go to the bathroom, #2, & I took her in there with me, let her watch, she thought it was funny & I made it seem that way too by over doing it.  This morning, she did it, she went # 2 on the potty.  Try it, if you haven't already...anything was worth the shot & hopefully it will continue.  Lots of luck!!!
My son is exactly the same way. I was so surprised how similar our problem is. He too will not sit on the potty to poop. He goes pee fine and rarely has accidents but my son (4) poops in his underwear more than once a day and I am so frustrated. Please let me know if you hear anything. His pediatrician says he will do it when he is ready but I think something is wrong. Thank you beam1127
my son refused to poop in the potty till one week before he turned 5!!
i was so stressed , thought i was a bad mom thought he needed to see a special doctor and everything under the sun!
unfortunatley what those damn doctors say is true... they will NOT do it till they are ready!
this is very frustrating to say the least! but when it dos happen.... oh its great!
he now uses the toilet all the time and hardly ever has an accident and hes 5 and a half!