Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4 Year old wont potty train!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

4 Year old wont potty train!!

My daughter is four years old, and she wont potty train. She knows how to go, and can and will do everything by herself while in the bathroom. However, she will not just go on her own, I have to tell her to go to the potty. She is aware is wrong, and gross. She also does not like the way it feels, but she will not go to the potty. It seems as though its a laziness thing, because she is proud of herself when I tell her to go, and she does. I should also add in that she was 90% there, several times, and then she goes to her fathers and comes back home to me peeing and pooping on herself. What should I do?
Find out what is happening at her father's.
I had that same problem. My daughter is 3 years old and is in the last stages of potty training, we've been set back many times. I used to let my mother have my daughter for a weekend every now and then and she'd return and have constant accidents, turns out my mother was putting a diaper on her because she didn't feel like helping my daughter use the bathroom. You should make sure that your child's father isn't doing the same. Also, setting up a reward systems helps ALOT. Try using a sticker chart, after she uses the toilet she gets a sticker and after so many stickers a surprise. Other than that, my daughter had a problem with stopping playing with her toys to go, I figured out that if I set an example she follows. As in I'll get on the floor and play with her and go, " hmm, I need to use the potty, and I'll put the toys down and tell them I'll be right back" now she's been doing the same. All we need to work on now is waking up to use the bathroom. Hope this helps.
Hi.  Yes, I agree with Anniebrooke---  why is she afraid to go into the bathroom?  (I'd just go in with her and go ahead and remind her until you don't need to anymore by the way).  But talk about what is going on at dads with her.  If she seems fine there then talk to your ex about what you do for potty training so that you can have consistency.

Honestly, my boys were horrible potty trainers with my younger boy being the worst.  He fought it the whole way.  Then I just said "okay, will you just get potty trained already" and he said okay.  He was over 4!  And he was potty trained from that moment on.  That is the good part of an older potty trainer.  I never shamed him before he finally chose to do it himself or punished him but patiently waited.  And as there was no 'process' that I went through with my older son, it was actually easier for my younger one to do it on his terms.

But I do worry that something else is going on with your daughter.  Investigate that for her sake.  Peace and luck
This is what they use to do: stop with the diapers. Let them ether pee on themselves or in the potty. Soon enough they get tired or embarrassed and go potty. Also if helps to give them treats just for sitting on the toilet, weather they go or not.
I disagree with letting a child soil themself because of your frustration with the fact that they aren't potty trained.  If there is a reason she is stressed, such as something happening over at Daddy's, punishing her for it will just make things more stressful.  And you can bet it's a lot more stressful for you, all that cleanup.  A mom will get a very impatient tone very fast with a child who pees or poops in her clothes.  If the problem is not really the kid's fault, this anger and impatience just escalates the stress for everyone.