Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4 and half year old with speech delay

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

4 and half year old with speech delay

I have a 4 and half year old girl who has been taking speech for almost 2 years. WE have had all the evaluations done and she is above level in everything with the exception of speech.  WE had tubes put in her ears almost 2 years ago and she has a hearing test every 6 months resulting in telling us she has perfect hearing. There is something just not right but we can't put our fingers on what it is or where we need to go. She goes to pre-k and is doing wonderful. You  can understand some of what she is saying but not everything. We are concerned because we don't want her to be behind her peers.  She is very intelligent and a smart girl. picks up on things very quickly.  Her speech just doesn't seem to be getting any better. What can we do as parents to help her? Who do we need to see (dr's, etc) to find out what is going on?
WE live in NC.
My son is 4 1/2 and having alot of speech delay. We have had to have two hearing tests both turned out great. But in his class at school I can see a big difference in the other kids speech compared to his, We work with him at home and he also has a woman at school working with him at school daily for  his speech but nothing is working his speech isn't getting better. I live in eastern Ky and would love to find some out who else can be contacted to help with his speech. I am in the process of finding a speech-language pathologist. Thank you, Debbie
To the original poster, what does her speech specialist say about her progress?  Are they concerned?  Does she attend the public preschool early intervention program (which is usually half kids who need early intervention and half kids that need no help to have a balance classroom)?  It begins at age 3 and goes to 5 years and again would be through your public school.  It's usually 4 half days a week.  

Anyway, is her expressive and receptive areas of speech above average with just trouble in the area of articulation?  My son has sensory issues (he's now 6) that showed in artiuclation.  We had his speech evaluated by a speech pathologist and he was above average with receptive and expressive language and fell within normal with articulation.  He went on to have more sensory issues though.  The reason speech is involved with sensory can be due to motor planning  If it is off, the signal gets messed up and the oral muscles have trouble getting the signal to make proper sounds.  My son was within normal with artiuclation but was off with hand writing a bit.  He is within normal in terms of ability but it is difficult for him.  He tended to want to avoid it at 4 as he had to work at it.  His motor planning is just slightly off.  He is coordinated and made all milestones on time or early, but some things are harder for him than others.  Fine motor is within normal often but harder.  If that makes sense.  Has your daughter been evaluated by an occupational therapist?  Ours did wonders----- and I mean wonders for our son.  I have lots of oral exercises if you are interested.  

For the second poster, you are doing the right thing to have yoru child evaluated.  That is the right place to start.  Also, consider the school programs that are available if needed.  We didn't do them and handled our issues at a private preschool, but I think the school programs are good and should be taken advantage of.  good luck