Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4 year old and temper tantrum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

4 year old and temper tantrum

Hi, I have a 4 year old (turning 5 this month) who just started kindergarten last week. She's been in daycare and pre-k so this is not really new to her, however she just started giving me trouble to sleep. Doesn't want to be by herself in bed and throws a temper tantrum for about an hour before she understands that I'm not staying with her to sleep. I'm currently taking her tv time out and not taking her to the playground in return for the bad behavior. My husband is getting upset because I try to calm her down rather than straight discipline her. To me, the goal is to put her to sleep and get her mad won't really help me. Am I wrong?
I  suspect your daughter is very stressed from school.  Kindergarten is a very big step for a young child and so much different that daycare.  Temper tantrums, inability to sleep and afraid to be alone are all behaviours common to separation anxiety.  I might suggest you google the phrase "separation anxiety and children" or "kindergarten and separation anxiety" or similar words/phrases to learn more about this issue.  Using "discipline" will not work if anxiety is the issue - patience, understanding, being firm and routine should help your daughter to manage her stress.  Do note that if anxiety is the issue, this will not be solved quickly - for some children it takes months or even years to become comfortable at school.  I wish you the best ....