Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4 year old temper tantrums when getting dressed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My 4 1/2 year old son has started to have these incessant long temper tantrums every time he needs to get dressed. It happens with every article of clothing, socks, shoes, shirt, pants - he breaks out into hysterics saying his clothes "bother" him. He ONLY will wear shorts and if I even mention his having to wear pants it sets him off. Once he gets his clothes on he starts flailing around and screaming that they hurt. The thing is - once his clothes are on and his tantrum is over he is fine for the rest of the day. It is ONLY when initially getting dressed. If his shoes have to come off then we go through the same thing every time we need to put them back on.

My husband is so concerned he thinks he might have Autism and I am just at my wits end. I do not think he has Autism because he doesn't fit the classic symptoms. He plays fine with others and is very social. He is the middle child in between my 8 & 3 year old and I think he is just feeling left out. He goes to preschool 3 x a week and gets along with the other children and does fine there. It's just the clothes thing that is a daily and frequent issue with us now.

Help!
Make sure you give him plenty of time to dress ,children do not like to be rushed around half asleep, it always works better when you allow enough time for breakfast and dressing, washing etc, the amount of children who have tantrums in the morning because there isnt enough time for them to get ready ,at their own pace. Another thought ,let him get his own clothes and dress himself, leave him in his room to do it done hassle him ,sometimes less words are all that is needed. Good luck,, PS and a nice healthy breakfast!!
try letting him think he has some control, pick out 2 outfits the night before and let him decide which one to wear,  he may think hes the boss ( which of corse he isnt) but this will make him feel like a big boy, make sure not to give him any more than 2 choices thats too over whelming for his age.
I agree with the other post let him pick his clothes ask the night before what he wants to wear weather permitting Ask do you want to wear shorts or pants, sandels or tennis shoes. My kids love to pick out their clothes and my youngest will get really mad and thro a fit if he dont get to wear the shoes he wants he has went to daycare in cowboy boots and bluejean shorts, Yes he looked ridiculous but he was happy and he liked it. I always say do you want to where this or this and he choices, but I do have to get him up earlier if he dresses hisself so he wont be fushed
I have the exact same issues with my 4 and 1/2 year old son.  He hates underwear, pants and tennis shoes!  Screaming, crying, falling on the floor (who knew four year old boys were so dramatic!)  I went so far as to have him tested throught the school district - it is clear that he is not autistic (just to sooth the irrational fears that pop up around that issue).  I find that there is no matter of time in the morning that prevents a showdown about getting dressed; the intensity is lower on a weekend when he's time to play but the issue persists.I love the idea of allowing him to choose his own clothes - no matter how ridiculous (is letting him fly without underwear or a pair of parents a "real" problem?).  Not sure wear to draw the line about learning to dress appropriately and waiting to see if he grows out of this stage.
Try setting him out a couple of sets of clothing, tell him he can choose then leave him to it, the clothes he comes out in he can wear so you wont put out weird ones,, at 4 year old he is trying to have some control on his wishes.