Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4 year old with very bad attitude

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

4 year old with very bad attitude

I have a 4 year old grandson who has very bad behavior.He is very smart for his age. His behavior consists of yelling at people (even strangers) to go away, leave him alone , don't look at him that way, etc. When his parents or grandparents  talk to him, if he doesn't want to hear it, he starts yelling, refusing to let others speak by being louder than they are, constantly argues, and this can go on for hours. He refuses to let anyone comfort him when he is hurt. He threatens to hit us , spank us, shoot us or call the police when he doesn't like what someone is saying to him. He constantly interrupts and gets louder and louder if you try to ignore him.arent and grandparent are at their wits end, and it seems very sad because no one likes to be around this kid, kids and adults alike.We have tried praise because it seems like a self- esteem issue, but truely, nothing works. Help!
Oh my gosh! I am SOOOOO glad I've found someone else with this problem. My son seems exactly like this. His behavior is VERY good at Pre-K, but at home and in public he will not listen hardly at all. There's some things I can reward him with & he'll do great, but mostly outbursts just like your grandson. Also, he rolls, flips & climbs all over our couch and floors. We have 2 small dogs that he constantly picks at, they growl at him & he thinks it's funny. His 2 year old sister is COMPLETLEY different....she's very calm tempered & listens extremely well. I thought it was self-esteem as well, so we started offering even more positive re-inforcements, but that sometimes even makes it worse. It's even hard to get someone to baby sit because he's so mouthy & we're never sure how he will act----sometimes good & sometimes not. My son talks loud about 75% of the day. I sometimes feel like I've done something wrong, but I don't know what & I really want to fix it because he's a super sweet kid.
I doubt very much if your son's behavior is your fault. I think these are just extremely strong-willed kids, which will be a good thing when they get older, but drives everyone crazy right now! We've been trying the1-2-3 method, which consists basically of 3 strikes, you're out. Whatever the behavior is you're trying to stop, you tell  them OK that's 1. If they proceed to do it, then it's OK, that's 2, and on the 3rd time it's time out for 1 minute of their age, such as 4 minutes for a 4 year old. this has been helping some, but I will warn you, if your consistant and do it every time, it'll wear you out. But it also seems to wear my grandson out. He at first screamed and yelled and said no one loves him, etc., but we just stay quiet and don't respond to his outbursts. I t has improved somewhat, and maybe with time it'll get even better. I would welcome some advice or suggestions though. Good luck!
Is it possible that these are signs of a mood or emotional disorder?  Just a thought ...
most moms do the  1-2-3 method on toddlers and it does work- be consistent though- and always follow thru-
glad to hear you care about your child - wish more moms were like you- they just let their kiddos go crazy forever and never try anything
ugggh

I've also thought about an emotional issue with my grandson, he just seems so overly sensitive and unhappy for someone that age(4). And as long as it always goes his way, and he's getting attention, he IS happy. jdtm: what do you know about mood or emotional disorders? Appreciate any advice or education on the subject.