Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4 yr old, Strong urine smell, freq. thirst, tummy ache
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

4 yr old, Strong urine smell, freq. thirst, tummy ache

For the past month or so my 4.5 yr old son's urine smells putrid. It smells like someone dumped ammonia in his diaper (he has asperger's and has decided diapers are his thing for now). For the past 2 weeks he's CONSTANTLY thirsty. He doesn't go without a cup in his hand, he is ALWAYS thirsty. The past week he's been complaining about his tummy hurting and the light hurting his eyeballs.

I have no clue what could be causing this, but we're military and in order for me to not have him pushed on the back burner I have to know what questions to ask because they give me 2 mins and then tell me tylenol is hte answer. (they kept telling me he was only developmentally behind slightly and I was exaggerating his behavioral issues until he SERIOUSLY hurt my 2 yr old daughter. . . Said he just needed more sleep and wanted me to drug him, it took a year to get him tested for spectrum disorders. ..) I need some clue as to what I'm looking at here.

So does anyone have any Idea what could be going on with my little man? Anyone have any suggestions abotu questions I should ask?
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
You may want to check symptoms for type 1 diabetes with the thirst issue as well as with the urine issue. I know from what I've learned excessive thirst is a major symptom of diabetes, but not sure about the urine smell. mayo-clinic and web-md both offer symptom checkers or you could just look up adult onset diabetes (it's the peds version of type 1) and smelly urine on either.

Hope this helps!
Blank
470885_tn?1326332637
I was thinking diabetes as well.  All the best to you and your son :)  I hope that you can get the answers you need soon.
Blank
1472092_tn?1286842470
Well, they FINALLY gave me an appt to his pedi. . . He will be seen monday morning. I'm bringing it up at his psych appt this afternoon as well. . .

Thank you both so much. . . I have my questions written down! I will update with what I find out.
Blank
470885_tn?1326332637
Please do let us know how the appointment goes - good luck on Monday!! :)
Blank
My daughter had very similar symptoms.

She started out being very thirsty ALL the time.  Then she would be sick.

She would seem to get better for a few months then relapse.

After browsing the web for a long time after she became sick again, I noticed a trend regarding Type 1 Diabetes and increased thirst.

I took her to her pediatrician and inquired as to he thought Type 1 could be a possibility and he dismissed my concerns and said she looked like she nay be getting a throat infection (she'd been vomiting!).

One week later she started vomiting and could not stop.  I took her to the ER where they found her blood sugar to be 964 (normal is 80-120 and coma is possible over 600)!  Type 1 was confirmed immediately.

PLEASE if your child is displaying these symptoms INSIST your doctor does a glucose test.  You can also buy a Relion glucose meter and test strips for $25 at Walmart.   No prescription is necessary!

You need only the meter,  strips,  alcohol wipes, and a little finger lancet to draw a small drop of blood.  Remember that 80-120 is a normal sugar (very slightly higher after a meal is normal), anything over 200... go to the doctor!  I wish every day I had known how easily I could have just checked her myself and helped her sooner.

SymptomsBy Mayo Clinic Staff

Type 1 diabetes signs and symptoms can come on quickly and may include:

Increased thirstFrequent urinationBedwetting in children who previously didn't wet the bed during the nightExtreme hungerUnintended weight lossIrritability and other mood changesFatigue and weaknessBlurred visionIn females, a vaginal yeast infection

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Prime-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-System-Blue/20752266?type=search

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Prime-Blood-Glucose-Test-Strips-50ct/20752265?type=search

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
Marathon Running Done Over Many Yea...