Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4 yr old, Strong urine smell, freq. thirst, tummy ache

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

For the past month or so my 4.5 yr old son's urine smells putrid. It smells like someone dumped ammonia in his diaper (he has asperger's and has decided diapers are his thing for now). For the past 2 weeks he's CONSTANTLY thirsty. He doesn't go without a cup in his hand, he is ALWAYS thirsty. The past week he's been complaining about his tummy hurting and the light hurting his eyeballs.

I have no clue what could be causing this, but we're military and in order for me to not have him pushed on the back burner I have to know what questions to ask because they give me 2 mins and then tell me tylenol is hte answer. (they kept telling me he was only developmentally behind slightly and I was exaggerating his behavioral issues until he SERIOUSLY hurt my 2 yr old daughter. . . Said he just needed more sleep and wanted me to drug him, it took a year to get him tested for spectrum disorders. ..) I need some clue as to what I'm looking at here.

So does anyone have any Idea what could be going on with my little man? Anyone have any suggestions abotu questions I should ask?
You may want to check symptoms for type 1 diabetes with the thirst issue as well as with the urine issue. I know from what I've learned excessive thirst is a major symptom of diabetes, but not sure about the urine smell. mayo-clinic and web-md both offer symptom checkers or you could just look up adult onset diabetes (it's the peds version of type 1) and smelly urine on either.

Hope this helps!
I was thinking diabetes as well.  All the best to you and your son :)  I hope that you can get the answers you need soon.
Well, they FINALLY gave me an appt to his pedi. . . He will be seen monday morning. I'm bringing it up at his psych appt this afternoon as well. . .

Thank you both so much. . . I have my questions written down! I will update with what I find out.
Please do let us know how the appointment goes - good luck on Monday!! :)