Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4-yr old girl refuses to go to school

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

4-yr old girl refuses to go to school

Hi, I'm having a very strange issue with my 4yr old daughter. She is generally very well-behaved girl, loved by everyone & is very intelligent too.

The only problem with her is she always cries while going to school. She did it when she joined the new school but stopped after a few days of non-stop crying at school. After that, she was quite happy going to school & enjoyed her days at school. Now, for the past couple of weeks, she has again started crying & refuses to go to school. Her teachers say she cries almost the whole time she is there. SHe laways asks her teacher to feed her or wants sit sit on her lap. She is constatnly seeking attention. When I go to pick her up, she seems to be in a great mood playing, chatting & ejoying with her friends. After coming home everyday, she promises that she won't cry next day & will go and enjoy her classes. But next morning she again starts crying & pleading.

She used to be a very happy child, very active and talkative too. But these days, she is sobby most of the time. my husband & I, are totally lost since we have tried every possible way to encourage her to go to school without any fear or reservations, but we seem to be failing badly.

Please suggest us a way out of this situation since its very painful to see our little doll in such a condition.
Are you talking about preschool?  In other words, it is optional?  If so, I would reconsider having her go right now, at least on the schedule you are having her go.  I have a son who was very sensitive about leaving me to go to preschool, and it took a lot of work, a change of preschools, me sitting in for a couple of days, a shorter day, and other reassurance before he was OK with it.  Don't make her go to a structured place five days a week, where she is expected to fall into line quickly, if it is not working for her.  Some kids cry for a few days and that is that, some never cry, but some cry and cry, and it is a signal that the fit is not right or the child is simply not ready.