Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
4yr old daughter has started holding poo in

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My 4 yr old daughter has been fully potty trained since 2.5years old.  In the last week she will not poo, she holds it in, cries when it is uncomfortable, but sontinues to hold it in, eventually she will poo herself.  We are going through underwear like nobody's business.  Any ideas why this will all of a sudden hapen and also what we can do to stop this and get her going to the toilet again? We are desperate, the tears and tantrums are making our house a very unhappy place to be :-(
Ahh, your poor child!  That is uncomfortable.  She could have severe constipation all the way to encropsis.  My own son has had been severely constipated himself . .. and even when he is going number 2 every day, he can still be constipated.  

It makes sense that if it hurts, she isn't going to want to go and because she may feel like she has to go a lot and doesn't, it is also hard to know when it is really coming.

My son has actually ended up in the hospital for impacted stool that was working like a bowel blockage.  Painful and serious.

What we did for our son that really helped was change his diet a bit.  I added in a cup of grape juice a day (hospital told me to do this), lots of fresh fruit, baby food prunes which we called 'purple pudding' and put in another dish (pretty tasty actually), lots and lots of water to keep him hydrated, smoothies, extra fiber.  Then we cut down on dairy.  My son eats a ton of dairy, so we cut down on milk, cheese and yogurt a bit.  He gets plenty but didn't have to have all he was taking in.  We make sure he gets plenty of exercise/activity to keep it all moving as well.  

We have a potty routine---  he sits every night with a glass of water, a book and tries to go.  

Some docs will have you end in a laxative or stool softener.  We didn't have to go this route and that is something to talk to your doctor about---  but plenty of folks do that.  

so, talk to her doctor and try the diet things above.  good luck (and it does hurt her a lot. :>(  )