Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
5 year ols son

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

5 year ols son

My son is 5 years old & absolutley refuses to sleep by himself it is my fault bc he has slept with me since day 1. Now I am almost 6 months pregnant and I need him to sleep alone. Its seriously driving me insane. He sleeps between me and his father and takes up all the room and its just getting rediculous. He is a crazy sleeper and im scared to turn his way at night fearing he'll kick me in my belly or something. The past 2 days he's been sleeping on a blow up mattress next to our bed & I have been laying him down to sleep for the past hour and he's just crying hysterically asking to sleep with me bc his father is working out at the moment. He wants me to hold is hand and its just seriously driving me to the point I want to scream on the top of my lungs punch a wall and just cry. Since this pregnancy I have absolutley no patience. Its really wearing thin. Advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
*5 year old son
Not much advice on this forumn I see.
Maybe try using a favorite movie or reading to him just explain to him that he's gonna be a big brother and he needs to be big boy for when new baby comes it will probably take a bit but id start now so when baby comes your not fighting him and you'll prob have to let him cry it out sometimes
Thanks ive been explaining that to him and he's actually slept alone all week (: he's cried it out a few time lol but its working im just being persistent
Good job mama! I have the same issue kinda, except my son is 2 and he won't go to sleep unless I lie beside him, then he sneaks into my room in the middle of the night.
Yess my son does the same ! 1 time this week I felt his little body squiggle next to me and I put him right back in his bed the night light was on and I reasurred it was on ans gave him his build a bear and we went back to bed (: thought he was going to put up a fight I was suprised !
My son also has to feel my body next to him while he's sleeping. It got to the point I wake up to go to the restroom in the middle of the night he's up lol I used to be a preschool teacher at his school and when he was 1 I would go into his classroom to chat with his teacher and I wouls whisper and hed wake up out of a deep sleepcrying dor me. Even if I walked passed his class talking hed wake up like he smelt me or somethin lol
Am having the same problem with my 3 year old. She will nap in her bed but at night she will not sleep unless its in my bed with me. I move her to bed and she wakes up. Am not sleeping as well and having her in bed makes it harder to sleep. I have trued the movie thing and as soon as its over she is in our bed.