Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
5yr old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

5yr old

Hi I am having great concern as my 5 year old daughter keeps taking about looking at other peoples body parts. I am not talking about the naked body, but she will sit at breakfast and tell us she is looking at (Mum or Dads) bum if we are walking around. Sometimes it gets embarassing as last week while a vistor was here she claimed to be looking at their "Boobs". All these occassions everyone is fully clothed. Is she just saying these things to get a reaction? We have had the talk to her and her brother about private parts are private and we don't talk about them or let people look at them, but you can talk to Mom and Dad about any questions. It really seems like its an attention thing as she will just come out and say it. Its only been going on for approx 2-3 weeks but we need to stop it asap. Any Ideas??
Hm  Well, I think I'd tell her we don't say "I'm looking at your boobs" and make it a rule.  Everyone glances and sees parts--  can't really stop that but you can tell her to not announce it.  :>)  good luck
Well if it seems like she's just wanting a reaction, I would ignore it. 100%. Be consistent. And I know it's hard, because it's embarrassing. And if you have a guest over, I would excuse myself and my guest to another room, and apologize on the behalf of the child and briefly explain that your child is going through a phase. Or you could warn your guest ahead of time, and that way you can all ignore the statement and continue on with your business. She is young and immature and soon, she will figure out that stating those things neither gets her anything, nor helps anyone else out in any way and she'll stop. My step son is currently going through something similar, we got a cat and he loves it but is too rough with it so it scratches him all the time. At first we felt terrible and gave him lots of attention and bandaids for the scratches. Well now, it's been 6 months and he knows that if he's too rough with the cat it will scratch him, so we've told him to either stop touching the cat, or to stop complaining when it scratches him. Now, whenever he gets scratched and looks for a reaction from us, we give him none. His scratches still get cleaned and all heal just fine. But I noticed he's harassing the cat a lot less.