Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Anybody please...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Anybody please...

My daughter turned one on the 5th of dec and she had her shots yesterday and the dr asked if she was on sippy cups yet..which she will use occasionally but shes not off the bottle, the dr said i need to throw them all away because they will rot her teeth. I tried and she screamed like she was dying. Any good suggestions on an easy transition?
I was lucky that my boys wanted to use a sippy cup.  I did throw away all the bottles in the house when they turned one (respectively).  Some days were harder than the others, but they get thru it.  I can tell you that if you don't do it you will be more sorry later.  I directly know someone that let their child have a bottle because "they screamed bloody murder" and that child has so many mouth issues now (some teeth did rot and they have "bottle mouth").  Go thru the pain now, so your child won't have to later.  

It's not easy, but it does get easier.  Just be strong, take the bottles away, she won't actually die so it's more drama (aka tantrum) than anything else.  

Good Luck...
While you are two are in the transition phase and if she still has a bottle here and there, be extra diligent in brushing her teeth and more often. Especially if she has a bottle/sippy cup before bed.......brush those pearly whites before she goes down for the night. That will help if you decide not to go "cold turkey" in taking the bottles away. My son (27 months) now loves brushing his teeth and wants to do it 5-6 times a day. "Oh" and Orajel has Training Toothpaste that is safe for the little ones to swallow (the boxes have Thomas The Tank Engine or Little Bear on the front). Good Luck!
Thank you both, we do brush Avas teeth 2 times a day, we have this gerber toothpaste that doesnt have flouride(sp) but i know i need to take it away but i gave in after 20 min of her crying and gave her a bottle...i cant get her to stick with any sippy cups and weve wasted money on so many diff kinds.
How about making it a big "celebration" about her being a "big girl" now and taking her to the store and having her pick out what sippy cup she wants. Really make it a big deal.  My boy loved his Thomas The Tank Engine sippy cup...not so much cuz it had Thomas on it but cuz he picked it out himself. Appeal to her growing independence. Does she like to drink "Mommy & Daddy's drinks?" I put soy milk in "my glass" with a straw and my son would drink from it thinking it was Mommy's drink. As for my suggestion about the teeth brushing. I didn't mean any offense. We brushed our sons teeth more than normal  when we didn't go cold turkey with the bottle. I felt like I was going totally against doctors orders by not taking them away all at once (Little ones do not like big change). I felt is was a good temporary compromise for his oral health until we got him totally off the bottle.
Get rid of the bottle!  Why do I say this? My daughter is 2 1/2 and on still takes the bottle at night...her front teeth have a little decay on them.  I have to bring her to the dentist to see what can be done.  I wish I followed the advice to get rid of the bottle a long time ago.  I wouldn't have this problem now!
Deb i didnt take any offense, i was just saying that we do brush her teeth. I have been giving her a bottle still, todays her bd party and i dont want her to be upset and not have any fun. I promised myself if she still isnt on a sippy cup completely by 1 and a half im throwing them all away. She doesnt do well on cups, she pours to much down and then spits it all out. Im pretty sure thats prob normal but im not washing 10 outfits a day.
Get those bottles out!!!!  My best friend let her daughter take a bottle until almost 3 I think anyway she has had to have root canals several teeth pulled and fake ones put in and god it was aweful to look at this little child going through mouth surgery.  I mean that's horrible.  It's horrible dealing with the screaming yelling kicking god knows what tantrums of a 1 year old but I didn't just throw out the bottles I started by only milk in the bottle juice in the cups only if you want juice or flavored milk etc. it must be in a sippy cup.  Then I went to only at night and in the morning you may have one when you wake up and one at bedtime.  Then it went to only water in a baby bottle.  Kids don't usually like water that much and it didn't take long.  Now I did each "phase" for a week to a week and a half depending on how well it was going.  I know it's hard but it's so worth it to rid them now.  I also nannied for a child and he took a bottle until he was SIX years old.  I found that to be rediculous but not my child.  So here it is,  try out as many as you can until you figure out what is going to work to Rid you of baby bottles.  It's so easy once we are off bottles LOL joke it's never easy!!  Good luck to ya!
Omg 6 years old? That is ridiculous. Theres no way there will be a bottle in here when shes 1 and a half. We bought yet another sippy cup 2day.The kinds with straws, shell atleast touch these but isnt sucking out of them. this is so extremely hard. I feel horrible because i know shes thirsty and even though every one says if shes that thirsty she will drink from the cup she doesnt. I know its my fault i get irritated very fast. thank you all for you input though.
When my son was 6mo, I eased him into using a sippy at lunch. I did this for about two month and then we added the sippy to supper instead of the bottle. I did this for three months and then I gave it to him at breakfast. I kept two bottles in the house and those were for naptime and bedtime only. After about two more months, I just got rid of the other two bottles and we have been happy sippy users since. I broke him of using the sippy to go to sleep by the time he was 13 months.
Note: Try starting her on a Gerber transition cup. There is a flow control so that she doesn't choke and the tip is soft and rubbery like the nipple of a bottle. There are also sippy cups that are soft without a seperate flow control. The flow is controlled by the concave make up of the 'nipple'. These are made by NUBY. I wish you the best of luck.
I was thinking over the weekend............how about only putting something she doesn't care for in the bottles and then only her favorites in the sippy cups??? The Gerber Transition Sippy Cups are good. They have a valve that fits in the "lid" and they still have to suck to get the fluids out just like a bottle. But the spout is sippy cup shaped.  Plus, the spout is soft, pliable and rubbery, very much like the feel of the nipple of a bottle. It's not plastic. They come 2 to a pack, 1 without handles and one with (easier for them to carry around). Also the handles can be moved into 3 different postions.
Forgot to add.....a perk is the Gerber Transition Cups seem to last forever. My son has had his since May 2006. The white valve will probably need to be replaced but Gerber sells replacements valves for not much cost. Check out their website, they do have a 24 hour Parent Hotline and they are so nice and helpful. Plus, they always send coupons for Gerber merchandise when you call ;-)
Actually we finally found something over the wknd that has worked. They are playtex cups with rubber straws that do not leak even when tipped over. She still wants her bottle but atleast i can get her to drink atleast a sip or 2 out of these. SHe wouldnt even touch the others. Thanks for thinking about it too!
I feel for you I am currently dealing with the same thing but my soon is 14 months I have broke him of all but 2 bottles a day It is hard because you do not want to see your child cry.We let him have one at bed and one at nap with sippy cup the rest of the day I plan on getting him off the nap bottle within a week and hopefully done with all bottles within the month.good luck
I know isnt it horrible? I know shes only crying because she wants the bottle but i feel like shes prob so thirsty and that im being a bad parent. I guess we gotta toughen up
They do have transition cups out there.  It sounds like she is using it for comfort and that gets tricky.  My opinion is I wouldn't do it cold turkey.  For my kids, I introduced sippy cups around 5 months old.  I would put water in it.  Than, around 10 months, I started putting their formula in it.  When I fed them solid foods, they only got the sippy, not the bottle.  When they turned one, I took the bottles away completely.  They still got their formular at bedtime, but it was out of a sippy cup.  They have a lot of great transition cups out there.  I wouldn't worry so much right now about this.  Make it a goal that by 15 months no more bottles.  My daughter just turned 4 and she still takes a pacifier at night time only.  It tore me up that she still had it and I tried EVERYTHING in the book to get her off of it.  My doctor got very upset with me (I got THREE professional opinions on this, as well) that I was doing this to her.  He said that it was traumatizing to her and as long as it wasn't in her mouth all day and it didn't affect her speech, than I should not worry about it.  I think that as moms, we get a lot of social expectations from other moms and it causes us AND our kids unnecessary anxiety.  As long as you are brushing her teeth and not allowing her to have it in her mouth as a pacifier, I don't see what the big deal it.  It's not like she's going to be 16 years old and still taking a bottle.  Relax - she's only young once.  Don't you wish that a bottle was the only thing it took to make you happy!  Obviously, you do what is right for you and your family and I wish you the best of luck.  I know the anxiety I had over the pacifier use - it made me feel like I wasn't doing something right as a mom.
Thank you so much. I know that she is using it for comfort. Because she will cry and when we give it to her she will just suck on it and not even tip it to get the milk out. She just wants to hold onto it. Its one of the hardest things i swear. But yes we are slowly trying to get it out of her life. And by 18 mos it will be gone completely!
I think you just need to rip the band aid off.  I know it's tough and I know they scream but it will be a day or two of that and then she WILL get over it and it WILL NOT harm her.  Save yourself the money later at the dentist and just go for it.

She isn't going to not drink if she's thristy enough so sippy cups full and ready and pitch the bottles.  Tell her it's time for other babies to use them and maybe even have her help you get rid of them as she is becoming a big girl.  That worked for me with soothers.  The worst thing to do would be take it away and give it back if she screams, that is only going to make the next time you try harder because she will scream harder knowing that last time you gave it back.  When you committ to doing this, DO IT.  That's the best advice and the sooner the better for your daughters health.  Remember that - for your daughter's health. :)
Just do it gradually. She's only a baby still and probably needs to suck for comfort still.
I started with sippy's during the day but kept the bottle for the first and last feeding of the day, my son still had his night time bottle until he was 2 1/2, his teeth are fine, problems occur when babies are sucking on bottles all day especially with juice in them.
Another point I'd like to add is that when a baby is breastfed we don't just one day quit and that's it, expect them to drink from a cup, we wean them gradually so why should we make a bottle fed baby quit bottles cold turkey, seems a bit cruel to me. Babies need to learn how to drink from a cup and that can take a bit of time too. Keep offering the sippy, she will get used to it in time, it may take a month, it may take a year either way she won't be taking her bottles to college with her LOL!
I had the same problem with my son and sippy cups. I couldn't find one that he would drink out of...especially the ones with the hard plastic spouts. He's 17 months old and still won't use that kind. After buying 5 or 6 different brands, I found the Gerber soft spout cups with handles. They say 6+ months on them and they come in bright pink, blue, and green. I tried the Nuby ones, they didn't work well either. He just couldn't seem to get anything out of them and then would throw them and refuse to try anymore. Now we use the take n' toss plastic cups with lids and straws. He's doing really well with them. We stopped using bottles at 15 months after his doctor told me that's it was time. It was hard for the first few days, but then he forgot about them. Put all bottles out of sight, because once they see one, that's it. It took my son about 6 weeks to start drinking milk again. I had kept him on bottles so long because he would refuse to drink it out of anything else but a bottle. If I put it in a sippy cup, he would refuse all sippy cups for the day thinking I was trying to trick him again. I told his doctor my concerns about him not getting enough milk, and she said eventually he would get over it and start drinking it again...and finally, he has.

It's so hard, I know! I work in an Elementary school in a low income area, and you wouldn't believe how many students I have whose teeth have rotted out from extended bottle and pacifier use. Even their adult teeth...it's sad.

Good luck! Stay strong!
WOWWWWWWWWW i don't know what you people are thinking.  I didn't have to rip the cup off ANY of my kids, and one of them is adhd and his bottle was his lovey.  It's a fairly simple process for god's sake, you say you get irritated easily?  Perhaps you're just too lazy to do it the right way like those other "parents" who just cold turkey those poor kids.  The process is fairly simple, introduce, (and i agree with the one who said juice in cuppy, water in bottle , milk in cuppy) ....when you do that, who's gonna want the bottle with no flavor?  Keep it going,   one meal/snack/bedtime at a time.
I forgot to ask--when did you introduce the sippy cup to her? My son was 6 months old when we started with watered down apple juice. Will she drink anything out of a cup?
What I did was at X-mas time I told my daughter that we were going to leave her bottles for the baby reindeer at the North pole she had no problem with that she even helped me find all of them, even ones I couldn't find that had gotten lost in the bottom of the toy box.  All gone in one night, she never asked for them again and switched to sippy's and bragged about sending them to Santa.

Same thing at Easter and her binky (pacifier)

If you want to get it done before a holiday.  Pick a day and mark it on the calender with a big star, get ballon's make it a party and also mark it for the next yr to re-celebrate one yr later as a big boy/girl.

Good luck hope it helps
BUY THE NUBY GRIPPER CUPS FROM WALMART!!  THEY ARE THE BEST FOR TRANSTITON!!!
You know I have always considered the drs opinion and then my chids reaction on things. I know the doctor knows the best for my child medically and I know the effects it will have on my child. If she just turned one try to give her the cup during the day and maybe give her the bedtime bottle.Dont put her to bed with the bottle. They also make sippie cups that you can use that have the soft nipple on the cup. That really worked for my last child to come off the breast. She fed off of me for almost 2 years. The doctor that i was seeing said she was fine. Maybe there is a difference in breast feeding and bottle feeding but the cups i used really helped. The cups are at walmart and NUK makes another one similar. I hope that helps you. I remember this one from not to long ago. It will get better. BRUSH HER TEETH AFTER EACH FEEDING!!!! She will be fine.