Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
At what age was your child potty trained?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

What age was your child potty trained?

Any particular method that you tried that worked?  Please share your story.

The reason I ask is that my daughter is 23 months old.  She will go on the potty sometimes, for a while about 5 months ago she went every day for 3 weeks and then has had basically no interest.  Wet or stinky diapers dont seem to bother her too much.  She does tell us after she makes a poo, but then when we say lets go change it, she changes her mind and says she is not stinky (but only cause she doesnt want to get a diaper changed).  I ask her if she wants to go on the potty, and if she does, then I let her sit there (but lately no successes) and if she says she doesnt, then I dont push it.  She is only 23 months but very smart.  Just wondering if I should get books about it to interest her, or encourage it more than I currently do or maybe bribe her ;) to do it or just leave it alone until she is ready.  

(ps.  i am expecting twin girls in August, so it would be nice to only have 2 in diapers instead of 3, but I want to do it the right way and not make too much stress)

Just curious to hear other moms stories.....
Hey Pookie,
I also had a very smart little girl who seemed ready then just stopped.  I know this might not work for everyone, but this is what I did.  I made sure that I had a week when I could just stay home.  Then I left her diaper off all day.  I dressed her including shoes & socks with no diaper .  At first she begged me to put her diaper on, I told her diapers are for bed time & if she had one on she had to go to bed.  As you can guess that did not make her happy.  She wet herself once & it ran down her leg into her shoes & she was disgusted.  After the second day she made it to the potty everytime.  
My daughter was about 25 months & I was prego with my son who was also born in August.
GOODLUCK

I was thinking about doing something like that anyways.  Especially since the weather should be nice.... I just bought some "big girl" Hello Kitty underwear. :)  Maybe I will try this out this weekend :)
Pookie,

My daughter was 3 years, 4 months when she finally decided to potty train. We had big girl panties, and books. She loved the Princess and the Potty, but no luck. She knew what to do, had actually done it many times, at least the peepee, but nothing consistent.

She even had some "friends" that were potty trained. But then we met a little girl that was also adopted from China, they were like long lost lovers when they met. We suggested one night that since the friend was potty trained we would give her the panties since out daughter didn't need them. She was in panties the next day, and even at night. We have only had a few accidents in three months. It is pretty much up to them to decide, you just have to keep giving them the opportunities.
My son was almost 3 when he decided he was ready. He basically potty trained himself with a few prompts from me....
Hi, my son is 2 and 2 months and i have been trying to get him to use the potty. i bought him some pull ups with his fav character and everything but he doesnt want to use it most of the time. before i had my son 2 months ago, my 2yr. old was wanting to constantly sit on his potty even though he didnt have to go. now that we have a baby that has to use the diapers, he has reverted back to using diapers as well. i am a stay at home mom and the days that my new baby isnt cranky, which is about 2 days out of the week, i get my son to put on either the pullups or underwear over his diaper. i havent bought any books or videos for him to watch or look at but i think i should so he can get motivated to use the potty. with a new baby its hard to find time to do things like that but its got to be done before he goes to school. i have just decided that other than getting potty training videos or books that i should just let it ride out and he will use it when he is ready. he is a smart boy and i trust him to know what he is doing. he follows both me and his daddy to the bathroom and watches what we do. i know that for some boys its easier to start sitting down peeing before he stands up to pee and he did that for a little while and then started to stand infront of the big potty before he takes a bath even though he doesnt have to pee.
also he tells us "i pee" when he already peed. he grabs his butt when he has to poop but when i offer him to sit on the potty then he refuses and just wants to poop in the diaper. we will eventually get there it just takes time and effort and a whole lot of patience. well i hope that i have helped with some advice in some way for you. and i also will take any suggestions that any of you may have.
I hate to say this but boys are just harder to potty train than girls.  
My son in 4 and is basically potty trained, but still needs to be propted when he starts the PEE PEE DANCE.  I won't say every boy, but most I have met are trained at a later age than most girls.  My Mom ran a daycare for 15 years and agrees.
My son flirted with potty training from the age of 2,  When he was 3 months shy of his 3rd birthday, he started going and never had another accident.  Everyone told me that he would do it "when he was ready" but I didn't believe them...I do now!  He did poo and pee at the same time and never even had a night time accident.  We used pullups for a couple of weeks to make sure but they were dry.  I now believe the others and advise waiting for the signal... :-)
A friend just told me that she potty trained her son (26 months) in three days using this method:  3daypottytraining.com