Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Baby Weight, Growth Issue?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Baby Weight, Growth Issue?

My daughter just had a follow up. She is 16 months old and she weighs 35.2lbs, height is 33" and head circumference is 51cm. I have a large head (24") and I have always had a large head. My daughter has been in for several blood draws, all of which are normal...Well, some came back as kind of low and such, but nothing that alarmed the endocrinologist. As my daughter has developed she has maintained the fact that she is always at 95% or above according to those stupid charts. And I say stupid because you cannot predict how one kid is going to grow more than another... My daughter has never had one body part shoot up several percentiles, nor has she had one slow down abnormally either.

But now after this follow up with our pediatrician, she wants us to do more blood work and an MRI for a pituitary glad issue.  Personally, I think it is just a bunch of run around and that we have a very health, active todder. My daughter, who's name is Kaydyn, is very active and has reached, if not excelled past each milestone. She talks, walks, sings, dances, knows her eyes, ears, mouth, nose, face, tummy, legs, toes, hands, fingers...all sorts of things...And also, they want to put my daughter to sleep for the MRI, isn't that unsafe for kid that young?

Anyone out there with a similar experience? Does my wife and I have anything to worry about?

Thanks!
BUMP
Bump
bump
Hi. I have a similar aged child, who is also above the average expectations.  I would be inclined to seek a second opinion as todays medical institutions are very misleading and offer completely inaccurate progress charts for children.  Please check out the following detailed, as these may help you to query your concerns and question the medics.  Also look at your families history as this will determine much of what will apply to growth and expectations.

EPICure Study at www.epicure.ac.uk

Centile Charts and Assessing Growth - these are what your Health Visitor goes by...not at all accurate but should only be used as a guideline..

Please also check out the following link for more info:

http://www.babyworld.co.uk/information/baby/howdoesyourbabygrow.asp

I also have a 16 month old boy whos is 30 lbs an 35in tall but his head is at 21.5 " his doctor is sending him to uk childrens hospital for testing. My son Eyan is also very active and is also very smart he is doing every thing he is suposed to he even started walking at 9 1/2 monthes old, but it is better get get the test and make sure if there is or isnt something wrong,