Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Bed Time for a 4 year old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Bed Time for a 4 year old?

Hi I was just wonder what is the average time you should put a 4 year old to bed
hi,It depend on the child that when he woke up in the morning. But the average and good time is between 7pm to 9pm. I advise that a 4 year boy should get 13 to 14 hr sleep and also the nap in included with total hrs a day. hope this answer help you.
As long as a child gets enough total hours of sleep, when to put them to bed and get them up will depend largely on the schedule of the family.  If everyone gets up early to go to work or school, so should the smallest child, and he or she should go to bed correspondingly early to give enough hours of sleep in the 24-hour period.  If there is a couple with only one younger-than-school-age child, they could have the child up later and let the child sleep later if it would mean seeing Daddy (or Mommy) when he or she gets home at night, and an earlier schedule would mean the child never would.
I agree that the bed time should be best for the family in question.  My children went to bed on the late side and slept in and took naps.  But Daddy got lots of time with them in the evening this way and we did not have to go out early in the morning so it worked for us.  Others that had early morning schedules would not like our schedule at all.  

My kids at 4 got 12 to 14 hours total a day (bedtime and naps) and I think that is the norm.  

And if a child seems cranky-------  well, more sleep is in order and then you "tweak" the schedule.  
Sorry... it came out longer than I expected my reply to be...

My son is a little over 2 and he has had a bed time since he was 6months old. I started it much earlier than that though but he got the idea and routine at 6months.  Best thing I ever did for him.  His bed time has always been between 7-9 And I have such a wide range because it can be thrown off by daily activities or events going on.  But if you are just starting out with the bed time keep it consistent pick a time and every day lay him/her down until they get the idea that bed time is bed time.  Sometimes I lay my son down and I hear him in there talking to himself  lol but I leave him so he feels comfortable to be alone as well.  He is in a crib still so its easier leaving him.  If I might ask does your child sleep with you or in his/her own bed?  From seeing a difference between kids who sleep alone and kids who sleep with the parents the bed time idea is out the window cause they will wake up when you come to bed or you will be forced to lay there until they fall asleep.. all the other replys have great points look at your schedule and see what would best fit for you.  There is no wrong answer for bed time if it fits in your routine.  But I made mine between 7-9 so I have about a couple hours for laundry or dishes or  cleaning and when those things are done, just relaxing.  

Good Luck and I hope it all works out.  It does take a lot of consistency so be ready for some nights he/she might fight to go to bed.

I know I already wrote a lot. but here is a tip that worked for me.  I know the age difference in which I am giving an example to might work differently for you but here is what I did.

When I started my son was about 3months old.  I would give him a bath and warm him up give his milk burp and immediately put him to bed.  Even if he was waking up every 2 hours it was right to bed.  At first because I was working at the time I would lay him in bed around 11pm and then as he would adjust to that I would creep it up to 10:30 he would adjust then 10 and so forth and he would adjust to the times in about a week maybe 2 weeks tops and eventually got him to the 7 mark but one thing I did was kept it same routine dinner, clean up, then bath (I always try and send my son to bed about an hour after he has dinner just so his body has time to absorb food and kill some calories, im weird like that LOL) But after bath get him changed and in bed.  Now I can just tell him its bed time and he goes in there a good 90 percent of the time gives his kisses to his dad and runs in there.

Bed time routine is the best thing you can do for your child and not to mention your self.  Cause you can at least at the end of your day relax for a half hour or an hour or however long you feel like and gain some sanity back LOL