Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Bottles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Bottles

My daughter is almost 17 months and im due with another in may. So we have decided to try to remove her from the bottles...and soon. I have tried a sippy cup but she just makes them spill everywhere and she likes a bottle before bed...which turns into a meltdown if its not in a bottle. Any suggestions?
I would suggest that you buy the sippy cups that are spill proof.
She is old enough that you can stay strong.  It's easier said than done but you have to be the one that wins the battle.  Offer her the sippy cup, do not give in for the bottle.  It sounds harsh but she will get thirsty enough that she will drink from the sippy cup.  Once you get past the intitial bullheadedness of a 17 month old she will give in.  You need to get this done before the baby comes.  She may regress a little once the baby comes but with positive encouragement she should be ok.  Everytime she drinks from the sippy cup give her positive comments such as "wow, you are such a big girl".  Make it an achievement.
Good Luck
We weaned making it a slow process.  It's so traumatic to suddenly make a change and at this age bottles are often a soothing thing for them.  I started by keeping a sippy cup of water around all the time, with easy access to it.  I didn't push getting rid of the bottle, but instead added the sippy cup.  I find trying to force things just makes it harder.  I then slowly replaced a bottle at a time with sippy cup.  The nighttime bottle was the last to go.  It took some time, but made the transition easier on him.  I also agree with the positive encouragement aheal mentioned.  Everytime he would use his sippy, we would clap our hands and make a big fuss.  Like every small child, praise is so important to them.   Good luck to you.
I did the same as adgal.... until my son only had a bottle at night then he lost interest in that too and now I just give him some milk in a cup before bed just like I would do the bottle (he is now 16 months old and hasn't had a bottle in a month or two).  My niece is 23 months old and still on the bottle and throws a fit everytime she doesn't get one.  I bought her some cool cups for christmas with her favorite charactors on them.  My sister is going to introduce them to her and tell her it's time to be a big girl an they are going to go throw the bottles away together and use her new cups.... fingers crossed for her and you as well :)