Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
CHILD NOT GOING TO DAYCARE OR PRESCHOOL BEFORE KINDERGARTEN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

MY 2 KIDS HAVE NEVER BEEN IN DAYCARE. I HAVE FAMILY THAT WACHES THEM. I WAS WONDERING WILL IT AFFECT MY KIDS WHEN THEY START KINDERGARDEN IF THEY HAVE NO PRESCHOOL OR DAYCARE EXPERIENCE. WILL THEY BE BEHIND FROM NOT KNOWING EVERYTHING OR WILL KINDERGARTEN TEACH THEM EVERYTHING THEY NEED TO KNOW.
THere never used to be Preschool ,children just went to Kindergarten , it is a better thing if it is possible for the Children to be at home with their Moms., preschool seems to be the answer for Moms who work a lot but very definatly the best way is for thyem to be Home being cared for by parents in a ione to one Family enviroment. They wont be behind very often its the opposite as I assume you are playing and reading and doing a lot of activitys with them,when they are older you will be glad you had them at home with you in these formative years.
I agree that preschool is a recent trend. When I was growing up moms stayed home with the children until they started public school. There wasn't many private schools and they were for the wealthy. However, times have changed and many households have two income earning parents or sadly, only one parent so staying home is a thing of the past for many of us. In addition to the demand of parents to both work, the demands of knowledge has also greatly increased for our children over this same period of time.

If you have someone watching him make sure that they are spending time talking to them, teaching them and of course playing with them. Children get so much from just talking to them. I have a friend whos son is not in daycare and as a family they are quiet people and their son has a very limited vocabulary compared to many children his age. I try to spend at least an hour or two a day with no interuptions looking at books, flash cards, drawing, etc. Children really enjoy this and it teaches them so much! Also, if the TV has to be on, choose educational programming that is at their level. My son watches Noggin TV and he learns so much from Blues Clues, Dora and Diego. In fact he knows quite a bit of spanish because of these programs.
I think staying home with your children or having family watch them can be the most secure feeling, but with the demands on society to excel in education, you want to set your child up to succeed once they start school. The more time spent now on numbers, letters, etc the easier that transition will be for them when the time comes.  
Hey there im in that same postion i want my 41/2 year old boy to go to pre-k He is a very smart kid he could go to kidergarden he is so smart He is at home with me 24/7 I helped him learn counting to 20,his colors,ABC"S i want him to go to learn how to get along wit other kids his age and to get detached from mommy I live in Ga and they say he will be behind But i think they are wrong that is why we send them to kindergarden so they can learn that is their job to teach our kids RIGHT. Well if they say he will be behind i wouldn't worry with it  I would just let him go to kindergarden
Ask yourself this question - "will it matter when my child reaches high school?"  
I doubt that going to pre school will make any differance him being "Behind at Kindergarten,' he can learn from you or other Family at home infact more as very often there isnt too much time with all the other children to give any one to one care,and its too young for Teaching its what it says ," Day Care"and Pre school pretty much is a similar thing, My Daughter Home schooled all four of her children and the only thing that concerned me was the socialisation, you can fill that by trips out and friends in.