Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Can a 5 year old be overly affectionate?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can a 5 year old be overly affectionate?

I have three children, aged 1, 3 and my oldest son has just turned 5. I adore all of them. They are all very different. My oldest is very affectionate toward those he loves, with words as well as actions and is forever complimenting his peers if they are dressed well, smell good or look beautiful. My middle child does not like to be kissed, but he is full of fun and jokes, so I tickle him when I put them to bed instead. Since they were all babies, I would kiss them on the chin, cheeks, forhead, nose and mouth when saying goodnight and we would call it a kiss attack. My son then started kissing me on the cheeks, and has been copying my behaviour of affection toward them. I am openly affectionate toward my husband in front of them with hugs and my son always comes to us and wants me to hug him too. He has a jealous look about him in an innocent way if that makes any sense.  For the record, my husband is not the affectionate type toward them. He responds more than he innitiates. To get to the question... is there a point at which I have to alter my behaviour as they grow up so that their behaviour is not seen as infatuation or inappropriate by others. My husband looked strangely at me the other day when my son came to me in the kitchen and gave me a kiss attack. I almost felt guilty...I am not too sure if I have been over loving toward them. Or is he just copying me because his love language is similar to mine? Can a 5 year old be overly affectionate...for his age...or is it his age that makes it innocent...