Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Can a 5 year old be overly affectionate?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

I have three children, aged 1, 3 and my oldest son has just turned 5. I adore all of them. They are all very different. My oldest is very affectionate toward those he loves, with words as well as actions and is forever complimenting his peers if they are dressed well, smell good or look beautiful. My middle child does not like to be kissed, but he is full of fun and jokes, so I tickle him when I put them to bed instead. Since they were all babies, I would kiss them on the chin, cheeks, forhead, nose and mouth when saying goodnight and we would call it a kiss attack. My son then started kissing me on the cheeks, and has been copying my behaviour of affection toward them. I am openly affectionate toward my husband in front of them with hugs and my son always comes to us and wants me to hug him too. He has a jealous look about him in an innocent way if that makes any sense.  For the record, my husband is not the affectionate type toward them. He responds more than he innitiates. To get to the question... is there a point at which I have to alter my behaviour as they grow up so that their behaviour is not seen as infatuation or inappropriate by others. My husband looked strangely at me the other day when my son came to me in the kitchen and gave me a kiss attack. I almost felt guilty...I am not too sure if I have been over loving toward them. Or is he just copying me because his love language is similar to mine? Can a 5 year old be overly affectionate...for his age...or is it his age that makes it innocent...
i have a 5 yr old and sometimes he likes a cuddle, i think its because he has a ten month old baby bro n feels a bit left out, dont forget one time before our other children came along they the 5 yr old were centre of attention.

i wouldnt tell him to stop being affectionate because it may confuse, hes just a very loving child n likes feeling loved n making you feel loved, i kiss n hug my boyf when my kids r around but it stays at that with no intamicey. kids copy us, so if we show love n affection then they will as they grow.  

i would rather my son grew up very affectionate than an unloving person who showed no feelings, you got three lovely kids let them be :)
Thanks. I needed to hear a normal answer. They are wonderful and the world does need a few men that adore the women in their lives.
Don't stop, he is probably just copying ur actions and feels left out a lil. I have 3 sons and all are very different. My oldest is 6 and he is just like ur son. He loves to hug and we do the exact same kiss except we call it the daddy kisses. He will do it to me when I least expect it. It is good for me and him. I know he loves me and he knows I love him. There is nothing wrong with being Over affectionate. Sounds like ur son is a sweetheart. Ur husband shouldn't make u feel guilty because ur son wants to show u affection.