Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Child won't leave parents alone!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Child won't leave parents alone!

My 5 year old still won't leave me alone; she is constantly wanting to "Play."  I am a stay at home mom and my husband works from home, so if it isn't me, it's him she's after.  She thinks the world revolves around her and we just can't get her to understand she needs to play by herself sometimes.  She gets these big puppy dog eyes and gives us this look like she just had her whole world taken from her.  It's heartbreaking for us.  We feel quilty and manipulated!  HELP!!!
I have had the same problem with my twins. The thing that worked the best for me was to tell them I love them very much, but some time as an adult I need some time to my self. And explain to her that she needs to do things by her seff now that shes a big kid (the big kid thing work wonders for kids her age) It takes consistency  but she will get the hang of it. also Im pretty sure she has other kids to play with, but that also helps a big deal with the whole independence thing.
Thank you, we'll try that!  Unfortunately, we live in a rural community, and there are no other kids around us.  However, she does get to play with one of her pre-k classmates about once a week, so that is nice.  Today, she is at a church all-day camp with 2 of her friends.  It'll be quiet around here.  Laundry or sleep??? ;o)

Thanks again!
Enjoy it all it passes too quickly, shes 5 so explain to her you will have playing time and then you and Daddy are busy, have the playing time and leave her be, if she still pesters you dont respond neither of you, just ignore her, the after you have had your time do something else with her. She will get into the Habit of sharing your time but be firm her time and your time.
Thank you so much; you're so right!!!  If you don't mind, I'd like to share "Angel Face's" story.  It is such a blessing.  Our precious daughter is actually my great-niece whom we adopted.  We tried to have children, but couldn't, having had 2 miscarriages and then I had to have a hysto in 03, the year Angel Face was born.  Her birth-mother preferred to be a drug addict and convict, as did her birth-father.  Her grandfather (my brother) has never been responsible for anything in his life which explains alot about her birth-mother.  He didn't want to raise her, my parents wanted to, and had custody of her, but being in their mid 70's, they knew that as much as they wanted to, they couldn't.  After I met her, we fell immediately for each other (she even started calling me mama; I didn't know what to say!) and then I came home and asked my husband if maybe we should adopt her.  He said, let's pray about it,; we did, twice, and, even without meeting her, he said YES!  We started the adoption in November, the same month I had gotten pregnant with the twins we lost (in 1995), and the adoption hearing was held in August, the same month the twins would have been born.  9 months.  She is our Blessing from God!  We've had her since she was 18 months old!  ;o)  She knows she is adopted and that she has 2 older half-brothers who are with their birthfather's brother and his wife  (I suspect drugs), and a younger half-sister (who is with her birthfather's mother.  But as it turns out, that birthfather (#3) was in a self-inflicted car accident after having a fight with said birthmother a month before the baby was born.  So, this poor lady lost her only son, and now, as the baby is growing, it is very obvious the birthfather was NOT her son.  Despite the obvious, she just that loves baby girl beyond anything else.  She's my age, single, and is a great Christian.  My husband, I and our daughter will be meeting her and the baby later this month.  "Angel Face" will get to meet her half-sister!  She's excited!  She understands she can't see her half-brothers; not so much because I won't allow it, but because their foster mother (they haven't been officially adopted - we feel it's because they get money from the state) isn't very nice and has been very crude in the past and I don't want "Angel Face" to be exposed to that.  After they are all adults, maybe then.  We pray for all of them, even she does.  Meanwhile, we're have enjoyed and are enjoying having her as our daughter!!!  Everyone comments on how happy she is!  We Thank God for her every day!
What a wonderful story this is,thank you for sharing it,how this little girl is getting to have this great life with people who truly care for her, also I can see how it might have turned out for her,You cant help but go from strength with her as she grows up,I can imagine her excitement and yours at meeting a half sister, Let us know how she progresses, this is one of those wonderful success storys .
I sure will!!!  I will probably start a new thread; I'll copy and post our two posts and call it something happy, as I'm sure it the meeting will be.  By the way, interesting note: my husband's name means "Leader", my name means "Shelter" and her name means "Happy" and "Beautiful".  I going to write a children's book about it all; it will be my second children's book, the first one I self-published, I'll probably do the same with this one.  Go to Trafford.com and read all about on-demand publishing.

Also, I've added you as a friend!