Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Dating and a toddler
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Dating and a toddler

I am currnetly dating a 23yr old single mother with a 17month old child.  We have been dating for seven months and all this time I have been part of the childs life.  The mother was always weary of the danger of me forming a relationship with her child and then leaving; this act could harm the child she says.  I have recently been taken out of the childs life due to this (although I think it is too late since me and the child have formed a relationship).  I believe that my influence in the childs life is good and adds stability (me and the mother do not fight, I greatly respect her).  However, she thinks that if we ever broke up that the child could be traumatized by this (foming an attachment and then losing it). People that I have asked say that they think it is better for the child to have a good male influence in her life than the vacancy of not having a father figure.  I was hoping that you could steer me in one direction or the other by expert advice and perhaps you could also cite some sources of further information.