Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Daughter is pooping in panties all the time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

I am extremely frustrated right now.  My daughter is almost 3 and a half and we have been potty training her for a few months now.  She only wears pull ups at night.  She has only had a few times when she has pooped in the potty.  All the other times have been in her underwear.  I am so tired of having to clean her underwear all the time.  It is not a fun job!  

She does have a few days when everything is fine and she keeps her pants clean and dry.  But she doesn't poop in the potty on those days.  I believe there were a few times where she wouldn't poop for a week so she was constipated.  We tried natural food laxitaves like apple juice and high fiber foods.  

I feel like we have tried everything.  We have done fun rewards, stickers, candy, praising and dancing.  I have even gotten to the point where I get angry when she has an accident.  I am so ready to put her back in diapers.  But I feel that she has still come pretty far since she is sort of "pee trained".  She still pees in her pants, but not very often.

ANY advice would be great!!  Thanks...
I have a 4.4 year old boy who never has any accidents.  He goes to the toilet to pee but will not poop.   He will want a diaper for poop.   I have been trying for over a year with no luck.  So be patient with your daughter she is still young.  Maybe she is just not ready.  I think you should just back off and she what happens.  My problem is a little different bec my son is older.  There are a lot of kids with this same issue.  I need some help with my son too.  
Does she have special underwear like Dora or Elmo? Maybe tell her you'll have to throw away her special underwear if she poops in it.
my step-daughter is two and a half. When did you start potty training her. You should always start when they are two. She has been really easy with me. We just started putting her in pull-up. She is doing really well, shes going almost everytime we take her to the potty.
I dont want to put her in underwear until she is barley peeing in her pull-ups, although I tell her her pull ups are underwear it works.
She doesnt yet have the idea of knowing when she has to go just when I take her she does.
When she says she does she never has to go.
I have never done potty training before (at lest like this) it is all new, but I think whatever I am doing I am doing a good job. Sooner would have been better that way you wont need to feel like you need to rush things since she is almost 4 (but you didnt say)
So I usual always go with her to the potty, and she has her own potty, which I think she is more comfortable with that using the big toilet just yet.
As well when I go with her I usual pee with her as well. I talk with her, let her have a couple of books with her. Beleive me sometimes I am in there for 10-15 minutes. But she poops and its great! She was here for a week and she had two accidents in her "underwear" the second was actually my mistake because I didnt take her when I usual do because I was distracted! Woops.
I suggest you just stick with the pull-ups tell her its underwear, be pasient with her. I get upset sometimes whe she especially poops, but you need to be cailm and explain to her alot, and when  you take her to the potty tell her she did a good job, and when she does start to poop like I said you will need to give her sometime on the potty.
I suggest if you are putting her on the big toliet, dont give her a potty.
Oh and if she is not pooping, she might not be consipated, she just might not feel comfortable being in the panties yet.
Still with pull-ups all the way! Until it really improves. Oh and either way you are going to have to clean her poop outta her potty, but thats better than cleaning her underwear than having to put it the wash too.
Oh also I let her take off her dirty "underwear" and put it in the garbage herself and pull down her pants. Sometimes she asked to pull them up, but you always have to help in the end lol.
Let me know if this helps best of luck with her
oh when I said if you are putting her on the big toliet, dont. Get her her own potty.
Also so you can pee with her (if you havent)
wow this was actually from a while ago didnt realise lol. well I hope everything is going well now!
You know at this age our toddlers know exactly what they are doing.  They are far more clever then we give them credit for.  My son was the exact same way with pooping in the potty.  He would pee in the potty but when it came to pooping there was no chance.  One day I finally gave in and told him that for every poop that he does in the potty I would give him 5 chocolate treats (M&M's) from that moment on he has not pooped in his pants again.  As a matter of fact he tells me how many treats I owe him as he is sitting on the potty pooping.  I don't know if this helps but it worked for me.  Giving treats is only short term until they get the hang of pooping on the potty regularily.  Once the get into pooping on the potty they don't really go back to pooping in their pants unless something serious or life changing happens to them.