Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Diapers to pull ups..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Diapers to pull ups..

Just wondering when others made the transition of diapers to pull ups?  I have tried them and they seem to be far less absorbent and more likely to leak.  Seeings how my 2 year old is not overly interested in the potty yet, I have stayed with diapers.  However, as much as I don't want to push him to potty train, I certainly don't want to discourage it yet either and wondered if pull ups are now a better choice?  As always, I appreciate the input.  Thanks!!
Oh, I remember pull ups.  They DO leak.  My thought is if a child isn't really using them yet and full blown still wetting and going big potty (I love to use the technical terms!) in them-----  then, I'd rather that they do it in a diaper.  When he is more interested in potty training-----  then you can pull them back out.

I'll tell you-----  my second child had no interest in potty training forever.  I got a little embarressed because I felt like he SHOULD be potty trained ---  I put him in pull ups which he did not pull up and down.  Ugh.  Then when he got potty trained for real---  he pretty much went straight to underwear.  He was dry at night pretty much right away after potty training but would put him in a pull up to be safe for a bit after that.  

Do what is easiet for you----  I didn't like the leaking!
Thanks hon.  HOnestly, I should just pm you I think..ha.  He shows interest some days, but his big thing is really to sit on the potty and still go in his diaper.  So I'm not fighting him.  He is barely 2, so not concerned yet and I hate those pull ups!  I just feel kind of odd sometimes because it seems like most of the kids in his daycare group (18 months to 2 1/2) are now in pull ups, even though I know that only maybe 1 or 2 are using the potty regularly.  So I thought maybe I was doing something wrong?  Ha, I worry about the strangest things sometimes...
Oh no.  Parenting is like a sport sometimes or like a club.  You don't want to be the one with the kid in diapers when others are in pull ups as IF that says something about you or your child!  I had many moments like that.  My younger boy really held off on potty training----  to where I had my moments of being a bit embarressed or feeling inadequate or like a .. . . sniff sniff . . . failure.  Or worse, like my precious baby was one.

I did my best to just do what worked best for my kids and myself and tried not to look around too much.  Having my older son was a 'humbling' experience at times.  Having a child with a delay, I've gotten used to being a bit different from others in both how I parent and what my kid is doing.  

Anyway, potty training is one of those things that parents get really worked up about and compare to others about----  either feeling really awesome that THEIR child is surpassing others OR really bad that their child isn't.  And then once they are potty trained . . . and a little time passes, you forget all about how important and stressful that process was . . . and move onto other things to worry about!  

Ah.  parenthood.  I sound like I don't love it . . . but you know I do!
Reading your response made me smile a bit.  There is a couple a few doors down with a little girl 3 weeks older then Ryder.  It's actually nice to hang out with them as the parents are the same age as us (old..lol).  Anyway, this past summer I was hanging out with Ryder in the backyard kicking the ball around, etc. and my neighbor and her little one dropped by to play.  Mom mentioned that they had spent the morning potty training.  The kids were only 18 months old, so I hadn't even really thought about it yet.  But I still wonder..what do you do to spend an entire morning potty training?  But I know I often feel parents with kids Ryders age seem to want to compete or something?  And yep, it sure can make you feel inadequate at times.  Oh well, I like your attitude and I refuse to be drawn into those little competitions.  Thanks as always!!  
Overnight pull-ups can help with leaking.

Pull-ups in my experience do not help with potty training but with self-help skills of taking the pull-up on and off like a panty.  I used training panties for actual training.  Other products that helped were:
1. Once Upon a Potty Video (I sat Anna every morning on her potty while she was watching this video).  She LOVED it and it definitely helped with patience.
2. Once Upon a Potty book.  Anna LOVED reading it even after she was potty trained.
3. There is also Once Upon a Potty doll w/ potty but it was not helpful for us.  Other kids who like pretend play like it more.  I bought Potty Bootcamp which was interesting read but I did not follow it.  
Good luck!!!!