Do toddlers have nightmares yet?
I am wondering if anyone else has had their young toddler (almost 18 months) experience nightmares?  It's not night terrors as usually when I get into his room, he is standing and alert, just really upset.  It starts with a big screech, like something has frightened him.  I go in, pick him up and it usually takes a few minutes to settle down on my shoulder. Typically getting him back to sleep is really tough.  Last night it happened about 3am, and he was awake (even lying down with me) until almost 6am.  He got up at 9, and is of course overtired and cranky now.  A nightmare is the only thing I can think of..he isn't sick or anything, no fever, isn't showing any signs of teething, but something is clearly upsetting him.  I did some reading but everything says they don't really have nightmares at this age.  Any ideas for me?
Yes! I totally believe that they can have some form of nightmare when sleeping. My daughter will be 21 months on the 19th and this has happened to her a couple of times.
Usually when she gets up in the middle of the night she will call for me from her crib and I will go and put her back to sleep. She's not crying or really upset.
However, I would say about 3 times in the past 6 months she has woken up screaming and crying and is just hysterical and wants to be comforted. I really believe these 3 episodes were because of a nightmare because what else could it be?
Thanks so much.  I am sure that is what is going on.  It's not every night,  but has happened a few times now and it's exactly as you describe.  Normally I hear him waking up slowly...a bit of noise and gets more active, but this is a scream out of no where and crying hysterically.  My understanding is that with night terrors they are still asleep and he is not.  He is wide awake when I go in.  I just can't think of any other explanation.  And it does take quite some time to settle him completely.  Thanks again, I appreciate your comments.