Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Does parenting ever get easy with a defiant child....HELP!!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

I have been reading books, talking to my therapist and talking to my sons therapist and teacher.  I do not know what to do with him anymore.  He has been hitting, lying, stealing, putting himself in dangerous situations.  I can't even put him on time out because he will not sit and if I try to keep putting him back he turns it into a superhero game with me as the bad guy.  Tonight again I had to hold him in my lap and try to calm him down.  He hit me and elbowed me in the face trying to get away from me.  I cannot hold him all night.  Then I tried to ignore him and not reward his behavior with a reaction, but then he started hitting me and pinching me to get to me.  I was able to stay calm and told him to stop or there would be no bedtime snack, but he went without his bedtime snack and had another blow up.  I am so depressed, hopeless, afraid, angry, anxious,frustrated, helpless, just so many things that I just cannot deal with.  I love him so much but what can I do for him?  I also have back problems and I have been in so much pain from trying to hold him through a struggle that I just want to take more pain meds then I am perscribed.  I will not, I know that would not help, but I want to.  His birthday is tuesday and I am dreading it.  Is he ganna be good or bad?  Do I take away his birthday presents if he is bad or do something else?  I just don't know anymore.  Please someone give me some advise and words of encouragement to get me through this without cutting or something else.  I haven't cut in years but I really want to right now to the point that I have tried the ice cube and the rubberband.  Please help  

I am not the right person to advise you on handling the challenges with your son as I have not been in your shoes.  I will say though, that you sound very overwhelmed (and probably for good reason).  Others will come on who can talk more about your child, but I worry for you.  When you talk of cutting, or taking too many pills, that is a very big red flag.  I know you are in therapy, but it sounds like you need additional support.  Are you getting respite care?  Is there someone in your life that can be there to support you through this tough times?  Please make sure you are getting that - parenting isn't easy under the best of circumstances, and mom needs to make sure she is taking care of her as well.  All the best.