Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Excessive eye rubbing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Excessive eye rubbing

My child has begun to rub his eyes excessively.  Nothing is in them, no redness,e tc.  Should I be worried.  Soes anyone have experience with this?
This could be many things - how about allergies for a start?
No known allergies...he also squints at times and is sometimes sensitive to light.  My next step is for a vision check...he is just SO uncooperative when it comes to drs (he's 2.5 yrs). I am not sure how necessary it would be for him to cooperate with the exam.   He can see things from across the room, even small objects.  I also cannot correlate the eye rubbing to a particular time of day or event.  Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.  
I just had my three year old with an eye problem he would tell us his eyes hurt--I couldn't see anything in them they were not red and it was not all the time.  I tried eye drops in his eyes--per dr.s recommendation his whole eye turned red and got puffy so of course I really got concerned went down in ten minutes--got him the next day for the doctor to look at. He has blocked oil ducts---cure hot compresses on the eyes three times a day.  the doctor said about the eye drops that he was allergic to the compostion and to get the eye drops made without preservatives......So long story short you can use warm wash cloths on the eye three times a day and see if that will help..it does with my little guy.
We have the same exact situation with our litte guy who's 3 1/2. The rubbing has been getting worse and i can't correlate it to anything. Allergies? Perhaps. Dryness? Maybe - as we live in Colorado. He's also highly resistant to doctors and I dread the thought of having an eye test. My husband is convinced that his eyes are sensitive to light, dust, scents because he has the same thing with his eyes. I'm hoping that's the explanation but I would hate to overlook something else that might be happening. I'd love to know if you've had any progress with your situation.
Did your sons condition start as soon as you started putting the heat on in your house?  What type of pillow and bedding does he use?  It sounds like dry eyes or allergies  or both. Do you live in a dry climate? Doe he drink water in between meals??
Do you have a big screen TV?  That can irritae young eyes.  All that brightness
Do you have a big screen TV?  That can irritate young eyes.  All that brightness