Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Excited hand twitching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Excited hand twitching

My four year old gets really excited when he is playing or sees something he likes and starts to open and close his hands rapidly. This only happens when he is excited.  He has no problems with speech, memory, any other neurological disorder.  I was wondering if this was just a phase, a release of built up excitement, or something else.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!
I've heard several parents comment that their young child flaps his/her hands or something similar when excited. These children are not diagnosed with and disorders. My son did this often, it is now rare but he still does once in a while (he's almost 7 now). He had one friend who I remember did it too, in when they were in preK together.

I tend to think it's just excited energy that they channel in that way which just is different than most. Think about the expression "jumping up and down with excitement" which brings to my mind over excited preschoolers. My son was never been one to jump up and down in excitement, I presume because he always focused hard on whatever excited him, and for him jumping would disturb that focus. So the energy channeled into his hands. Even adults jump up and down on the game shows when they get super excited. And there are some children and adults who scream or screech. Personally I prefer the quiet hand flapping. ;-)
Our eldest grandson does this when he is excited.  He is not very athletic so "jumping up and down" when he is excited doesn't seem to work for him.  I don't think it is a "phase" or a "neurological disorder", just his way of releasing his excitement.  As the above poster said - "I tend to think it's just excited energy that they channel in that way which is just different than most".  Next time, smile and enjoy your son demonstrating his happiness and excitement.  
My son is constantly shaking his hand.  It becomes significantly worse when he has a toy in his hand.  He does not have any disabilites and is a pretty healthy child.  I am worried that this wont go away because it seems to be getting worse.  I took him to a behavioral specialist and his opinion is that he will grow out of it.  Does anyone have an experience with this.  His hand shaking isnt like a twitch, its more of a shake(think of the shake one does when water is on the hands and we shake them to get them off)  Any feedback would be great!
My son is 5 years old, he has flapped his hands since I can remember, he also opens his mouth and jumps up and down. I took him to see the doctor who told me this is just the way he channels his adrenaline and that it is nothing to worry about.
I use to worry and get embarrased about this but now I have come to except it. Although people stare when he does this at least I know there is nothing seriously wrong.