Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Four year old VPK problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Four year old VPK problems

My son is four and is the Voluntary Kindergarden Program, my husband and I both work so he attends the after care program as well, both programs are in the daycare program he has attended for the past year. On average he is in daycare from 9am to 3pm most days. My husband and I did a lot of research in daycare providers and he is really in a good program. Recently he has become such a behavior problem at school that we have been asked to come and get him on two occassions. They have a card system in place, green is good behavior, yellow is a warning, red is multiple behavior problems, sad face and you are asked to leave. He gets red and yellow cards most days. We have tried earning charts at home, treasure boxes for good behavior at school, ice cream for good days, pretty much anything we can think of. We have been consistent about giving him praise and encouraging him to have good days. On red card days he loses all privledges and goes to bed after dinner. Nothing is working, he mostly gets in trouble for not listening to his teachers, disrupting the other children during naptime and talking back to the teachers. We are at a loss and just don't know what to do next, he is in jeopardy of getting kicked out of the program if his behavior continues to be this poor. I am also 9 months pregnant and I am scared this is my fault for this life change.    
My 4 year old just started head start. He is getting in trouble all the time too. For the same reasons. But I took away his toy gun and train set. His favorite two toys. It seemed to work for a little bit. Now he is a brat again.

I need help too.
I'm wondering if your son just does not know how to socialize with his peers.  I am assuming he is an "only" child and thus has not learned the "give and take" required in a school environment - an environment different from home (but will change with the arrival of a new sibling).  Also, if I understood your posting, if a child acts up, he is asked to leave - maybe this is your son's way of getting out of "that place" - just because his parents think it is a good school with a good program does not mean this is a good school with a suitable program for your child.  Just wondering ....
He is not exactly an only child, but his siblings are alot older (19 and 18). He has been okay at socializing up to this point, but it appears to be part of the problem, ironically he gets along fairly well with the other children and is well liked by his peers. He has been asked to leave twice, both this week, he is not aware of this, both times I was on my way to get him when he card was turned to a sad face (meaning I would be called to come and get him). We were offered to put him in kindergarden because he is academically ahead and said no because we felt he was just too young to be pushed into that environment, we felt that the social development of a 5-6 yr old is just so different that it would put him at a disadvantage. Now I am wonder if we should have let him go ahead. Its like he is bored and gets distracted. Thanks for your post.
Bored would cause that.
Bored causes a child to be disrespectful to his teachers?/

Don't change tactics yet- you're going to confuse him- stick with the same consequences til the end of the semester... the consequences you are using are PERFECT- he is losing free time because you are having to lose time from work to get him from school- EXCELLENT......