Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Frequent BMs and Yeast Infections

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Frequent BMs and Yeast Infections

My 21-month old has always had frequent BMs, approximately 8-12 per day.  She also has frequent diaper rashes (probably due to the amount of BMs) and yeast infections.  She does not have diarrhea and she's not constipated, she just poops all the time!  Up to this point, it's only been a minor inconvenience, but now it's becoming a problem.  You can tell when she's feeling the urge to poop because she gets this look of absolute terror on her face.  She stiffens her legs and tightens her butt muscles and tries so hard not to poop.  Then she starts screaming.  I don't know if it hurts when she's going, or if it's because she knows that a diaper change is soon to follow.  I'm actually surprised that someone hasn't walked by our house and called CPS because of the screaming.  She's screaming because it hurts, I'm crying because she's crying.  Anyway, we're doing everything that's recommended for diaper rash...rash cream, baking soda in the bath, rinsing the wipes before using them or just using wet paper towel, etc.  You name it, we've done it.  But I feel that the rashes are just a side effect of the real problem, the frequent BMs.  I'm not sure how the yeast infections fit into the scenario.  But those are relatively easy to treat with an anti-fungal cream.  We do have an appointment on Monday to talk to our pediatrician, so I'm trying to gather as much info as I can before then.  Has anyone else experienced this?  
Is she on any antibiotics?

I have the other problem with mine being constipated unless I give her alot of fruits, ect.

Does she eat alot of fruits/juices ?

I have never heard of one having a BM that often. Maybe t something in her diet. She maybe screaming due to the cramping feeling or just not wanting wipes on her due to burning the yeast infection.

Mine also screams at diaper changes which drives me insane. A simple task turns into a major deal. Ihave started giving her a book or toy to try to focus her on something else.

Let us know what the pedi said- Im interested in what they think about her doing this so often.
No, she is not on antibiotics.  She used to eat at least one banana and one apple every day, and I would give her watered down apple juice sometimes.  We cut that out of her diet a few weeks ago to see if it was causing the problem.  But there has been no change in her BM pattern to date.  

I'll let you know what the pedi says.  I'm curious too.  
Hello

my toddler is expericing the same thing - what do the Doc say ??

Thank you

David
Try getting yogurt into her diet often.  With will have her ph level balance out and decrease the yeast infections and can also help with the BM.