Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
GERD and speech delay

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

GERD and speech delay

My 20 months old sone has GERD since birth. It was recognised only at 6 months of age after I insist that he is not gaining weight apropriatly as well as vomiting. I told my pediatricias that he has GERD ( I'm surgeon by tranning). His GERD now controled by Nexium. He was eating only by botle until age of 1, than he finalluy started to accept spoon. Now he eat with spoon but only blanded food, he doesn't chew and often keeps food in his mouth for a while prior to swallowing. He doesn't speak any words, just boublling "ka-ka" "gam" "tam" and a combination of that. He has speech therapist twice a week but She just play with him and I see no progress. I would like to know what I can do myself to help my son since therapist did not advised me anything. Thank you so much.
I don't know a lot about it, but I have heard that reflux can affect speech and development. You may want to talk to the doctor, or do some research on it.

Also, my son had 'pyloric stenosis' when he was a baby - they kept telling me that all babies spit up, etc, and told me I'm just overreacting. But he was throwing up everything; turned out his stomach muscles were over-developing and no food could go to his intestine.  It took 6 visits to the hospital before they finally listened and did an ultrasound, and he had to have surgery to fix it!
Also, you might want to try a different speech therapist if she doesn't seem to be helping.
Thank you so much, I know that pyloric stenosis as well as pyloric spasm are common diagnosis in kids, but it is diagnosis at early age around 2 to 6 months. And it was first thing that I check myself. I am surgeon by training and pratice. I do appriciate you help.
Hello, could you tell me what exactly GERD is?  I have a20mth old son who has been suffering from vomiting on average once or twice a month, that somtimes will last 2 or more days.  We have not been able to link any food allergies to it.  He has undergone several blood and urine tests but nothing has come up.  Much of the time when it happens it seems just so sporadic, he is still content, no fever,ect.  He has been put on high calorie diet as he went from 50% down to 3% on chart.    He also is not taling yet, no more than 3 words. But most definately understands what is being said or asked of him.     At 18mths I asked the dr. about his speech and he just said that boys tend to progress slower than girls, I am going to take him again and see if I can get himn set up with a speech therapists.  In the mean time I don't know what to do but encourage him to repeat sounds/words that I say and if he makes a word somewhat correct like cup he says bup, I say yes that is your cup but I try to really distinguish the sound for him.     Anyways if you know of any specific tewsts I should maybe ask for I would appreciate if you could halp me.              And best of luck to you and your child.
Take care.