Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Genital Trauma and resulting potty-training regression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

My 3.5 year old daughter fell in the bathtub at a hotel on Monday, she urinated without incident about 2 hours after, but the next time, at about 5 hours post fall, she refused to urinate due to pain. I called the advice nurse and she said if she doesn't pee overnight to take her to the ER. In the morning her diaper was dry and she refused to pee.

We spent 4-5 hours at the ER, and they finally placed a Foley Catheter to drain her bladder. They tested her urine and checked her visually, and she has no external damage and no infections. They told us that her urethra was probably swollen and it would be painful for 3-4 days. We were told to give her motrin or ibuprofen every 6 hours for the next 3 days.

She has not had any problems peeing in her diaper since then, and we have kept the advil going steady. The problem is that she was fully day time potty-trained, wearing a diaper only for naptime & bedtime since about August. Now she is refusing to sit on the potty - she cries and screams and won't even try to pee anywhere but in a diaper.

Am I just expecting the emotional trauma to be gone too soon?? I am so worried that she has completely regressed and that we are back to square one with potty-training with a new emotional block.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get her to go back to the potty? We used sticker rewards for the initial training, now she pees in her diaper and says "I get a sticker", and I am saying, "no. stickers are for pee pee in the potty only"

I can't seem to get through to her that if it doesn't hurt in the diaper, it won't hurt to use the potty.

PLEASE help!!!!