Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
Getting my 9 month old to sleep

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

Getting my 9 month old to sleep

Hiya, i ahve always rocked my 9 month old to sleep, so now i am trying to get him to sleep by putting him in his cot. but he just screams, i have tryed a supper, bath , bottle bed. I leave him to cry for a while but its to stressful. as soon as i go get him within 5 mins he is asleep in my arms :s

What should i do? should i leave him to cry or should i rock him to sleep?
xx
I think we all go through this.  My son did not sleep through the night until he was about this age, and only because I sort of forced the issue.  

For many at this age, they have not yet learned to self sooth.  I got that book "Happy Babies, Healthy Sleep Habits" and it really helped.  What we did was put him down in his own bed.  He would cry.  I would wait about 5 minutes or so, then go in, rub his back and talk very quietly to him for a few minutes.  I would not pick him up out of his bed or turn on any lights.  We repeated this, slowly extending the time we let him cry.  We did this two nights, and it worked.  Of course now, at 19 months he is up again in the night..lol, but this really worked well at this age.  

It's good your keeping night time routine consistent. That really helps.  And make sure that when you put him down, he is drowsy, but still awake.  When we put them down asleep, then when they wake up I think it's scary for them as your not there. Putting them down awake, but drowsy really helps.  

I know letting them cry a bit is very stressful, but for some babies it's the only thing that works. Best of luck to you!
I've put my kid son their crib and if they cry, I'll stand and hug them (keeping them in their crib) and whisper that it's time for night-night.  I did this  once with my son for over 20 minutes...  Eventually he stopped crying and he layer down on his own. I rubbed his back a little and he was asleep.  I'm not a huge fan of letting kids cry-it-out but have done it.  I know that they're safe in there.  We've gone in after 5 min, then 7 min, and so on.  Eventually they do stop crying.  Our pediatrician said if you go in don't get them out of the crib.  I don't there there is ONE right answer - you have to find what is going to work best for you and your family.  I agree with the other post about routines and being consistent.  Good luck finding what is going to work for you.
I rocked my son to sleep until he was 15 months old. Cry it out wasn't for him. It wasn't that bad and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with rocking a baby to sleep if that is what they find soothing. They are only this little for so long. Soon they are too old to want to be rocked to sleep. When my son was ready to not be rocked anymore he just gave it up. Not all babies who are rocked to sleep develop it into a 'bad habit'. Heck we co-slept for awhile too and he transitioned great to his crib later so long as I still snuggled and rocked him to sleep. It didn't take long, maybe 10 minutes. My daughter in the other hand we let cry because she flat refused to be rocked to sleep. She would get more worked up when we tried. If we let her cry she would never cry for long, unlike my son who would just get louder and more upset. What you choose to do with each child depends on what works best for them. If he goes to sleep easily by being rocked then I would just keep doing that.
ive had this problem too and still till this day i do.. however i have stopped letting my 11mo old get his way.. he get put into his bed and i turn on lullabies and i give him his bottle and i tell him good night see you in the morning and i walk out of the room.. yes hell cry for a lil bit but than hes outt...
ive spoken to the dr cuz of my son not sleeping and he suggested letting him cry.. dont pick him up and hell fall asleep and than in the morning hell realize that your there even after him crying like he did... it should only take a few days a wk at the most for him to get comfortable to this change... yes its stressful but you cant jus throw your hands up and say ok you win cuz than he/she know theyve won...lol

hope this has helped you..