Parenting Toddlers (1-5) Community
HALLUCINATIONS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to the challenges of parenting toddlers (age 1-5), including physical, speech, sensory, cognitive and emotional development, choosing a daycare/nanny, games & activities, and toilet training.

HALLUCINATIONS

My daughter just turned 3 years old on 11/08. She had had some hallucinations, very short and maybe not clearly explained because she was young. She would wake up scared and seing things.
Last Saturday night 11/17 she woke me up and clearly, unconfusingly described me that bugs, bees and flies way one here. Some times flies would even go into her mouth. This happened two times during the night. The two sessions lasted easly 20 minutes.
Sunday day was okay. It happened even during the day. It happened when she was in the tub for a bath. Last night, we slept quietly until the morning. But it happened again when she was eating her breakfast. It is now more frequent and last longer than before.
I ready some parents' experiences. I would say that we did not go through any trauma or changes in our family and life as I can judge that should have negative impact on our children. She is going to preschool. We insure our three children get a nap. Before starting school the nap time was 2:00 to whenever they would wake up. Now it is from 3:15 to whenever they would wake up.
She does not show any other symptoms on the body or behavior.
1) Is this curable?
2) How long would it last?
3) What psychological tricks I can use to build up her streingth, aknowlodging she is very young?
I just saw your post and was wondering if your daughter is still seeing things. I just posted a similar experience with my son (http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/392221) and was wondering how things have progressed with your daughter or if you may have any answers that would be helpful. My son will be 3 in April and it's been hard to get him to clearly tell us what he is seeing or what's scaring him. The one thing he did mention several times was a monkey but he also says he is seeing other things as well. I hope your daughter is doing well now and would really appreciate anything you may have to offer as it's very hard to watch my son be so scared.
This is not a topic I am familiar with, except your descriptions sound like night terrors.  However, it doesn't seem like this is only happening when your child is sleeping, correct?  I would definitely talk to your doctor about this.  Is your child taking albuterol, by any chance?  My daughter suffered from night terrors and she was prescribed albuterol for asthma.  They said that this medication might increase the terrors - and they did!
Our first thought was night terrors but the doctor says that doesn't seem to be the case since the fears are continuing thru the day as well. We were told with night terrors he should not remember any of it once he wakes up but my son is claiming to see things during the day as well. We have to keep the curtains closed in the living room as he keeps claiming to see something outside. We've tried to explain to him that what he's seeing is reflections but he's still scared. He also claims to see things under the table, behind the sofa, etc. The doctor says to give it about a week and see if it stops. This started Saturday night and the past two days haven't been as bad as it was earlier in the week so hopefully the dr is right. It's been really hard having to watch my son be so scared and feel like there's nothing I can do. We just keep reassuring him that everything is ok and that he's safe.
It sounds like you are doing everything you can do.  I can imagine how frustrating and scarry this is for you.  Good luck and keep us posted.
PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRAY FOR THIS CHILD. CHILDREN ARE PRONE TO SEEING THINGS WE CAN'T. OPEN YOURSELF TO THE POSSIBILITY THAT HIS FATHER  ( GOD) IS CALLING YOU TO ASK FOR HIS POWERFUL PRESCENCE IN YOUR HOME. HE LOVES AND CARES FOR YOU AND YOUR HOME AND FAMILY. I AM NOT A NUT CASE JUST A MOTHER AND BELEIVER.  JUST SAYING THE NAME OF JESUS IN YOUR HOME WITH PASSION  WORKS.  ISAIAH 41: 13 SAYS, I THE LORD YOUR GOD WILL HOLD YOUR RIGHT HAND , SAYING TO YOU, FEAR NOT , I WILL HELP YOU.
   THAT IS HIS PROMISE. THIS IS TO ALL THOSE PARENTS WHO ARE HAVING SCARY THINGS HAPPEN TO YOUR CHILDREN WHATEVER IT MAY BE.  BE THEIR PROTECTION, FIND THE WORDS THEY CAN'T!
Thank you Salyna!  I am almost in tears as I have read your note. Praise the Lord!!!  I have been awake all night with my 2yr son in the ER/hospital. The doctors admitted him this morning for having these hallucinations (about fish bitting him).   They gave him 2 doses of a sedative, that did not seem to work.  We called our pastor to the hospital to pray for us.  The pastor on call in the hospital came in also to pray with us and to read the Bible with us.  My son broke from those hallucinations instantly after this.  He is still in the hospital now for overnight observation.  I claim/believe that he is healed.  My husband and I will believe and speak it into existence.  I tell parents to definitely believe in GOD to see you though this.  This is by far the scariest thing that I have ever been through in my life.
Sorry, my last note was addressed to you remarks.
I just saw your post - and my grandson is 2- he wakes up screaming about a monkey- but during the day, he will be playing and then his eyes will look next to him and he will say "no monkey" and be really afraid. When he comes to my house he will say- no monkeys in Grandma's house? It happens every couple days and we don't know what could be causing this?? I was wondering if you had any advice- and I hope your little one is having an easier time.
my 22 month old daughter has been "freaking out" for a week now. In the tub, during feedings, in the car, at bedtime. It's as if she feels something is on her. It's funny cuz it started after she went to doctor and received 4 innoculations. Everyone I talk to says that they shouldn't have given her 4. The max is maybe 2. I'm going to take her to the doc but I already know they're going to be in denial when I tell them it all started after they gave her those shots.
SAME THING happened to my daughter last night - strange thing is, all of our kids are seeing the same things - animals of some type - my daughter also saw bugs (spiders, etc) and "'stinky animal things'" and "fish biting" and "eating" her. And same thing - I gave her something to help her sleep - to no avail. We called our Priest at 4 am (we are Eastern Orthodox Christians), he talked to her on the phone for 15 minutes (the longest time she had gone the whole night without seeing anything - she was smiling and nodding to whatever he was saying to her. Then, he told me he would say some special prayers for this situation when we got off the phone. 10-15 minutes later after we got off the phone (and he was saying the prayers) her kicking and screaming episodes faded away. We also were instructed by him to put Holy water and Holy oil on her head a little bit, which helped tremendously too. This morning she has full recollection of everything she saw and is a little shell shocked from it, but okay. Just thought I'd post our experience to let you all know and maybe gain some understanding of how this sort of thing works. It is not medical and not night terrors. It is demonic activity plain and simple and it flees at the name of Jesus Christ. God bless you all and your children! May God be with us all.
My four year old had the exact same thing last night.  Hers were bugs.  She was fully awake and could describe them in detail: they were green jumping bugs that turned brown when they landed on people.  It was so terrifying to watch her seeing things that were not there and it lasted an hour and a half-- of pure terror!  Please post answers from doctors; I want to know the medical reason this is happening.  I'm wondering if it is related to all the Halloween candy she's been eating.  I feel like I saw a connection between hallucinations and high blood sugar.  I will post again if I find anything concrete.  Thanks for all your posts; its been great to know we're not alone.  
I did some research on the subject, and I found a very reassuring article, on exactly this subject, from the Journal of American Pediatric Psychiatry.  
I am attaching a link here, but it makes the following points:
1. Hallucinations of this type, which are not connected to other psychotic disorders, occur out of a phobic period in the child's life
2. This mostly happens to very bright, independent children
3. It can last for several days, but then no repeat occurrences will happen
4.  Almost always, there is an underlying stressor, such as family changes-- marital problems, death of a grandparent, that brings this on
I hope this article helps you as much as it did me!

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/jacp/article/S0002-7138(10)60020-9/abstract

i was curious to know what has happened since then? im going through this with my daughter and doctors have ruled out so much but the concern is still there. she had an eeg yesterday but results arent in, as a parent you know how scary this can be...